JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk: Critical Threats
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk: Critical Threats
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:25 pm  
    Greyhawk: Critical Threats

One of the many things I loved about the later print editions of Dungeon Magazine was some of the write-ups of Greyhawk characters, e.g. Evard and Warduke. So that got me thinking I should write some articles like of that nature. Which then begs the question of whom to write about. So, Greyhawkers, what characters from Greyhawk would you like to be written up in this way?

I guess some of the more enigmatic figures (like Philidor the Blue and Cobb Darg) would be hard to do without major spoilers? And yes - they are not 'Threats' but I'm being pretty broad. My initial votes are Lord Obmi and Melf Brightflame.

You could also propose a non-named character, but rather an idea - like one of the Scarlet Brotherhood top assassins or some members of the Boneshadow. Also top thieves, evil mages, senior clerics of evil deities etc.

Just interested to know if you liked the write-ups too and if you had any ideas on who you would like to see.
    GreySage

Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:02 pm  

Off the top of my head, here are some NPCs I'd like to see presented as Critical Threat topics. This list only includes those I don't recall ever seeing stats for.

Tuerny, the Merciless
    Tzunk
    Keraptis
    Members of the Greater and Lesser Boneheart
    The Hierarchs
    Lerrick
    Erac's Cousin
    Emerikol, the Chaotic
    Lyzandred, the Mad
    Kas
    Arnd
    Joyhedee
    Saint Benedor
    Saint Ceril

Other suggestions:

Offer statistical conversions for special individuals in published modules for each edition of D&D (and, maybe, Pathfinder), making sure to include special equipment each is likely to use. Such as:

Chief Nosnra, his cloud giant advisor, and The Keeper;
    Jarl Grugnir and any special guests in the glacial rift;
    King Snurre, Ironbelly;
    Maybe give Belgos and Silussa some class levels;
    Drelnza;

SirXaris

Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:24 am  

I think the Greater and Lesser Boneheart were described in detail in Iuz the Evil.

Tuerny, in Nalfeshnee form is detailed in Return of the Eight.

Lyzandred the Mad is detailed in The Crypt of Lyzandred the Mad, at least in lich form.

The Hierarchs would be the most interesting to me, or at least anyones's interpretation. Of all the major villains circa 576 CY, they are the ones we still know the least about, though I have my own ideas...
    CF Admin

Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:34 pm  

I like the idea and have thought about submitting NPCs from my Hold of the Sea Princes campaign. Many of the NPC antagonists would fit well with the Critical Threats theme, and a couple of them derive from characters named in the Scarlet Brotherhood and/or the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer.

For example, I've developed "Emissary Turian" (who later might become Elder Brother Hammandaturian, should the PCs not defeat him) and William of the Axe (renamed Vilik Axson), who featured in a Treasures of Greyhawk adventure, "On the Town," as the ostler of "The Weary Traveler" in Monmurg with a secret life.

I've also developed numerous original antagonists, several of whom might interest the CF! community, including Lady Æltesh, emissary of the Kingdom of Shar to the Prince of Monmurg; Imen, a "child of Syrul' (su-doppleganger); Captain-General Emirikol, the leader of the Brotherhood's military invasion (similarly named but not the same person as the infamous magic-user of DMG fame); and Særvaül, who leads the death cult of Nerull in Monmurg, which I call the "Latreía’te Nerull."
    GreySage

Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:55 pm  

It sounds like this might be a great topic for a new Postfest!

I would suggest that people be free to submit whatever NPCs they like. Different write-ups for the same NPC give DMs options for which they prefer for their own campaigns and even offer different options for different time-periods.

SirXaris

Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:52 am  

A postfest sounds grand. It's been so long since I've seen one, how do you call for it nowadays?

Also, I can't recall which OJ issue featured it, but I'm recalling an article that presented several versions (different levels, mostly) of NPCs, drawing on a similar device in one of the City of Greyhawk booklets. That might be fun for some posters.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:38 am  

If we're allowing original characters, do they have to be statted out?

I'd be interested in bringing over some of my original villains like Lady Babylon and Kalrek Burunne, but I doubt I'd be much good at statting them properly, plus the human and demihuman characters would be less impressive by the standards of more modern editions and their power creep.
    CF Admin

Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:41 pm  

Whether to stat out a character or not should be up to the individual poster, imo. Some might present full stats. Others might just suggest a level and noteworthy abilities. Also, it will be interesting to see what edition folks are using.
    CF Admin

Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:50 am  

An excellent idea that we’ve covered a bit in the past, but not for quite some time. According to http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3616 the last postfests covering NPCs were 3, 13, and 14, with 14 published in 2010.

I think that this would be postfest 20, assuming we keep #19 assigned to the still-to-be-concluded Underdark one at http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9380

Allan.

Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:50 pm  

Thank Allan! The prior discussion sent me to Postfest III and made me wonder about Postfest XIX, but now I'll look through Postfest XIII and Postfest XIV to learn / remember what we've prior done.

PSmedger and other powers-that-be or folks-in-the-know, I know you have a lot in the works. How does Postfest XIX fit into the schedule and/or Visions of Greyhawk?
    GreySage

Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:44 pm  

grodog wrote:
    An excellent idea that we’ve covered a bit in the past, but not for quite some time. According to http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3616 the last postfests covering NPCs were 3, 13, and 14, with 14 published in 2010.

Help! I can't find the Postfests! Confused

SirXaris

Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:30 pm  

I was hoping this thread might go the way of a postfest. I think character write-ups are some of the most interesting and inspiration reading for world-building. I'm a little surprised there isn't more of that type of article in the new greyhawk e-zines.

I guess we are talking both developing existing 'known' characters as well as introducing brand new Greyhawk characters. Would love to see a post-fest on this.
    CF Admin

Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:32 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    grodog wrote:

Help! I can't find the Postfests! Confused

SirXaris

See http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=46 and more-specifically the sticky thread with links to each postfest at http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3616

I also pinged Gary in Discord too.

Allan.

Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:44 pm  

NPCs/Critical Threats sounds like an excellent topic for a postfest. I would gladly go along with that and contribute too.

I'm putting the final touches on Visions #3, which should come out before the start of the summer, if not sooner.

That will be followed this summer by a Visions Annual Special, a volume that will publish the underdark postfest. It will be dedicated to the late Michael Rapier, aka Leachim the Learned.

Then Visions #4 will be planned for an early fall release. It has room for new articles, its major ones include more revelations about the Sea Princes and a Gazetteer/Map of Port Toli.

That is probably a reasonable cadence. 2 visions a year, plus a special, focused on postfest.

And you are right, there are a lot of irons in the fire, including what might be the biggest Greyhawk project ever, inside or outside the company.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:51 am  
    Re: Greyhawk: Critical Threats

Phalastar wrote:

...I guess some of the more enigmatic figures (like Philidor the Blue and Cobb Darg) would be hard to do without major spoilers...

-You could offer a host of different options:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5192
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:07 pm  

This would be extremely cool. I'd love to see stats for Tuerny, Kas, the Boneheart members (or maybe they're statted in Iuz the Evil? I'd have to check my copy), etc.
    CF Admin

Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:12 pm  

WingofCoot wrote:
    This would be extremely cool. I'd love to see stats for Tuerny, Kas, the Boneheart members (or maybe they're statted in Iuz the Evil? I'd have to check my copy), etc.

I don't believe that they are, but I don't have my copy at hand either. Erik and I had discussed detailing them for the LGJ during the Paizohawk era, but I didn't have the time available to do it, and then of course WotC pulled the license.

Allan.

Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:42 pm  

PSmedger wrote:
    NPCs/Critical Threats sounds like an excellent topic for a postfest. I would gladly go along with that and contribute too.

I'm putting the final touches on Visions #3, which should come out before the start of the summer, if not sooner.

That will be followed this summer by a Visions Annual Special, a volume that will publish the underdark postfest. It will be dedicated to the late Michael Rapier, aka Leachim the Learned.

Then Visions #4 will be planned for an early fall release. It has room for new articles, its major ones include more revelations about the Sea Princes and a Gazetteer/Map of Port Toli.

That is probably a reasonable cadence. 2 visions a year, plus a special, focused on postfest.

And you are right, there are a lot of irons in the fire, including what might be the biggest Greyhawk project ever, inside or outside the company.

This all sounds fantastic! I'm especially keen to learn more about your Sea Princes and Port Toli. And that final line, I mean, come on!

To what email address should I write with possible article ideas for Visions #4?

I've literally written hundreds of pages for my campaign. Many are campaign logs, but I have separate documents for the Seolder nobility, Monmurg, Poniard and other parts of Flotsom Island, Fairwind Island, etc., which detail various NPCs and locales, so I'm sure that I could contribute something "useful" that could supplement what you have in store and/or provide alternate takes on particular places. (For example, I've shared some of my elaborations of the Count of Poniard's family with Mortellan, which is in part derived from his treatment, as published in the OJ and his website, and in part spun whole from and for my campaign.)
    CF Admin

Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:53 pm  

mtg wrote:
    PSmedger wrote:
    NPCs/Critical Threats sounds like an excellent topic for a postfest. I would gladly go along with that and contribute too. [snip]

That will be followed this summer by a Visions Annual Special, a volume that will publish the underdark postfest. It will be dedicated to the late Michael Rapier, aka Leachim the Learned.[snip]

This all sounds fantastic! I'm especially keen to learn more about your Sea Princes and Port Toli. And that final line, I mean, come on!

Indeed, quite the tease Gary!

mtg wrote:
    To what email address should I write with possible article ideas for Visions #4?

I believe there’s a discord server, will ask Gary.

Allan.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:22 am  

grodog wrote:
    I believe there’s a discord server, will ask Gary.

Check your Facebook PMs, Marc!

Allan.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: