JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Earth Dragon's dogma as revealed in Slavers
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Earth Dragon's dogma as revealed in Slavers
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:32 pm  
    Earth Dragon's dogma as revealed in Slavers

I lost my copy of Slavers a long time ago, and can't recall what the dogma of the Earth Dragon. Anyone able to help?
    Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:00 pm  

Dogma: "The Earth Dragon provides. The great god is the spirit of the earth and those who worship and obey it will be protected. The Earth Dragon knows all the secrets of the land, and favors its chosen with knowledge and power. Those who worship, sacrifice, and spread the faith please the god."
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:51 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    Dogma: "The Earth Dragon provides. The great god is the spirit of the earth and those who worship and obey it will be protected. The Earth Dragon knows all the secrets of the land, and favors its chosen with knowledge and power. Those who worship, sacrifice, and spread the faith please the god."

Well, no one ever accused Sean K. Reynolds of originality in his work, heheh.

Thanks a lot.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:25 pm  

ROFL!!!
    Ya, the Earth Dragon never really captured my imagination.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Master Greytalker

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:26 am  

At least they talked of Stalman Klim wandering the planes as the Dragon's divine proxy. Plenty of scope to develop him properly.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:16 am  

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    mortellan wrote:

Well, no one ever accused Sean K. Reynolds of originality in his work, heheh.

Thanks a lot.

Well, GH does not always get that description either. Hehe.

Merlin: The Dragon! A beast of such power that if you were to see it whole and all complete in a single glance it would burn you to sinders
    Arthur: Where is it?
    Merlin: It is everywhere. It is everything. It scale glisten in the bark of treas, it's roars is heard in the wind, and it's forked tounge strike like, like, yes like lightning
    Arthur: What must I, where
    Merlin: Do Nothing, be silent. Rest in the arms of the dragon. Dream

Movie: Excalibur
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082348/

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:40 am  

When I read slavers, I thought that The Earth Dragon was a varient sect of the church of The Elder Elemental Eye. Just goes to show how much of an impression it make on me. Wink
    Master Greytalker

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:39 am  

No, that's pretty much what it was originally conceived as. Still is, as far as I know though there are plenty of magazine articles and such I've not read that might have changed that.
    GreySage

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:42 pm  

Well, Slavers itself made it clear that the Earth Dragon was a deity in its own right, with no connection to the Elder Elemental Eye mentioned. It was called a demigod, with its home realm Mount Drachenkopf on Oerth, a nature spirit, one of many. It got a complete write-up on page 124-125. I'm not sure how it was presented in the original Slave Lords modules.

It never really "captured my imagination," either; I like the idea of nature spirits worshiped as gods by the ancient Flan, but it's not a terribly exciting deity for a sinister slave-trading organization to revere.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:54 am  

I agree. If the religion of the Slavers is going to be a major element of their character, it should be an interesting religion, such as The Elder Elemental Eye, Hextor, Vecna or something like that.

I like my idea of the Dragon being an Elemental Eye varient. Maybe it's pretending to be a nature spirit to atract worshippers who would avoid the Eye?
    Master Greytalker

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:28 am  

I gave Mak a special feat to illustrate his pact with the dragon and explain part way why a know-nothng half-orc with a low charisma became one of the most powerful warlords in history. You can always give other slaver agents feats, special abilities or minor magical items to give old Earthy a bit more mystique.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:20 pm  

In my campaign I am setting up a fight between the Earth Dragon cult (a front for Asmodeus) and followers of Tiamat (mostly dragonblooded and dragons with few humanoid fanatics here and there). This will be the focus of the poor Baklunish Sorcerer player's meta-plot (he has the Dragon Heritage Feat).

My two coppers,

Bryan Blumklotz
    AKA Saracenus
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:23 pm  

I'm running an A-series variant, and I've dropped the Earth Dragon cult business. The Slave Lords are agents of the Scarlet Brotherhood now.
    Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:28 pm  

IMC I leaned towards that too. It served the greater overall scope of the GH campaign to have the Slavelords be a tentacle of the SB's masterplan to rule the FLanaess.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: