JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A little White Plume Mountain trivia
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    A little White Plume Mountain trivia
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:24 am  
    A little White Plume Mountain trivia

It's been more than a decade since I survived to tell the tale of this wizard's dungeon. I recall that there were three magical weapons hidden in the mountain. I believe there was a trident named Wave, a hammer named Whelm, and a sword named Blackrazor.

Can anyone tell me the powers of Whelm, and, if any was provided, its history, physical description, etc.?

I'd like to use it in a story I'm working on, but never bought the module (during my real campaigning days, we all agreed not to buy a module unless the buyer was to be the DM).

Thanks!
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:50 am  

whelm was reprinted in 3e recently in the Arms and Equipment guide...

as for its 1e powers... it was a Lawful Neutral Hammer +3 (=5 for dwarves) int 15, ego 18, purpose to kill all trolls, giants, and goblin-types (inculding bugbears and hobgoblins), 3 times a day it can be thrown and will return (range of 150 feet, only if a dwarf is using it). It can be struck on the ground to create a shockwave which will stun up to 45 hp of enimies with in 60 feet for 1d4 rounds if they fail a save vs. spells. it can also detect gems, gold, and goblins. it has a drawback in that its weilder is inflicted with agoraphobia (fear of open spaces) and will get a -2 to attack rolls when not inside or underground.

Whelms history is not realy noted, other then it's owner lived in the city of greyhawk when it was stolen by Keraptis.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:52 pm  

Return to White Plume Mountain has some info on Whelm. The historical development was done by Erik Mona, Lisa Stevens, and Steve Wilson.

Keraptis was tossed out of Tostenhca and wandered with his gnome followers for three centuries. During the wandering, the gnome conclave from which he drew his followers gave him Whelm.

Fast forward, three hundred years after he departed Tostenhca, he arrived at White Plume Mountain and battled an Elder Age druid who resided below the volcano guarding secrets to Immortality. Keraptis defeated the druid, and took residence in the druids fane to research immortality.

Five hundred years ago, Kerpatis quit the volcano, no one knows why. But he left his artifacts behind.

One hundred years ago, heroes of the Brotherhood of the Tome burrowed into Keraptis' sealed chambers and stole his artifacts (including Whelm), leaving Keraptis trapped in a demi-plane.

While the artifacts were elsewhere, one of Keraptis' followers discovered scrolls of Keraptis' immortality research. (Part of Keraptis' research experimented with saving only his mind and consciousness, which could be moved from body to body via a spell). The follower read the scroll, and installed a copy of Keraptis into himself. Believing himself to be Keraptis, he gathered back the stolen artifacts (including Whelm) once owned by Keraptis. S2 takes place during the reign of the first False Keraptis.

Twenty years after the events in S2, Return to White Plume Mountain takes place.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:06 pm  

Thanks for the replies! This is precisely the info I needed.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: