JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - [OWDP] The Ancient Oeridians
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Oerth Journal
    [OWDP] The Ancient Oeridians
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:38 am  
    [OWDP] The Ancient Oeridians

Note, this is for Old High Oeridian. It does not include variations based on the myriad Oeridian tribal tongues.

Sample Lexicon

azal’lan
    Meaning: wizard ruler/king

Note:
    - assumed that azal is the Oeridian word for 'king' or 'ruler'
    - assumed that when azal is included in a name, it becomes –asal
    - Strasal contains –asal, so one can see it’s a dynastic name used by a clan
    - Strasal became Stroices in Nipponei

Last edited by ephealy on Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:30 am  

I have an incomplete High History of the Aerdi that delves into the legends and wanderings of the Oerids before the Great Migrations.

In short: Led by Rasgon's work on this, I place the ancient Oerid homeland north of the Celestial Imperium on what is now "Orchreich". The Oerids were steppes nomads and ancient kin to the Bakluni. They were scattered east and west by the unification and expansion of the Celestial Imperium (which not only expanded into their lands, but displaced large populations of humanoids). The forefathers of the Oerids of Ull and the Flanaess went east; the ancestors of the Oerids of Thalos went west (taking the faith of Stratis with them).

I really should finished that document and post it here.

P.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:34 am  

I'd really be interested in seeing your 'High History', even if incomplete. Post what you have, even in snippets, and lets see if we can help you finish it.

That area north of the Celestial Imperium will likely be renamed "Darak Urtag." At least, that's the name Rick's got on the current version of his map.

I wouldn't have a problem with the Oeridians, at least some of them, being from that region. It would be a great place for the more settled Oeridians to have come out of--which still leaves room for more "barbaric" elements of the Oeridian stock to the south. (I've more or less been considering the entire eastern half of what is now labeled "The Celestial Imperium" to be filled with nomadic tribes in ancient times.)

I must stress that I've chosen to use the term "Baklunish" a bit more conservatively than most people. I only apply the term Baklunish to those paynim tribes that fled to the East--those that directly founded the Baklunish Empire, and by extension, the modern Baklunish states. Before they crossed into the east, settling south of the Gulf of Ghayar, I consider them to be Paynim, and use that term exclusively.

But your point is sound. Oeridian and "Paynim" tribes likely mixed. I would go so far as to say that the main cultural distinction is that the Paynim were equestrian nomads, while the Oeridians tended to found small settlements and utilize agricultural sciences a bit more (picture the town at the beginning of The Beastmaster if you want to).

If you have the time, check out the [OWDP] Baena thread. It represents my attempt to add a small kingdom in the western Sulhauts--founded by some of the Oeridians that left the "west" (or, in this discussion, the NW).

Anyway, post what you've got and let's have a look!
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:43 am  

Sorry - not ignoring this. Just haven't had the time to get to it. Will attempt to do so this week.

P.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Oerth Journal All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: