Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Keep on the Borderlands, temple of chaos thoughts
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition
    The Keep on the Borderlands, temple of chaos thoughts
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:53 am  
    The Keep on the Borderlands, temple of chaos thoughts

Ah it's great to be back in Greyhawk!

I know, I know, old topic. But different edition, new group(s), so let's go!

Placed the keep between Princ. of Ulek & the Pomarj, near the Suss Forest. I have two different parties operating in the adventure at the same time, though I'll see if I can guide one toward Quasqueton/Caves of the Unknown.

Since a Hidden Temple of Erythnul isn't too far away (using the Anna Meyer map, 576 as a reference), I'm really thinking (thought) the temple of evil chaos follows Erythnul. Seems like a good fit for the area, had been my plan all during prep. But then, of course last second, an intrusive thought hit & I can't shake it--Orcus would be an interesting twist as well, especially given all the undead guards.

This adventure may or may not develop into a full campaign, I'll read each group and see, but there could be a lot of follow on using a growing Orcus influence.

Any ideas? Anyone have folks chase followers of Orcus across the Flaeness?

Also, it seems nigh impossible to find a legit copy (pdf) of OAR's conversion. They seemed to have pulled it completely? (If there ever was a pdf option)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:32 am  

Both Erythnul and Orcus make a good fit for the Temple of Chaos, as does any chaotic evil patron - that’s the beauty of its design. I once ran it as a Temple to Baphomet to embellish on the presence of the Minotaur.

I recently read Greyhawk Musings postulate the temple devoted to the Elder Elemental God, which I quite like as well. If I ever run this again, I’ll probably try it this way.
    GreySage

Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:36 pm  

Luz wrote:
    I recently read Greyhawk Musings postulate the temple devoted to the Elder Elemental God, which I quite like as well. If I ever run this again, I’ll probably try it this way.

Of course, I devote the Temple of Evil Chaos in the Caves of Chaos to Iuz and place it in the northern Vesve. If you go with Luz's suggestion of the Elder Elemental God, you could tie it into the Temple of Elemental Evil, since the EEG was an invention of Iuz in that module as well. It may be that Iuz planted more than one such temple seed around the Flanaess and this one in the Principality of Ulek is a second such to be discovered first by your PCs.

SirXaris

Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:46 pm  

The EEG is a great idea. Hmmmm

B2 is just so versatile. I think I ran it once or twice with Iuz (way back in the day). It can be used in most any Greyhawk locale.

I'm also using pre-wars Greyhawk. Probably because I'm most familiar with that era, and I'm also heavily influenced by nostalgia.

I imagine I'll have a fair amount of 5e questions as this develops (never used it before--tried to a few years ago but it just never launched)
    GreySage

Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:32 pm  

jtylerk wrote:
    I'm also using pre-wars Greyhawk. Probably because I'm most familiar with that era, and I'm also heavily influenced by nostalgia.

If you're not familiar with my pre-Greyhawk Wars The Keep on the Borderlands campaign blog here on Canonfire!, here is a link for some ideas.

http://canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5218

Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:39 am  

Thanks for the link! I read that back a number of years ago and it is a great read. Never underestimate the kobolds!!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: