JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - What sytems?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    What sytems?
    Novice

Tue May 23, 2006 11:54 am  
    What sytems?

My first post. Just have a question. For those of you that play in Grayhawk, but do not use a version of DnD, what system do you use?
    I will be starting a game up using Kelstia Productions HârnMaster Gold.
    Forum Moderator

Tue May 23, 2006 1:10 pm  

If I didn't use DnD, currently I'd use Warhammer Fantasy RP's system. Very brutal and edgy combat and it has a better take on 'classes' or careers.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 23, 2006 2:40 pm  

Rolemaster, HARP (yea, I know same thing) or Hero System. I always like the critical hits in Rolemaster, and Hero system lets you design character and spells like nothing else I have ever seen.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue May 23, 2006 2:47 pm  

I use Hero Games (Champions) System. I use their genre book "Fantasy Hero". Fantasy Hero is one of the best books in the industry for campaign creation regardless of system. I've never liked the whole "level" system. By the time I get all the crunchy d20 bits that I want my character is no longer playable (20th level). With Fantasy Hero I can buy and build the character I want and have most of the cool defining traits I desire at the onset.

I admit that Hero isn't easy to learn, but, if you can get a group to show you how to play it, it is so rewarding. I don't need 20 books with 50 prestige classes or 100 feats (or be deprived of the huge amount of cash it costs to own them all). I build it, I play it,... now.

I've been playing Fantasy Hero in Greyhawk for 11 years.
    I've been playing in Greyhawk since 1978.
    Neither will be surrendered as long as I GM (not DM). Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 28, 2006 9:49 am  

I use a combination of GURPS for the basic character structure and Ars Magica modified to work with the GURPS system. But I also use the MERP critical tables because I like them so much Happy
    Adept Greytalker

Wed May 31, 2006 4:44 pm  

I currently use D&D 3.5 for my greyhawk game, but if I was not going to use a form of D&D I would use the Runequest system.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:27 am  
    Savage Worlds?

I just bought Savage Worlds, and it looks promising. Simple, but covers a wide range.

Anyone out there try it with FRPGing?

Telas
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:17 pm  

For my GH games I use 2 systems. I'm currently playing in a v3.5 GH game. Over the years, v3.5 roleplaying has really grated on my neveres. I like the system to a point, but its the most prolific FRP system today. HOWEVER, I have found a better in print system in which to run my future GH games, CASTLES & CRUSADES.

C&C is my game of choice now and feels just perfect for GH, IMO.

.........................................Omote
    FPQ

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:33 am  

Omote wrote:
    C&C... feels just perfect for GH, IMO

Agreed! :)

----------------------------------------------------

What is GRiP?!?
    GRiP Community Boards
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:00 am  

Omote wrote:
    For my GH games I use 2 systems. I'm currently playing in a v3.5 GH game. Over the years, v3.5 roleplaying has really grated on my neveres. I like the system to a point, but its the most prolific FRP system today. HOWEVER, I have found a better in print system in which to run my future GH games, CASTLES & CRUSADES.

C&C is my game of choice now and feels just perfect for GH, IMO.

.........................................Omote
    FPQ

I have Castles and Crusades player book (got it at an auction for $2.00). I have not read it extensively, but I saw that the book is OGL so that means it is d20 based. How is it different than 3.5 itself, and how is not grating?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:05 am  

I have not seen the C&C book yet, but I've been more than a little skeptical, having read all the reviews I can on it. The reviews mark the PHB as notoriously full of errors, typo's and misprints. Beyond that, it looked like a quite acceptable - and easy - system to learn. It is d20 based, but only in a very loose sense.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:19 am  

MichaelSandar wrote:
    The reviews mark the (C&C) PHB as notoriously full of errors, typo's and misprints.

...and how does this differ from most RPG books? Laughing

Damn, I just bought True20 and Savage Worlds... now I'll have to find this one.

Telas
    Novice

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:39 am  

The first printing was full of errors, but the second printing fixed that :)

One of the main differences is the "seige engine". This is the mechanic where each class has an ability which is it's prime. This gives basically a "+6" to checks. You also get an extra prime to choose if you are demi-human, and 2 extra if you are human. This essentially replaces the skills in 3.5.

Each class has it's own abilities, like thieves skills, that only it can perform. However,the other class abilities can be attempted if the keeper allows, but the character loses the level modifier or other penalties.

There are no feats or AOO... unless you house-rule them in ;)
    ----------------------------------------------------

What is GRiP?!?
    GRiP Community Boards
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:04 am  

I just got Savage Worlds and am converting the 3E Deities and Demigods over for gigles. If I ever finish, I might have set up a "Savages and Demigods" scenario.

Anyone want to fight Divine Rank 15 Lolth?
    Agility: d12+3
    Smarts: d12+5
    Spirit: d12+5
    Strength: d12+2
    Vigor: d12+2
    Pace: 12
    Parry:12
    Toughness: 41

Melee: d12+8
    Notice: d12+9
    Ranged: d12+8
    Throwing: d12+8
    Persuasion: d12+4
    Stealth: d12+9

and so on...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:55 am  
    If...

If I really had to run Greyhawk without D&D or a D&D-copycat system like C&C, I might try running a Pendragon/Greyhawk campaign...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:13 pm  

I'm currently using Castles & Crusades for Greyhawk and loving it.

Prior to picking up C&C however, I was considering using Talislanta 4th edition and going that route. Coming up with the initial slew of Archtypes would be a pain though.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:50 pm  
    For what it's worth...

I now have the rules to True20, Savage Worlds, and C&C. I have yet to play any yet, but here's my take on it...

C&C is the best "fit" for Greyhawk. It's very close to both AD&D and d20 D&D, so conversions seem to be a snap. It definitely has that "olde school" flavor, and will probably bring back fond memories for those who played GH in OD&D, D&D, or AD&D.

Savage Worlds is quick and (sorry to use the phrase) cinematic. It strikes me as a very fast and loose set of rules, and looks handy for introducing newbies to gaming. My impression (again, untested) is that it would best fit with a heroic/epic style of play, or something like a Spelljammer-type campaign. ("Epic" here means "high adventure", not necessarily "high level".)

True20 is my current favorite, mainly because of the simplicity of the system. It's an easy conversion from d20, and the three classes are true archetypes. It's easy enough to teach someone in one session, the combat makes more sense, and everyone can make the character they truly want, instead of trying to patch together a series of templates to get there.

All of these have huge advantages over d20: they're easier to learn, have less rules, and have less changes to the system as time passes. Some consider this a disadvantage, but I do not. Frankly, I'm tired of either pissing off my players by disallowing the latest classes, or trying to figure out where the Ninja fit into Greyhawk...

Again, I have only read through these, and gone online for reviews, etc. I could be completely wrong here, but it's free advice, aina?

Telas
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:01 pm  

If I didn't use d20, I'd use either the Fantasy HERO system or Ars Magica which has a skill vs. skill system for combat and arguably the best magic system of any game with fixed spells and completely spontaneous spell casting with regard to powers and effects. That being said, wizards are by design really nasty in Ars Magica(wizards tend to be rare, old, and powerful).

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:00 pm  

Hello There,

I've played in Greyhawk through the evolution of D&D (Basic, 1ed, 2ed, 2.5ed, and finally 3.5ed), I've enjoyed them all, but ...

now, i've got my hands around the True20 book, i've not finished reading it, but I think my next game will be by these rules adapted to my GH vision. I've liked what i've seen so far. I wait for True20 Bestiary and True Sorcery, and will see what i can do about these.

Any of you (liking the True20 ruleset) have started some conversions ?

Cédric
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:22 pm  

I currently use Classic (or Basic, if you prefer) D&D to run my campaign, and look favorably on C&C, True20/Blue Rose, Chris "Solomoriah" Gonnerman's Basic Fantasy Roleplaying Game (A highly modified, very slimmed down d20 variant that actually captures the feel of Classic D&D) and Hackmaster as variant D&D systems.

If not using a variant D&D, I'd probably lean toward Runequest 3rd edition (the Avalon Hill version) or Tunnels & Trolls.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:47 am  

Serolf wrote:
    Any of you (liking the True20 ruleset) have started some conversions ?
    Cédric

I haven't done much with it, but we've had some interesting discussions on the abilities driving the Powers. Smile

(For the uninitiated: Powers are the True20 equivalent of spells, and the ability score that drives them is undefined; there is no division between divine, arcane, and psionic power.)

Our solution: Int will determine how many Powers are known, Cha will determine the actual strength of the Power, and Wis will determine if a character is Fatigued after using a Power. (In True20, an analogy can be drawn with melee combat: Dex is a bonus to hit or to dodge being hit, Strength is a bonus to damage or to parry, and Con is a bonus to resist the effects of damage. Three stats for each makes for a more balanced game, IMHO.)

One could interpret the rules in a D&D light, that Wis is the determinant for healing/curative spells, Int for Arcane, and Cha for Psi powers, but Simplicity is Good... Cool

Telas
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: