JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Hob- er, Halflings
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Hob- er, Halflings
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:57 pm  
    Hob- er, Halflings

I run a 3.5 GH campaign, circa 586. I last played/DMed in the mid-80s, first edition rules, but this old dog is learning new tricks.

I've noticed a few minor changes to the base races, and one major change: Halflings.

Here are a couple of paragraphs from my "What you should know" document (Rule 0.5?). I include the Gnome paragraph to differentiate between the two races:

Halflings are more like Hobbits than Gypsy/Kender. Their culture is rural, and some of the best vegetables and herbs come from Halfling villages. However, there is a definite spark of adventure in the blood. Although not customary, it is not uncommon for a Halfling to go adventuring for a few years before settling down with a farm and family. Halflings who don’t settle down are considered irresponsible (and secretly envied) by those who do. Halfling subraces differ slightly, and do not affect game mechanics. Rumors of Deep Halflings are scoffed at by anyone who knows anything about Halflings.

Gnomes are more urban, although they retain their appreciation of the wilderness. Even Gnome villages in distant hills will have a technical feel. However, their technology is respectful of nature, and it is conjectured by Human scholars that Gnomes are technologically inventive because of (not in spite of) their love of nature. Forest Gnomes do exist, and rumors of the Deep Gnomes abound, although proof is difficult to find.

Other than the description, the game-mechanics of Halflings haven't changed. Yet.

Has anyone made changes to the 3.5 races to better fit the 1st or 2nd edition concepts?

Telas

(If this has been answered previously, my apologies.)[/i]
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:19 pm  

I'm in two minds about halflings. To be honest I find the orignal version of halflings to be a shocking and shameful re-hash of Tolkien's hobbits. Hobbits are so intrinsically Middle-Earth that they feel out of place anywhere else.

The 3.5 version of halflings has tried to shape them towards the kender of Dragonlance and do something new with them but at the same time as much as the original halfling felt out of place from the Shire this new halfling feels out of place in Greyhawk.

So far I haven't had a single player that has wanted to be a halfling and as halflings comprise but a small portion of the population of the Flanaess they have been conveniently ignored...I figure they keep themselves to themselves. At most they are mentioned in passing.

If they were to be disappear from the world of Greyhawk I woudnt bat an eye lid but I appreciate that theremay be some who love the wee folk.

actually - I should have thought about what I was typing - because in these last few minutes I realise I have nothing useful to contribute other than I think they should all migrate elsewhere...sorry Telas!

So, I too would be interested to hear on how people deal with halflings in their campaigns. I think I would tend to go with the original hobbit version perhaps as this was the way they were initially intended for Greyhawk.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:29 am  
    Admins....

Admins: If you think this topic would be better served in the "Greyhawk D20" Forum, feel free to move it there.

I can add other "Rule 0.5" paragraphs to expound on my efforts to shoehorn 3.5 into GH. (Although some personal mods have been made, too.) Frankly, I'd appreciate the feedback from the experienced 'Hawkers.

Telas
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:14 am  
    Shamless Stealing

Well, I guess halfling were shamless theft from ME, but I think that is the reason I have always liked them. For my campaigns, they are rarely PC's, because they simply are not that warlike.

They make excellent rogues, but also experts, merchants, informants, and bards. They almost always wander in troups or caravans of wagons, though in certain areas they have setllements. They DO NOT have holes, but prefer nice low cottages, though they may have earthen rooves.

I have had halfling troops in past campaigns. They are mobile archers, and they worked with deadly efficiency. Basically every cavalry man has a (s) longbowman or slinger on the back of their horse. Because the halfling is so small, their weight does not hinder the horse on overland marches.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:50 am  
    Re: Shamless Stealing

Anced_Math wrote:
    I have had halfling troops in past campaigns. They are mobile archers, and they worked with deadly efficiency. Basically every cavalry man has a (s) longbowman or slinger on the back of their horse. Because the halfling is so small, their weight does not hinder the horse on overland marches.

Excuse me, but I'm going to shamelessly plagiarize this idea. Happy I think it will fit particularly well in the Yeomanry. Halfling slinger/scouts may also augment Dwarven heavy infantry.

(Although Halflings do still live in a hole in the ground. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell.... I've gotta give my props to the J to the R to the R.)

What's this, another idea? Crew-served Gnomish heavy crossbows... Stop everything! I'm thinking...

Telas
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:03 pm  
    Telas....

Please send all commissions and royalties to.... Happy

Glad you like it. Just think, with a large cloak on each rider, you can deliver twice as many troops to the field, without the enemy commander even knowing it. Right before his very eyes the hills come alive with the sound of drunken halfling slingers!! Cool
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:08 pm  
    Gnomes

Gnomish crew served REPEATING crossbows. Can you think of anything that has ever been more gnomish?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:32 pm  

Repeating crossbows, like an M60 - my thoughts exactly.

Lt Dan: "Get that pig up here!!"

I was thinking of using a Large Heavy Crossbow (2d8 damage) with a magazine size of six bolts and a crew of three (gunner and two loaders). It fires twice a round for three rounds, then requires a full round to reload, or something like that. They're commonly set up as two supporting pairs, so three are firing at any given round. Takes a full round to prepare to move them, or to stabilize after moving. Add some rules for hasty firing, etc.

Telas the former grunt.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: