ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - ROLL CALL
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Gran March Gazetteer
    ROLL CALL
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:58 am  
    ROLL CALL

Hello All..

The Summer has taken us all away for a while and I would just like to know who is active and interested.

If you would post a reply simply stating that you are still out there, if you are active or when you might become active again, and what you are or will be working on.

Thanks,

Anced.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:07 am  

Private Yabusama reporting for duty Cool

Currently working on Lortenford map, and not a lot else apart from updating web site when required.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:09 am  
    Anced

Hello All, Anced here.

I have been busy for a while, but will have a brief lull for the next few weeks. At least that is what I hope, and what it looks like.

I am currently working on the following articles:

The Laws - Text, Summary, DMs Note and Players Notes
    The History of the March
    The History of Shiboleth
    The Myth of Law-Ran Dreck
    The Economy of the March
    Agriculture in the March
    Architecture in the March
    The Rushmoors
    The Horselords - Centaurs of the March
    The Flora and Fauna of the March
    Barony Hethiye
    House Heth
    and House Balar - a detailed noble House of the March
    and several Side Trek adventures and adventure seeds for the Campaign

I am in dire need of an editor... I can turn out massive amounts of stuff, but I need someone to tell me when I have run on at the keyboard. Volunteers?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:36 am  

AM: “I am in dire need of an editor... I can turn out massive amounts of stuff, but I need someone to tell me when I have run on at the keyboard. Volunteers?”

So that the editor is not little more than a spellchecker, I would suggest it should be someone who is familiar with 3E and if not an expert on the Sheldomar, at least someone who has access to sources relevant to the area and the edition. Also, it should be someone that the text drafting members would not mind having re-write their material for both style and content. I have noticed a fair amount of stylistic differences between authors that should be ironed out and a few grammatical/spelling/typographical errors (very few). Each of the pieces is very good, but so far I get the feeling that they are still pieces and not sections of the larger work. An editor can bring them all together.

I cannot meet those criteria and I cannot do justice to a “massive amount”, but I am looking forward to giving my two bits and the broad and general criticisms you requested of me. I hope that those editor criteria falls in that category.

Here are a few more:

On the Houses and Nobility I would suggest rewriting the Description of the Nehelin into a narrative rather than bullets. Maybe add a picture of a couple of the house members. I would also detail House Aoidthane as their holding has a map. I would not do more than a few lines of Description for all the houses listed because such a project would be too much work. Maybe just a few lines. Two to five “featured” houses, and an explanation as to why they are featured, would fill out the gazetteer nicely.

On the Religion, I think it needs an introduction summarizing the content and providing and overall description of religion in GM and noting differences from at least Keoland and perhaps other states. Firepower has done an excellent job describing how each of the dieties is involved but there needs to be someing for the big picture. I would also put the NPC as a sidebar given that it is a very long piece and they kind of break up the flow. The symbols look very nice, however, I noticed that “Archer” chose 3 arrows while Hextor’s symbol has 6 and there is a description of Phyton’s symbol as a sickle rather than a scimitar. I can think of reasons why both of these would be correct, but they are a little confusing.

For your work in progress regarding “tell me when I have run on at the keyboard”, so that you can put your creativity and time to the best use, I would suggest you come up with some self limiting system first, like list 5 reasons why this gazetteer should have more than half a page on this topic.

This is only kind of related, but Firepower, it looks like you are virtually done with Religion. If you have time, and I know you have been busy, I hope you can contribute more. I also noticed that your writing style appears to be closest to that of Anced. Wink
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:35 pm  

Heh, I'm already on duty, but here goes... Smile

FirePower is set to roll anytime after June 25th.

I want to write an introduction for the Religion section (right there with you, Wolfsire), but I want to tie it in with the other sections as much as possible. I don't want it to appear "plugged in" to the overall work as an afterthought. Therefore, I'm waiting and compiling information.

The context edits (arrows and scythes) I will re-look and submit changes to Yabs.

If you need assistance in any area after June 25th, I should be available. I'm no lawyer, but I have been working in US Army personnel and administration for 17 years, so maybe assisting on The Law or The Military would be the most helpful.

But I'm really available for pretty much anything. I'm going to sketch out the NPCs, but other than that I have no GM projects on my plate.

Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:29 am  

FP: “I want to tie it in with the other sections as much as possible. I don't want it to appear "plugged in"”.

I fully agreed with that. And I think most stylistic editing should happen after there has been a first draft of everything. This is a very big project with a lot of material still to be created and then formed into one piece.

FP: “I have been working in US Army personnel and administration for 17 years, so maybe assisting on The Law or The Military would be the most helpful”.

That makes you more qualified than any lawyer, who is not also a professor of the ancient history of law, could be, especially given the religious impact on government in GM.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:57 am  
    Hello All

HELLO EVERYONE.

A couple of things that we need to tie down.

1) We are begining to tie down form. By that I mean that the overall shape fo the final documents is coming togeather. The Gazatteer is to be issued in three forms.

First, as a PDF, as a single document. This will include all of the artwork, text and graphics.

Second, as a Website. This will be very similar to the current website, but its future is to be determined. It will be dynamically linked to Canonfire, should they allow it, and will also work interactively with Duicarthan's NPC Archive. It is my hope that it can be more than a simple reference, however, and that the text links can take you to the article/person/city description, etc.

At this time we cannot speak for the Hosts of this site or Greyhawk Online as to the location of the website. Should they choose not to host it, my company can do so, we have many extra IP static ip addresses and more than sufficient server space.

Third, the work will be downloadable by chapter in a Word Document. Copyrighted Art will not be available for direct download. I believe Yabusama will make his maps available in a print friendly format, but that is his call. Also available will be other info (such as the Gran March Character Military History Generator, which will allow character to have served their time in the GM Military using a simple D20 background system).

Finally, we have had a request to begin feeding out some work to the OJ, first and foremost a "Current Day, Current Status," report. As we are developing the history from the beginning to current day.

2) We need the real name and address of everyone participating. We will need a general release to post your stuff to this website, to the PDF, and to the final website. Also, it is likely that many will want to repost some of the info, and will need to contact you. Please forward that to Yabusama and myself.

3) I have established a email account that will allow permanent filing of project related material. this is <Gran.March@gmail.com>. Please use this to send Word or Text Files for the project. If you have sent them in the past, please resend them.

4) We need to do a roll call again, and I will be tracking down everyone to see where they are on each of the agreed upon articles.

Thanks all.
    CF Admin

Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:43 pm  

DETHAND REPORTING IN

I have been werkin' with the Samwise and Hoolian on crossing the t's and dotting the i's on the what and who of the open metaplot in the GM adventure under the working title of 'Betrayl in the March'. The stage is set with names like Provost, Keeper of Records, Bandit Lord and Merchants and such, ready to flesh out when we get the ball rolling. Which should be soon.

BTW I got Sundays back off so lets set up an online meeting soon please.
    This means you Yabusama and AM! Wink

Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:38 pm  

Sunday evening is good for me (that is 11pm to midnight) when I get back from my regular group session.

(thats GMT btw)

Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:44 am  
    Sunday Night

I can do sunday nights also. I think that would be 6 to 7 pm, EST.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Gran March Gazetteer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: