Sun May 06, 2007 8:12 am  

Anna, will you marry me? Cool

Sun May 06, 2007 8:14 pm  

Indeed. Any updates on the mapping project? As always, great maps. Cool

..............................................Omote
    FPQ

Sun May 13, 2007 8:47 am  

Hi fellow hawkers!

Before I’ll say anything about maps I have to get over my blushing abbysslin… Embarassed

Here is a first shot from area 74 eastern Onnwal, Irongate and Relmor bay area (most of it). There are most places and text missing and it has to be grinded through your expert scrutiny a few times more but I think it will be as good as the others so far. Smile

Apart from real life there have been some technical issues to distract me from mapping. I’ve hit the RAM limits again (time to move to 64 bit OS it seems) and had to split the files. Tried to migrate my work to Bryce 6 but it was too hard to get my old files converted properly so I’m going to continue the main maps in v5.5 and do cities and other newer projects in Bryce 6.

If you have any geographical detail of Ahlissa and the other parts of this area I would be very grateful, the heraldry for the Kingdom of Iron Hills for example.

A full size map of area 74 will be up in a few days.

Anna
    Forum Moderator

Sun May 13, 2007 7:56 pm  

Absolutely stunning. The new map is good too :D
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun May 13, 2007 10:50 pm  

Ded sexeh ah tell yew!!!

Fri May 18, 2007 4:04 pm  

Great maps Anna!

Saludos,
    Gabriel

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:05 pm  

When are we gonna see the next map?

Cheers.

S.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:56 am  

Here it is!

It’s far from finished but in great need for your expert input. I have dared to take me some liberties which I’m very interested to see how well they are liked by all the hard core hawkers on this forum.

There are a lot of details missing some which I haven’t had time to place yet but a lot I know have to be there but is still unknown which is especially true for Ahlissa. Not the Naerie part where I have excellent help from Simpi.

As usual you can find the jpg and pdf version of this map at:
    https://lagring.storegate.se/user/Files/Browse.aspx?PartnerID=65&Share=ecbd5bc7-8fc3-4d6b-95bf-20160881cd3f&Folder=753149

//Anna
    Master Greytalker

Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:45 pm  

Great work anna, as always Wink
    Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:34 am  

Good job Anna. I like the choice you went with for the Iron Hills shield.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:51 am  

Anna, map #72 would you consider that a finished product? I noticed that there were no borders on that file, detailing the map number with location matrix and scale?

Derrick

..............................................Omote
    FPQ

Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:21 am  

Anna,

I'm a long time devotee of Irongate and the Iron Hills. I really appreciate you creating these maps! What great service you have provided to a whole lot of people.

My sincere thanks.

And wow - the quality.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:53 am  

No Omote I think of my maps as works in progress.

My work are my humble try to reflect the Flaness I read about, play in and think of. So as the diskussion here at CF progress and as inspiration and corrections come I have to update them. But thanks you for telling me that the uploaded versions of area 72 are missing borders, corrected files are up now.

I have updated area 73 to fit with area 74:

Thank you Phalastar Happy There will be an update to 74 next.

Anna
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:47 pm  

Absolutely gorgeous!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:51 am  

An updated version of area 74 is up.

Added locations in Ahlissa and Nyrond, and as usual the files can be found at this location:

https://lagring.storegate.se/user/Files/Browse.aspx?PartnerID=65&Share=ecbd5bc7-8fc3-4d6b-95bf-20160881cd3f&Folder=753149

Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:01 am  

Anna,

The link you posted is working for me. I'll try later but I thought I would mention it.
    Site Theocrat

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:34 pm  
    Map Section 59

Hi all -
    Anna....owning GreyhawkOnline.com is sometimes a chore, but Mortellan's work is worth it. Downloading your maps makes me feel like I should be paying.
    As previously posted, I've also used EA's maps, in fact I enlarged the Dyvers/Greyhawk section and cropped it to fit a poster map and printed it and am using that for my current campaign. I might have to pass that out as a "reward"/ map the players find.
    Being that I'm the Theocrat, I'm obviously waiting for your Pale maps, but my current campaign takes place in Dyvers.
    One of my questions with EA's maps, and with yours: where, oh where, do you find the little rivers? What are you using as a reference? Discussions with the resident Geologist? Just make them up as you go along?
    Since I'm running Dyvers, I have a couple requests and concerns (=:->). Robilar's Keep - there is the little river that goes right by it. How'd you know there was a river there? Next, and I was able to turn off the heraldry layers, but you put his shield right where the Village of Dhalhassa and just above that (on the rocky hills) is the Keep of Dhalhassa. Of course, I'd also like to mention that Dyvers has conqurered much of the area and feel that you should modify your maps to fit my particular campaign (more =;-> ).
    Barring any of that...I'll just do my best to wait it out until the Pale is properly established.
    Again, thank you for the work and effort that you've placed into Greyhawk and as a supporter of CF/GHO I appreciate everything that you are doing.
    Be Well. Be Weller when the Theocracy of the Pale is mapped out - so that we know where those HEATHEN's (samwise) are hiding.
    Theocrat Issak

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:29 am  

Hi everyone
    First a progress report. Right now I’m working on the Rift Crag area and eastern Nyr Dyv as you can see on this picture:

It’s a rough unedited rendering but hopefully give you a good sneak peek into my current work.

Well TheocratIssak you are asking me of my secret sources Embarassed

To be honest first I did what you and all other good explorers would do I checked the best maps and info available. EA’s maps where the best available to me (if there are better one now I’m not to judge Wink Then again I did what you suggested I had a chat with the resident Geologist (using Skype because I couldn’t teleport to Canada). Then with the help of Fharlanghn I try to make a creative assumption on the location of rivers and other features.

I hope this answers your question.
    Anna
    Site Theocrat

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:05 pm  
    Pure Beauty

Hi all -
    That Rift Crag is Playboy Bunny Centerfold Material!
    Be Well. Be Well Centered
    Theocrat Issak

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:28 am  

Nice work. Would it be possible to get some sort of tutorial on your work process? I love some of those mountain forms, especially the shield volcano to the southwest of what I think is the Nyr Dyv.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:40 pm  

Hi everyone

Time for me to present Flanaess Atlas part 47!

It’s a first version so I’m sure there some things to add and correct, so please scrutinize it and tell me.
    A full size JPG version can be dowloaded from: https://lagring.storegate.se/user/share.aspx?id=ecbd5bc7-8fc3-4d6b-95bf-20160881cd3f

Thank you for your interest su_liam. There will be a tutorial about how I make my maps at first I will post it at http://www.cartographersguild.com since it is a site devoted to mapmaking, and especially fantasy mapmaking. Take a look and I’m sure all mapmakers will find it interesting.

Anna
    Master Greytalker

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:37 pm  

Anna:
    I checked out your link but wasn't able to find any maps. I did find it on your old link though from a previous post on this thread.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:56 pm  

The link is correct but in order to get to the files you have to click on the button “Visa/Show” as in the picture below:

I hope this helps. Sorry for not having any real webserver yet. But I need so much space that it would cost a bit and right now I’ve been too lazy to construct a website. This way I can make all my maps available for download.

Anna
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:48 am  

Very nice! Hope you are all settled into your new place and that the demolition/contruction is all but finished.

Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:55 pm  

Thanks Ceb Happy

Yes I'm settled at my new place so their is more time for mapmaking and playing again.

Anna
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:59 pm  

Hi everyone Smile

Here is the initial version of part 46.

As usual you can download a high resolution from my webstorage:

//Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 am  

YESSS! A furyondy map... It's beautifull!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:03 am  

If we can make requests, Id love to see one of the Falls valley and Bramblewood gap area around Thornward. But that's mostly because I'm a lazy bastard and don't want to have to make one of my own. Although even if I did it would not look anywhere near as good.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:05 am  

Nice work as usual Anna! I'm going to have to take all of these separate map bits and Photoshop them together at some point so I can scroll across one giant map image at my leisure. Cool

Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:27 am  

I hope all of you have had some great time with festivities and such!

Time has come for me to sum up my mapmaking efforts of 2007 and tell a bit about what I have planned for 2008.

I looked at my oldest files and found that they date from 1998 so this is the 10th year for my Atlas of the Flanaess project. Up until now it has been a struggle to acquire skills, work around limitations and keep going without no hope of ever be able to accomplish what I set out to do. 2007 were the year that changed that.

For the first time I felt that I had the skills to actually work effectively and Moore’s law had provided me with enough computing power. Here is an overview of my progress so far and keep in mind that almost half of the area mapped I made during 2007.

So from this perspective it looks to be a promising 2008, my aim now it to finish the whole Flanaess within two years. Shame on me if I’m not able to map the Flanaess in 12 years since Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings in the same amount of time.

So I’ll map along and chart the western half of Furyondy, Veluna and Highfolk for a start. Then I’m aiming south along the Lortmils, Nyrond and the Pale are in my sights for this year too. I think you have to wait a month or two vonbek, then I will have a preview of Bramblewood gap for you.

It is time to start work on presenting the whole Flanaess along with my area maps. Yes Cebrion there will be a large map to leisurely scroll across Smile

A project website is something I have thought about for a long time (and in the beginning there actually was one) to be able to present my work better and to make it easier to find and download things.

Then I will print out all my maps and put them between the covers of a large leather-bound tome. I have found a bookbinder able to do that. This way I will have my very own Atlas of the Flanaess Happy Hopefully I can make that service available to you as well, we will see if that is possible due to copyright issues when the time comes.

What will come after my Atlas project? Well technology has finally started to make a glimpse that ultimate dream of seeing what our beloved world look like. I have named my next project Vistas of the Flanaess and here is a first test:

To see what I’m trying to accomplish check the links below:
    http://www.world-machine.com/wm2/upgradetour.html
    http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_6_infinite/

These are the tools I’ll be trying to master for my next project. My goal is to try capturing famous places of Greyhawk photo-realistic. So perhaps there will be another book around 2020 filled with the Vistas of the Flanaess.

Anna
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:45 am  

Incredible Anna! You are very talented. If the copyright issues all work out and able to make your maps available for purchase one day, I'll put my order in right away. I'm glad to see that an overview of your efforts have paid off. It is always great to see a large project come to fruitation in the long run. Now if we can just find a way to print your maps together for a huge wall hanging as well.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:32 am  

Thank you Eileen Happy

There is someone who can print my maps, check out http://www.gamer-printshop.com. I will send him high resolution files so he can print copies for those who want them.

Now I "only" have to make that big map!

Anna
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:59 am  

Wow! I book-marked that link immediately.

$36.00 for a 36" x 48" full color, heavy duty laminated map of your choice sound not so bad to me. A 72" x 96" WOG map sounds rather nice to me! Cool

We just need Anna to finish her maps, so I guess we should all make offerings to Telchur for snow to be dumped on the northern lands so that she is unable to leave her computer! Shocked

"Oh great Telchur, we beseech thee in the name of greed in wanting fine full-color laminated WOG maps for our games. Grant us this great boon oh Lord of Ice and Snow."

Heehee! Happy

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:02 am  

It's working Ceb, it's stared to snow Laughing

I didn't know you had such good connections with the gods Cool

Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:50 am  

Anna wrote:
    It's working Ceb, it's stared to snow Laughing

I didn't know you had such good connections with the gods Cool

Anna

Anna, being such a huge fan of your maps, I hadsome of the completed ones printed out at 24" X 36", and they look fantastic! It's great to hear that you plan on contining the project and Vista's looks superb.

Keep up the great work!

-O

Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:05 pm  

Anna,

Thank you for your wonderful maps. I just wanted to say congratulations on your Featured Map selection on the Cartographers Guild website:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/

The review is here:
    http://forum.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=12179#post12179

In Service,

Bryan Blumklotz
    AKA Saracenus
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:15 pm  

Omote that sounds great, I don’t have a printout that big myself yet Wink

I have replaced and upgraded my all my computers and now finally it’s all assembled and installed and running again, faster than ever!

Thank you Brian :)

I must thank you for your great on the heraldry of Greyhawk.

Map revisions will be up in the not too distant future.

//Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:29 am  

Anna, now that I'm registered, I wanted to thank you for your wonderful work. You're enhancing Greyhawk in a fantastic way!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:57 am  

Thanks a million zachary Happy

//Anna
    Novice

Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:11 am  

I just joined this forum becuase I am running a PbP Greyhawk Campaign. I have to say I am in awe of these maps. They are some of the most gorgeous I have ever seen.

Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:23 pm  

I am flabbergasted by the maps!!

I have a question though, how do I download the maps? I can see the jpegs, but there seems to be no right click option to save trhem. I can't get the PDFs to load.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:29 pm  

This is truly a work of art! I have been playing or DMing Greyhawk on and off for twenty-five years and I never imagined maps of such professional detail. Good luck on the rest of this.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:01 pm  

Hi

Thanks a lot for your interest and support :)

Jose you can download all my maps from this location:

Click on the blue icon to the left of the filenames to initiate a download, hopefully this will work. If not send me a PM with your e-mail addy and I’ll send you the files.

Here is a screenshot of one of the 2 projects I’m currently working on.

Terrain construction of the mighty Vesve and the Clatspurs are getting the final touches. I’m moving my focus south to make the terrain for western Furyondy and Veluna. When I’m done with this I have all the Central Flanaess done, and I will make a postersize map of it all ready for print, more on this later.

The second project is coming along nicely, and will hopefully blow your socks off Wink The first preview will be presented in April and ready for posterprint in May if all goes well.

My ambition is that we Greyhawk fans shall have our beloved world presented in the best possible ways to enhance it and our gaming sessions in it.

//Anna
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:28 am  

You are soooo cooool Exclamation

Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:00 am  

I wanted to say simply, just in case anyone had missed it, ANNA ROCKS!!! Not only does she make the best maps, but she is also super-nice and helping. There, I said it, thanks Anna, let's keep the thread going, nothing to see here, move along...

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:54 pm  

The recent tragic loss of the man who made my role-playing and therefore mapmaking a reality is deeply missed and I will forever grief the fact that I never met him or got to know him. But it’s the fact that I owe my mapmaking ability to him and his creation we all cherish.

Thank you Jose Smile

For those of you who like to have my maps printed in full glory can go to:
    http://www.gamer-printshop.com/

I have uploaded files to Michael that are 600dpi non-compressed so they will look as good as possible. I will try and do that with all my future maps (and other projects) too in the future, in order to offer you all a chance to have large prints of my maps.

//Anna
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:37 pm  

Awesome maps Anna.

And the vistas project sounds very interesting. I think I´ve come across at least two sites on the web doing similar things.

The Iron Gate project has a few great pictures of the landscape: http://melkot.com/locations/irongate/ig-geology.html

The other site i can´t find at the moment but i dimly recall it had pictures of the landscapes of the flanaess, maybe furyondy though I´m not sure.

Also are you aware of Daniel Rivera´s work on the Temple of Elemental Evil?

http://www.danielrivera.org/maps.htm

Not only did he make great maps for the TOEE he also made a SketchUp model from Google's 3D Warehouse:

http://www.danielrivera.org/toee_grounds.htm
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:42 am  

Thank you Thanael Smile

Great to see you point out Denis Tetreault’s Irongate project, he is a great help for me in my map making!

I came across Daniel Rivieras site a while ago and he has done a remarkable job modeling ToEE and the moathouse.

Now I want to take some time to discuss the future of “my” project, where to go and what to do with it when I’m finished with part 1 – the basic map of the Flanaess.

My current map will hopefully be ready within 2 years. A lot of work remains to finish it, but the technique has matured and it’s simply a matter of research and grunt work to get it done.

Here is a list of my thoughts for the future:

 Present the project and its maps as a part of Canonfire or as a separate website.

 Recruit research help so I can concentrate on the actual mapmaking to speed things up and increase accuracy.

When the basic map first edition is ready my ideas for future work is:

 Special maps featuring things like: historical, resources, migrations, alignment, trade etc.

A flaness DEM project – this is a cool thing. Now the tools exists to actually map the whole Flanaess in detail as a basis for photorealistic local, regional and even planetary maps. Take a look at this site to see what I mean: www.me-dem.org

 Present famous and special places of the Flanaess in full glory on the web and on posters to hang on the wall.

With the right tools, lots of work and input from all you experts I see all these ideas as possible to realize in say 5-6 years.
    I’m planning to set up a donation plan to try and gather some resources for hardware and software investments. Every penny gathered will be spent on hardware and software and other cost for the project, in return I will make all my Flanaess work available on the web for free.

Please tell me what you think of this and if you want to help out with research or mapping or anything else.

//Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:26 am  

Hi Anna,

Regarding the research thing, I note that you do not include some sources that I, for instance consider as "canon". The Gord novels are a good example of that, as they include a lot of things not on later editions, many of which would not collide with established TSR/WotC products. For instance, your Gnarley Forest map does not include the Inn of Hop the Savant, thef One and Score Brothers Inn, nor the villages of Gawkes Mere and so on. Strandkeep Castle, in the Pomarj is not included etc...

So... first you need to tell us what your definitions are: what do you want to include? What published products are permissible? Can we make suggestions for already existing maps?

Other than that, count me in for research, since I own virtually all pre-3rd edition Greyhawk material and know it quite well.

I think a separate site is a good idea, but you're the final judge of what you want. I am pretty sure Canonfire will always be willing to point to it.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:12 pm  

Hi Anna,

First of all, congratulations for your awesome work and dedication to give us a vision of GreyHawk.

Will you also map the Sea of Dust and the Dry Steppes area ? There are interesting ruins and secret locations in the former Suloise and Baklunish empires which should benefit from your work.
    The same for the Crystalmists and Yatil Mountains.

Again, Bravo ! for this incredible project

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:45 am  

Anna, I, too, am awed by your magnificent work, but I'm going to throw a thought out there for you. One feature that would make your maps more immediately useful to me in my own game is a hex grid layer (particularly one corresponding to the Darlene map). Is that something you've considered?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:10 am  

Thank you all for your interest, over 9000 views!

Now I have uploaded revised versions pdfs with corrected colors that should look better and jpg versions as well. There are some new tidbits, corrected symbols, added settlements, and a new heraldic symbol added. Which one? Well look at area 59 at Hommlet and you will see my interpretation of a text that no one seem to have noticed before, the description for the Hommlet town hall: “On the back wall hangs the tapestry showing a green field with two acorns above a sheaf of grain. This is the banner of Hommlet.”

Finally remebered to update the legend:

If my design is needs correcting I’m open to all suggestions and input to make it better. That goes for all my maps, the more criticism I receive the better they can become so I want your input on every detail.

I try to use as much Greyhawk material as possible for my maps, to make them as usable as possible, canon, LG, and even some of my own creations. Strandkeep castle is there, a bit to the west of the Pomarj hills but it’s there. I can’t remember the sources for my placement but there must have been a reason for me to have placed it there in the first place.

Jose – I would be very grateful if you could point out to me where to put the other places and how to classify them.

Galencudin - Sea of Dust and the Dry Steppes are in my plans but since they are some of the most remote places in the Flanaess it will not be until next year. The reasons you point out are very true, they deserve a special histortic treatment too. Places further to the west are beyond my scope for now; they need much more material created before I have enough detail to go on. Crystalmists and the Yatils are probably not ready this year either, but you never know I might not get a job over the summer which might give me more time to map.

Hex grid layer.

In the beginning of my mapmaking I used hex paper to draw my maps on, so when I shifted to digital tools I kept the hexes initially. Soon I felt them too non fantasy – not something you should find in an old map so stopped using hexes, or even squares. Fantasy maps look better without was my thinking.

But you are right, a grid can be very useful, that’s why maps so often have them. I have made some trials with a grid layer and it could be added as a layer in the pdf file so it would be optional to show it. To match the hexes on the Darlene maps precisely is almost impossible since my maps aren’t that accurate in all measurements, or as I tend to see it – the other way around Wink . I will make a test and publish it and you can say if you want the option or not.

Thanks again for all your support.

Anna
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:23 pm  

Hi

Here is a preview of area 45:

There are some symbols to place but soon an initial version will be ready.

//Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:00 am  

Marvelous as always Anna. But... a forest links Vesve with Veluna? Question
    And Defiles Glades seem to be in a noncorrect placement.

But it's a preview Wink
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:36 am  

just amazing. After Furyondy this was the next I needed! It looks beautiful!

It would be great to flesh out the Vesve a bit more with names of locations like on this site: http://highfolk.info/gaz_vesve.php
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:44 am  

Thanks alot for your input Happy

Here is an updated view of the defiled glades and lands between Vesve and Veluna.

I have moved the Defiled Glades a bit south and decreased the amount of forest in the borderland.

That list has been on my to do list for this part, and some other tidbits my research have uncovered, but it is great of you to point it out Sander_Kaa

//Anna
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:31 pm  

Here is the first version of area 45.

I hope you like it and please scrutinize it so I can correct my mistakes and omissions.

//Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:05 am  

Looks very great. I would love to download the full image to see the details. I will use this map for my upcoming Furyondy campaign which starts in Crockport.

One question: What CY is it you use for mapping out greyhawk?
    Master Greytalker

Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:18 am  

Coooool. I can't really see all the locations clearly and most of my Furyondy information comes from the Marklands. I haven't started on the Vesve/Highfolk yet.

Only obvious thing I can't see is Lake Erstin, a small lake north of Chendl that feeds the city's canals and acts as the source of the Crystal River.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:06 pm  

Go here for the bigguns:

Absolutely HUGE tracts of land I tell you! Laughing

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:01 am  

Thanks that's better! When you see how few 'official' settlements there are in Furyondy compared to its size you understand why its 1e population was so low!

Ok well off the top off my head, you could add the gnomish village of Mobblofft (my spelling might be dodgy btw) next to Claw Gorge, since technically the mine and village are separate, although Mobblofft is colloquially known as Claw Gorge in any event, so it isn't necessary.

There should be a number of keeps along the Bone Road, including Salamandra, although I can't recall if Salamandra is in Kalinstren or Crystalreach - on the border I think. It is entirely possible that some of these keeps were destroyed in the Great Northern Crusade but even so, marking the ruins would be groovy. Also the Bone Road leads between Grabford and Crockport as it was built by Iuz during the occupation. Redoubt should be on the Flare Line, which continues to Castle Ehlenestra.

Finally the remains of Gull Keep lie near the County of Crystalreach logo, on the coast, roughly north of Salamandra. Gull keep was definitely destroyed as part of the LG campaign.

Lake Erstin comes from LG as well I think. It s described as being north of Chendl, fed by underground channels from Whyestil Lake, and as the source of the Crystal River as well as Chendl's canals.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:09 pm  

First thank you for pitching in and helping me with the link to my web storage Ceb Smile

I have tried to make my maps versatile with both as much canon details as possible, then I have added a layer with LG stuff (you can hide this layer and any other in the pdf version), so with everything visible they would be around CY596.

Paul you are a perfect researcher as always! Happy

Agree totally with your view on Furyondy and population. It needs every settlement we can conjure so I’ll put in Mobblofft and the keeps along the Bone Road.

Opps I forgot Salamandra had it on map 46 but moved it west and forgot to place it on map 45, good of you to see that. I’ll place it on the border so can each DM decide who actually controls it.

I’ll clear up my confusion of the Flare line and bone road so they are shown correctly.

Gull keep I have placed on the tip of the peninsula sticking out into the Whyestil and its on map 45.

The southern tip of the Whyestil are a bit too wide, I will try and match the canon maps better.

Lots of small lakes have popped up here and there in my creation phase, but lake Erstin I missed, correction is coming. That also means that I will have to change the rivers in the area.

Great help, very much appreciated.

An updated version will be up shortly.

I’m also working on a website ghmaps.net where I can better present my maps and offer easier download. This thread I will keep up as usual.

//Anna
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:52 pm  

Shocked Anna, I am in awe.

Many years ago I tried making a more detailed Greyhawk map of my own (hardcopy, not computer), so I have a vague idea just how much work what you're doin takes. Lord knows, my efforts didn't come out anywhere near as good as yours. Confused

Keep up the AWESOME work!
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:05 am  

I think we should start a poll to see if Anna should be elevated to the status of quasi-deity.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:13 am  

Embarassed Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:45 pm  

Quasi-deity? Have you seen the maps, man?! I throw my vote in for a full fledged deity of the highest order!

Anna, at this point have you made or plan on making any changes to map #45?

The reason I ask is that I am itching (quite badly) to print out another one of your maps to poster size and add to what you have already created.

Thank you for your time.

-O

Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:43 pm  

Thank you all it is greatly appreciated :-)

Hang in there Omote , an updated area 45 will be available this weekend.
    //Anna
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:45 am  

Omote wrote:
    Quasi-deity? Have you seen the maps, man?! I throw my vote in for a full fledged deity of the highest order!

-O

Foolish Omote! One must first becme a quasi deity, then a hero-god, then a demi-god, then a lesser deity, then intermediate, then greater.

Short of sacrificing all her worshippers on Canonfire I think Anna may have to go the slow route. I'm not ready to become a vestige just yet...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:09 am  

Well hopefully this update will bring me a bit closer to epic level in any case Smile

New versions of area 45 and 46 are available from my web storage:

//Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:31 pm  

Anna, This absolutely beautiful work Happy ! Don't ever stop till it's done. I didn't read all the posts here, so if somebody already offered I will understand. I have a friend in the mapp making business (cartography), he might be able to print this in exceptional quality for you.

I wouldn't mind seeing Robilar's crest somewhere on map 60 Wink .
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:39 pm  

Thanks Skjorn Smile

I will do my best to see this project through!

If you’re referring to Game-Printer then he already has top quality pdf’s to print from. I was going to announce his services here soon.

Edit: Robilars shield is presented at his ruined castle on map 59 nw of Greyhawk City.

//Anna
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:56 am  

Oooh - looking good! At a glance, I think the Sentinel ports on the Nyr Dyv might be missing? I expect at least some of them are probably off the map though.

Also Castle Hart, which is technically in Crystalreach should be on an island in the river effectively just north of Barduk. There is also some debate a small port village next to Barduk - Port Valour I think - which appeared in a mod and was then left off a subsequent map when Barduk was introduced. It may be thet they are one and the same - input from Furyondian experts welcome.

I will dig out my notes when I get home tonight!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:34 am  

PaulN6 wrote:
    Omote wrote:

-O

Foolish Omote! One must first becme a quasi deity, then a hero-god, then a demi-god, then a lesser deity, then intermediate, then greater.

Short of sacrificing all her worshippers on Canonfire I think Anna may have to go the slow route. I'm not ready to become a vestige just yet...

Bah! Throw me on the killing stone. I am ready for cartography glory!

-O

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:38 am  

Ok - well my notes on Furyondy aren't great but you could add the following:

Rockegg Isle next to Crockport.

The Razing Line north Of Castle Ehlenestra - about level with Crockport.

The Cragson Mines - orc-infested route to the Underdark southwest of Terlisean and west of the road to Gorsend (the orcs have attacked Barduk in the past)

A number of unamed keeps along the Bone Road - there were 20 originally but many of these were burned during the Great northern crusade. Some still exist but details sketchy on how many - any help from LG players in Furyondy appreciated.

Cerenellyl’s Towers On Furyondy’s northern border (Littleberg) with Highfolk, covering the Royal Highway. East of Baranford.

I think the Sentinel ports and Bronzeblood Haunt will be on the map below from the look of things.

Moblofft has one b - sorry for my poor spelling.
    I think its spelled Terlisean - even quasi-deities can misspell!

Hope that helps!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:56 am  

Great!!! Happy

I will try and implement all these findings and return with an update in 2 or 3 days.

//Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:20 pm  

How could I miss that, The Ruins of Robilar? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed .
    I should have known better, but was certain he would be located in the Bright Desert?
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:06 am  

Anna wrote:
    Great!!! Happy

I will try and implement all these findings and return with an update in 2 or 3 days.

//Anna

Actually, the Paizo map shows two more towns of which I wasn't aware:

Fountainspring - just west of Pantarn, slightly further south; if you draw a line between Pantarn and Caronis it lies just north of the line.

Attstad - on the eastern bank of the Att River, nestled in the river turn, north east of Dapplewood. You can draw a line from Kisail through the wood. I think this one might be off the bottom of the map though.

I'll have to go back and update my gazeteer but if anybody knows what these are all information welcome!
    Master Greytalker

Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:23 am  

Ok got some more info off teh Gord Greyhawk webpage - apparently the locations come from the Gord novels, although some of the information may have been contradicted by more recent canon:

Broad Ford
    This ford across the Att is 10 miles north of Littleberg and 100 miles from Libernan to the south east (hex O4-88 apparently). There is shallow water to a high bridge on the East side, enabling river traffic.

Fountainspring
    This town is one day and one league (63 miles total) north of Littleberg. It shuts its gates at night, and is a thriving agricultural market place. The walls are half completed. There are about 2000 residents. There are many inns and hostels

Pangate
    This is the sole crossing of the Veng River and lies far above the crossroads. (E4-78)

Stump
    This is a seedy little village that lies one week by horse west of Littleberg. It has a reputation for sheltering outlaws. They have many fences, a gambling house, and a brothel. (Q4-81)

Tusham
    This town is about ten hours by horse from Crockport. There is a devil swine on the loose near here. (R4-80)
    A narrow path leads west into the heart of the Vesve forest. After an hour walk, it splits into west-southwest and veering north. Along the north path there are occasional side paths to hunter's residences. It leads to a hermit's cave in a low cliff bordering a small stream.

I couldn't find anything on Attsted though. Although Erik Mona was aware of Port Valour (from the Castles supplement) he didn't include it on the Paizo map so I think we should assume that Barduk and Port Valour are the same settlement.

Hope that helps!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:01 am  

Wow this is what I call help! Happy

I have tried my best to incorporate all the things you have pointed out Paul. I had forgotten about the Paizo maps, stupid me I used them extensively in the past Embarassed

New versions of area 45 and 46 are available in the web storage:

Pangate eludes me though, can’t seem to find where to place it. It’s late and I have worked all day, can be the reason. But I will need some more info on it.

You are right Skjorn Robilar is residing in the Bright Desert, running Bright Lands, but under a new banner. So I decided to place his old banner where it was used.

Thanks again for all help

//Anna
    Master Greytalker

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:38 pm  

Yeah I struggled with Parngate too; it might be one of those locations that doesn't translate from the books. I'll dig out my old Darlene maps and see where that hex is situated at the weekend.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:44 am  

The hex is located half way between Molag and Castle Hart. Is it Pangate or Parngate and what is it, a river crossing of some sort, village or a town?

//Anna
    Master Greytalker

Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:56 am  

Hmm well, no further information on the Gord site but it is Parngate.

It was most probably a hamlet near a bridge that has since been destroyed, perhaps there was a settlement there once but now it is deserted. I can't see a little village next to a route into the Horned Society lasting long in these dark times!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:55 am  

Agree, I made it a ruined hamlet along the Veng between Fendrelan and Batlet.

New version uploaded!
    //Anna
    Master Greytalker

Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:07 pm  

Noooo - it was Pangate! Embarassed I got confused because I'm working on my Geoff gazeteer and Cadofyth Parn was one of the npcs. Sorry!

I will have to stop answering questions while I'm at work.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:15 am  

What counts is to get it right in the end, great help Paul Smile

Corrected maps are uploaded.

I promised a sneak preview of my future project in April and its near the end of the month so here it is:

It is a very early rendering without detail or terrain.

//Anna
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:25 pm  

It's definitely a temple or cathedral of some kind(not that I’ve taken a couple hundred pictures of cathedral architecture while on vacations or anything… Happy). the flying butresses kind of give it away. Based on the silhouette, I can't tell if it is one that I know of though. The Falcon trilogy has those cardboard buildings and floor plans of the temple of St. Cuthbert in Greyhawk City, so that one wouldn't be too difficult to recreate. A better job of it could be done in artwork than was done on the cardboard buildings, which were pretty much built off a single template of art for the shingled roofs and patchwork stone walls for the temple and most of the other stone buildings. I know I have a bunch of the unassembled sheets lurking about still, but I did put together the Temple of St. Cuthbert. Still, the cardboard buuildings could be used as the base, and just be made to look a lot nicer. It is something I considered doing myself a long time ago, but I started to make "real" terrain instead.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:37 pm  

I'm guessing it's the ToEE.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:08 pm  

My first thought was about the TOEE too, but that tower... I don't know...

Saludos!
    Gabriel

Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:39 pm  

Hi Anna
    I'm someone else stunned by your mapmaking abilities!

Could these maps be placed on a globe by any chance?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:22 pm  

carlanco wrote:
    My first thought was about the TOEE too, but that tower... I don't know...

Saludos!
    Gabriel

This could be correct too, but we don't have anything to represent scale yet so it's hard to tell. If it is a more intact ToEE though, there should be more than one outer defensive tower. The tower in the ToEE is a mostly ruined nub refered to as the "Broken Tower", but that tower may jsut be part o the ToEE instead. Then there is that mist...so maybe it is the ToEE. The only question now is how long will Anna make us wait until she unveils what it is. Laughing

Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:22 am  

The building above definitely has a temple feel, perhaps ToEE; with its gothic style it could be to St. Cuthbert as well.

Here's a leap, how about a temple and palace combined? Could it be a palace belonging to Iuz?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:18 am  

Your speculations are correct it’s the ToEE, or to be more correct MY view of how the temple looked like in its prime before its cult was brought down.

Beside my mapping of the Flanaess I’m working on a series of Illustrations of famous places from the Greyhawk campaign setting. I choose to try and start where so many of us started our adventures the ToEE, Nulb and Hommlet.

Here is a screenshot that shows the basic model of the temple.

I placed the fog in the first render to hide the fact that there aren’t any details on the model yet. Well some details guardian demons on the tower are in place and most of the other things are done but still a secret.

In a couple of weeks my project will have a new home on the web at ghmaps.net
    There will be a grand opening with some special treats which are long sought after so stay tuned Exclamation

Yes Bob I will try and do a globe version of my maps but that is in the far future. The Flanaess is only a small part of Oerth and most of the planet isn’t explored enough to map yet, a thing I hope you guys can fix in the upcoming years so I have something more to map.

//Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:42 am  

I'm so looking forward to your website!

Yesterday I printed map 45 and 46 for an upcoming campaign and they look friggin' gorgeous!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:38 pm  

Great to hear that Smile

Good luck with your campaign!

//Anna
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun May 18, 2008 8:38 am  

I just wanted to say that my website http://ghmaps.net has opened.

Not much to look at yet, but there are the latest versions of my maps and one new rather cool (and big) map!

Sun May 18, 2008 9:42 am  

Wow Anna, I'm really liking your Temple of Elemental Evil. I could have used it a little over a year ago or so when I ran the module. I'm wondering if you could put a little chamber in there for me (very plush looking please)? I need a place to stay while my temple is under reconstruction. According to the contracter we went through it is my understanding that they are subcontracting Anna and Co. to do the Temple of Istus In Greyhawk City. I'll send you the specifications of my personal chamber later. Happy

Mon May 19, 2008 7:48 am  

Anna, this web site looks like it will be great. One item of note though: on the maps page you have last two sections listed as section 73. The thumb on the page for the last section is map 74, but the jpg and pdf links are to map 73.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon May 19, 2008 9:27 am  

Corrected!

Thanks alot Telemachus.

Eileen send me the specs and I will put your room there Laughing

//Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed May 21, 2008 4:34 am  

Hey Anna just wondering what kinda software your running for this project and what kinda hard drive(s) you are using.

I would like to try doing something like this for my own campaign world.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed May 21, 2008 6:10 am  

Love the new website, Anna! The maps are beautiful. Smile
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next]
    Page 2 of 7

Jump to: