JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Blackmoor - Then and Now
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Blackmoor - Then and Now
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 25, 2006 12:43 pm  
    Blackmoor - Then and Now

In owning the DA series D&D modules, I some of the the TSR history in the later design of Blackmoor/Mystarra. I also read how it was two different books campaigns moshed together like.

1.What was Blackmoor's placement in the printed folio and later about? Was it anything more than a nod to pre-publishing days?
    2.Did Blackmoor had any impact to GH since its inclusion?
    3.What is Dave Arneson's Blackmoor about now? Does it give a nod or anything more to GH?

I was thinking about buying the new book and eTools data.
    Site Theocrat

Fri May 26, 2006 6:56 am  
    Blackmoor in Dungeon too

Hi all -
    There is a discussion on the WotC / Greyhawk boards that you might be interested in. "Dungeon's 3rd Adventure Path ....." is the title. It seemed to start out as a Mystra/Known World vs GH and the Isle of Death (why was it placed in GH), but then as all GH things tend to do, moved towards Blackmoor. GVD makes a stunning argument about GH's Blackmoor region and it being the nexus for many planes and Prime Material Planes and other stuff that I'd love to see him expand upon.

I think it was Wolfgang Bauer, who wrote at least one, but I thought it was two adventures set in Greyhawk's Blackmoor. Not just a default set in Blackmoor, but I remember reading much of the first one, and it had several interesting aspects for the region, as well as a few villages and towns. I don't remember the issue number, but I thought that he came back to it maybe a year or so later.
    I know someone on the 'net keeps a listing via excel of all the Dungeon issues and the adventure titles of each, so that might help you.

I hope this helps in your search for more answers, or confusion. I only have Dave's Blackmoor campaign setting done by Judges Guild, and it's pretty decent, but it isn't the same as GH's Blackmoor. I wanna say that they aren't really related at all, except in name. I think of it as Moscow, Russia and Moscow, Geogia, USA. Share the same name, but that's about it. Or even Miami, Florida and Miami, Ohio (made famous by Ben Rothlesberger).
    Be Well.
    Theocrat Issak

Sat May 27, 2006 12:25 am  

Dave Arneson's version of Blackmoor aka Blackmoor d20 aka FFC is totally different to the Greyhawk version - not only in geographical terms, it's simply because GH's BM assumes that the Egg of Coot conquered and destroyed Blackmoor town, while in Arneson's campaign, this still hasn't happened.

Another problem of the new d20 line is that it definitely belongs more to the Mystara or to the Judges Guild corner. DMs buying the book as an enhancement to their WoG campaign might get badly disappointed.

The setting is very interesting, and currently my base for most of D&D campaigns, but really, using the DABM stuf for WoG is as useful as using maybe a FR or an Eberron book. Smile

But, really, IMHO, it's still one of the d20 products that most capture the oldschool D&D flair.

Sat May 27, 2006 9:38 pm  

OK, I have heard expression before as an inside joke that I am not in on. What is the Egg of Coot? As a joke and otherwise?
    Adept Greytalker

Sun May 28, 2006 12:45 am  

The Egg of Coot is an evil entity ruling the sinking lands north of Blackmoor. It tries to collect all kind of magic it can find and has its agents (*thralls*) everywhere.

Until today, noone really knows what the Egg really is... (In-game speculation led to the conclusion that the Egg in fact is some kind of illithid god brain, like the one you find on Blutspuer in Ravenloft.)

Sun May 28, 2006 8:25 am  

Here's a relevant webpage detailing the Egg from Håvard's Blackmoor site.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: