JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Saint Carmicheal of the Conflagration
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Saint Carmicheal of the Conflagration
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:15 pm  
    Saint Carmicheal of the Conflagration

Anybody know lore, or whatever canonical status, on this figure?

Is he part of published GH?

I recall someone (maybe one of the posters here) published an entry in a magic item contest that included a version of this saint as Slerotin under a new name, having broken his staff and renounced wizardly arts/.
    IIRC
    GreySage

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:00 pm  
    Re: Saint Carmicheal of the Conflagration

CombatMedic wrote:

Sort of. He's mentioned in B1 In Search of the Unknown. The pre-generated NPC hirelings in that module include a cleric of St. Carmichael (Dohram) and a cleric of St. Cuthbert (Tassit). Other faiths mentioned in B1 include the Bringer, the Holy Brotherhood, the Great Church, and the Secret Church.

The "of the Conflagration" part is fanon, though, from Fred Weining's article on Blackmoor in Oerth Journal #5. It's just "Saint Carmichael" in the module.

Quote:
    I recall someone (maybe one of the posters here) published an entry in a magic item contest that included a version of this saint as Slerotin under a new name, having broken his staff and renounced wizardly arts/.
    IIRC

That was me, although the idea that he was Slerotin was only one suggestion. Nowadays I prefer the idea that he was the leader of a theocracy in the Sheldomar made up of Suel refugees, before the coming of Slerotin and his twelve houses. The Theocracy of the Conflagration was full of magic-hating zealots who blamed mages for all their suffering and exile, burning books of magic when they found them or any book that seemed too friendly to magic. The houses of Rhola and Neheli defeated the theocracy in battle, but St. Carmichael is still revered among the peasantry, contributing to witch-hunts and sorcerer-burnings in the countryside. The House of Neheli and the Silent Ones actually found his faith useful, since they tend to dislike unlicensed mages anyway, and at least one king held him as his patron. Maybe.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:06 am  
    Re: Saint Carmicheal of the Conflagration

rasgon wrote:
    CombatMedic wrote:

Sort of. He's mentioned in B1 In Search of the Unknown. The pre-generated NPC hirelings in that module include a cleric of St. Carmichael (Dohram) and a cleric of St. Cuthbert (Tassit). Other faiths mentioned in B1 include the Bringer, the Holy Brotherhood, the Great Church, and the Secret Church.

The "of the Conflagration" part is fanon, though, from Fred Weining's article on Blackmoor in Oerth Journal #5. It's just "Saint Carmichael" in the module.

Quote:
    IIRC

That was me, although the idea that he was Slerotin was only one suggestion. Nowadays I prefer the idea that he was the leader of a theocracy in the Sheldomar made up of Suel refugees, before the coming of Slerotin and his twelve houses. The Theocracy of the Conflagration was full of magic-hating zealots who blamed mages for all their suffering and exile, burning books of magic when they found them or any book that seemed too friendly to magic. The houses of Rhola and Neheli defeated the theocracy in battle, but St. Carmichael is still revered among the peasantry, contributing to witch-hunts and sorcerer-burnings in the countryside. The House of Neheli and the Silent Ones actually found his faith useful, since they tend to dislike unlicensed mages anyway, and at least one king held him as his patron. Maybe.

Ah, cool!

Thanks for the info.

I believe that I have that module. I had held off reading it because at one point my wife though she might run it as a first-time DM, but she's found some other stuff she might use instead.

I'll check it out.
    GreySage

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:27 pm  

There was also a version of St. Carmichael by Tal Meta, which you can read about on his Greyhawk gods site. The words "Greyhawk gods site" are a link, in case it isn't visually clear; Carmichael is described in his Flannish Gods pdf, appearing as the god of peace in a trio of servitors of Rao. In Tal Meta's scheme, St. Carmichael represents peace, St. Cuthbert represents wisdom, and St. Trowbane represents serenity, each of them representing one of Rao's spheres of influence.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:53 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    There was also a version of St. Carmichael by Tal Meta, which you can read about on his Greyhawk gods site. The words "Greyhawk gods site" are a link, in case it isn't visually clear; Carmichael is described in his Flannish Gods pdf, appearing as the god of peace in a trio of servitors of Rao. In Tal Meta's scheme, St. Carmichael represents peace, St. Cuthbert represents wisdom, and St. Trowbane represents serenity, each of them representing one of Rao's spheres of influence.

RUNEQUEST!

Heck yeah.

Thanks for the link.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: