Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Reviving Greyhawk. A letter-writing campaign.
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Reviving Greyhawk. A letter-writing campaign.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:06 pm  
    Reviving Greyhawk. A letter-writing campaign.

This was posted over at the Wotc boards. Looks interesting, so I thought to repost it here.

begin quote

There are a lot of Greyhawk fans out there who no doubt feel their favorite setting has been passed over and abandoned by the current designers of D&D. While this sad turn of events has stirred up frustration and discontent amongst fans, we shouldn't forget that there are options still open to us as a gaming community.

Our voice counts for something, and that is why I propose a letter-writing campaign on behalf of Greyhawk. When you think about it, letters are powerful things. They're tactile, take up space on a desk, and demand they be answered in kind. Furthermore, they resonate with energy, and are hard to throw away. That's why I believe actual letters will have a greater impact on Wotc game-designers than an irrate email or a request thread on a messageboard.

The tone of these letters need not be aggressive (or rude), merely firm in the resolve that you would like to see Greyhawk receive more support and funding than it has seen in the past few years. Illustrate that you are a loyal customer of Wotc, one of many that wish to see the setting restored to its former glory. Tell them what D&D and Greyhawk mean to you.

Lastly, ask for your response. Do not supply an email address. Make it known that you have taken the time to write to them and deserve an equally respectful response. This will have a greater effect than you think. If you find that response to be dissatisfactory, you are well within your rights to continue your communication with Wotc, requesting that Greyhawk receive the fair and equitable treatment it deserves as D&D's classic setting.

Remember, this is your chance to be heard. Do not be dissuaded from what others might write in response to this email. There is nothing wrong with consumer feedback. All companies encourage such behavior and depend upon it for their livelihood.

If you love Greyhawk, make your feelings known. All you need is a stamp, an envelope, a piece of paper, and a few minutes of your time.

Here is the address...

Wizards of the Coast
    D&D Brand manager
    PO Box 707
    Renton, WA. 98057

end quote
    CF Admin

Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:41 pm  

Hey thanks for posting it. A similar idea was suggested for a compilation of the LGJ. See http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1073566#post1073566. There I posted the following draft letter:
    Quote:
    Dear Gentlepersons,

Recent discussion at the Living Greyhawk folder in the forums provided by Wizards of the Coast has turned to the project of publishing a compilation of those issues of the Living Greyhawk Journal that were published as independent magazines.

This letter constitutes an inquiry regarding Wizards' and Paizo's interest in producing such a compilation and a formal request for same. Fans of the World of Greyhawk setting, and players of the Living Greyhawk campaign present a significant consumer base that is ready made to purchase this recompilation. Because the individual issues already exist, producing a compilation should be less costly.

In order to demonstrate the significance of the consumer demand for this product, fans and players are researching data. What specific information would be useful to your decision regarding this project?

Within a week, we could gauge the number of interested consumers via a poll hosted online. Should we also solicit information regarding the price people would be willing to pay? Would it be useful to provide you with a list of "pre-orders?"

The consumer base represented by fans of the World of Greyhawk is substantial and ready to purchase official products (even recompilations).

I look forward to hearing your response. Your professional attention to this matter is greatly appreciated.

Very truly yours,

Marc Tizoc Gonzalez

Also, at the Greyhawk boards, a request was made for more GH products. See http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57940. Below is the letter I drafted for that "campaign."
    Quote:
    Dear Gentleperson,

I write you today to advocate that Wizards of the Coast produce new products dedicated to the World of Greyhawk fantasy setting. As the oldest setting developed for the precursor to Dugeons & Dragons, the World of Greyhawk has great potential to augment existing lines of roleplaying game products. Greyhawk has a large and active fanbase that transcends members of the RPGA, and that desires to purchase official material.

While I do not know the business realities, I want you to know that I am ready to buy Greyhawk products, and I wonder why such are not produced. Please note that I have purchased the recently released Scourge of Worlds DVD, which I enjoy. I bought it because of its connection to the World of Greyhawk setting. Beyond that licensed product, I want to see Wizards develop a Greyhawk product line with comparable printing/binding standards to that of the Forgotten Realms line.

I very strongly urge you to meet my consumer demands.

Very truly yours,

~Marc Tizoc Gonzalez
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: