Signup
Welcome to... Canonfire! World of GreyhawK
Features
Postcards from the Flanaess
Adventures
in Greyhawk
Cities of
Oerth
Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Expedition Series
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Expedition Series
    Author Message
    Journeyman Greytalker

    Joined: Feb 01, 2005
    Posts: 204
    From: Columbus, Ohio

    Send private message
    Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:19 am  
    The Expedition Series

    Over at Paizo I started a thread:

    http://paizo.com/dungeon/messageboards/dnd/general/expeditionToCastleRavenloft

    about the new Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. Ravenloft is known for its isometric castle poster map. This utilitarian map does not make a comeback in the latest book, rather it is spread thru-out the book (no poster at all). This could mean that an expedition to Castle Greyhawk or the Demonweb could be done in the same manner. Flipping pages to show the players maps could get old quick. I prefer a comprehensive view that shows relevant relationships.

    Could this diminish the product? If you say yes, then perhaps someone at WoTC could change this before it is too late. I'd like to see a nice poster map of Castle Greyhawk, and I'd like to spend less time walking the room showing everyone up close a 1/4 or 1/2 page map of a section while shielding the adjacent text. Confused

    Rise up and show your Greyhawk support if you anticipate being dissatified. Greyhawk has sat on the back burner too long, and, now that it might see light of day again, it should be showcased in a manner to attract positive attention. Let WoTC know. Mad
    Grandmaster Greytalker

    Joined: Aug 05, 2004
    Posts: 1446


    Send private message
    Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:26 am  

    Done. Smile
    _________________
    GVD
    Master Greytalker

    Joined: Jun 29, 2001
    Posts: 736
    From: Bronx, NY

    Send private message
    Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:54 am  

    I've made it clear that I dislike the maps and the delve format.

    But why would you do this in a thread at Paizo? They aren't the ones who published Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, or who will be publishing a theoretical Expedition to Castle Greyhawk. Try one of the WotC threads instead.
    Apprentice Greytalker

    Joined: Jun 21, 2003
    Posts: 39
    From: Hardby

    Send private message
    Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:48 am  

    While I agree that poster maps would be preferable, especially considering the scale of Castle Greyhawk compared to Castle Ravenloft, the current format wouldn't stop me from buying the product.

    I don't show players the maps at all anyway, that's what DM description is for, but if you want to, or if you want all the maps separate for organization or marking up with notes, just photocopy the pages, or check WotC's site, they usually release a map gallery for most of the products shortly after publication.
    _________________
    All shall love me and despair!
    Apprentice Greytalker

    Joined: Jan 05, 2003
    Posts: 138
    From: Midwood in Geoff

    Send private message
    Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:53 am  
    Re: The Expedition Series

    Skech wrote:
    Over at Paizo I started a thread:

    http://paizo.com/dungeon/messageboards/dnd/general/expeditionToCastleRavenloft

    about the new Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. Ravenloft is known for its isometric castle poster map. This utilitarian map does not make a comeback in the latest book, rather it is spread thru-out the book (no poster at all). This could mean that an expedition to Castle Greyhawk or the Demonweb could be done in the same manner. Flipping pages to show the players maps could get old quick. I prefer a comprehensive view that shows relevant relationships.

    Could this diminish the product? If you say yes, then perhaps someone at WoTC could change this before it is too late. I'd like to see a nice poster map of Castle Greyhawk, and I'd like to spend less time walking the room showing everyone up close a 1/4 or 1/2 page map of a section while shielding the adjacent text. Confused

    Rise up and show your Greyhawk support if you anticipate being dissatified. Greyhawk has sat on the back burner too long, and, now that it might see light of day again, it should be showcased in a manner to attract positive attention. Let WoTC know. Mad


    Do we know for sure that an Expedition to Castle Greyhawk is in the works? I have heard many, many rumors, but nothing concrete as of yet...
    _________________
    Michael Erin Sandar Bard of Midwood
    GreySage

    Joined: Aug 03, 2001
    Posts: 3312
    From: Michigan

    Send private message
    Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:39 pm  
    Re: The Expedition Series

    MichaelSandar wrote:
    Do we know for sure that an Expedition to Castle Greyhawk is in the works? I have heard many, many rumors, but nothing concrete as of yet...


    Here's something concrete.
    Adept Greytalker

    Joined: Aug 28, 2004
    Posts: 348


    Send private message
    Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:40 am  

    I am not sure what to think of it, yet. Still, I am happy the name *Greyhawk* is mentioned again. Now, ahould WotC dare to set this IN THE REALMS, I'll start the mother of all flame wars... Wink
    _________________
    "A Minstrel's Memory": PBPs & Other Games, since 2005.
    Forum Moderator

    Joined: Feb 26, 2004
    Posts: 2592
    From: Ullinois

    Send private message
    Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:15 am  

    Let the speculationnnn begin!
    Apprentice Greytalker

    Joined: Jan 05, 2003
    Posts: 138
    From: Midwood in Geoff

    Send private message
    Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:19 am  

    Happy Happy Happy

    Ohhhh we see you now Mona!

    Seeing that, I am happier than I have a right to be while at work!
    _________________
    Michael Erin Sandar Bard of Midwood
    Master Greytalker

    Joined: Jul 13, 2002
    Posts: 1077
    From: Orlane, Gran March

    Send private message
    Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:44 am  

    Ok, wheather you like Mona or not (and I have liked his work to date) what do we know of James Jacobs and James Bulmahn? Are they GH fans? Is Mona going to loose out in keeping a GH flavor or flair? I dont know either and have no idea what the product will ulitmately look like. I hope it is up to the quality of the works in Dungeon for the last few years.
    Adept Greytalker

    Joined: Aug 28, 2004
    Posts: 348


    Send private message
    Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:31 am  

    Here's some collected info from ENWorld:

    Quote:

    Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk
    D&D Adventure
    Jason Bulmahn, James Jacobs, Erik Mona

    A Dungeons & Dragons super-adventure for characters of levels 8–13

    Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk is a 224-page D&D super-adventure that revisits Castle Greyhawk and the classic dungeon beneath. This adventure is usable as a mini-campaign on its own, a story arc in a Dungeon Master’s regular campaign, or as a series of small side adventures with a big payoff. Like other adventures in the “Expedition” series, this product takes a classic Dungeons & Dragons location, updates it for D&D v.3.5, and incorporates many new twists and surprises. This adventure also includes useful source material for the players and a combat encounter format designed to make the DM’s job easier.



    Item Code 109257200
    Release Date August 2007
    Format Hardcover
    Page Count 224
    ISBN 978-0-7869-4358-6
    Price $34.95; C$46.95




    Quote:
    (By Erik Mona) The extremely generic product description leaves me little room to discuss details without violating my NDA, but I think I can safely confirm that a significant section of the adventure takes place in the City of Greyhawk. Provided you are willing to 'port the Free City into your campaign, you could pretty easily run it in any campaign setting, but come on. It is written to be used in Greyhawk or as a stand-alone, primarily. I certainly didn't spend a lot of time thinking about how to plug it into Eberron or wherever.

    And while there are some humorous elements to go along with Zagig's madness, it is not a joke module, and we did not bother to consult the joke version of Castle Greyhawk when researching the book.

    We did include several elements from "Greyhawk Ruins," but that is a deeply imperfect adventure, and we certainly didn't follow it slavishly.

    --Erik




    Quote:
    (By James Jacobs) Finally! I no longer have to worry about accidentally mentioning something and letting the cat out of the bag on this thing... whew! As Erik and Jason said/inferred, the NDA is still more or less in effect. We can't say much more about it, but I can say that it was a project near to all of our hearts. There's a lot that fans of Greyhawk will find familiar in this one, and a fair amount that's new. And now I better stop writing before I say too much...



    Here's the link to the actual thread:

    http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=178244&page=5&pp=40
    _________________
    "A Minstrel's Memory": PBPs & Other Games, since 2005.
    Master Greytalker

    Joined: Aug 11, 2001
    Posts: 635


    Send private message
    Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:46 am  

    Anced_Math wrote:
    Ok, wheather you like Mona or not (and I have liked his work to date) what do we know of James Jacobs and James Bulmahn? Are they GH fans?


    JASON Bulmahn is an ex-LGH Circle dude (formerly in charge of the Iuz Borderlands Metaregion), now like Mona and Jacobs at Paizo.

    My feeling is that it'll be as Greyhawk as it can be within the brief the authors got from WotC.

    P.
    GreySage

    Joined: Aug 03, 2001
    Posts: 3312
    From: Michigan

    Send private message
    Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:41 am  

    What do you all think the "big payoff" will be?

    - Freeing Zuoken
    - Destroying the Earth Stone and, with it, the Oerth
    - Becoming a god like Zagyg
    - Getting to use guns like Murlynd
    - Becoming monarch of Dungeonland
    - Winning a "Master D&D Player" card signed by Gary Gygax
    - Eternal slavery to Fraz-Urb'luu
    Apprentice Greytalker

    Joined: Nov 16, 2006
    Posts: 23


    Send private message
    Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:33 am  

    rasgon wrote:
    What do you all think the "big payoff" will be?

    - Freeing Zuoken
    - Destroying the Earth Stone and, with it, the Oerth
    - Becoming a god like Zagyg
    - Getting to use guns like Murlynd
    - Becoming monarch of Dungeonland
    - Winning a "Master D&D Player" card signed by Gary Gygax
    - Eternal slavery to Fraz-Urb'luu

    $34.95 to WotC
    Master Greytalker

    Joined: Aug 11, 2001
    Posts: 635


    Send private message
    Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:37 am  

    Arnok wrote:
    rasgon wrote:
    What do you all think the "big payoff" will be?

    - Freeing Zuoken
    - Destroying the Earth Stone and, with it, the Oerth
    - Becoming a god like Zagyg
    - Getting to use guns like Murlynd
    - Becoming monarch of Dungeonland
    - Winning a "Master D&D Player" card signed by Gary Gygax
    - Eternal slavery to Fraz-Urb'luu


    $34.95 to WotC


    Such cynicism. (I like it!) Laughing
    Adept Greytalker

    Joined: Aug 28, 2004
    Posts: 348


    Send private message
    Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:06 am  

    *Sobs* After all these years... Finally, a new Greyhawk book in print... Smile
    _________________
    "A Minstrel's Memory": PBPs & Other Games, since 2005.
    Display posts from previous:   
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

    Jump to:  

    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum




    Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

    Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!


    Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

    PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.42 Seconds