Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Are you a member of the RPGA for LG tournaments/source mater
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Are you a member of the RPGA for LG tournaments/source mater

Are you a member of the RPGA for LG tournaments/source material?
    Member of RPGA for LG tournaments
    39%
     39%  [ 9 ]
    Used to be a member of RPGA for LG tournaments but was unsatisfied (cost?/standand?)
    4%
     4%  [ 1 ]
    NOT a member of RPGA but am considering becoming one for LG
    4%
     4%  [ 1 ]
    NOT a member of RPGA and never intend on becoming one
    52%
     52%  [ 12 ]
    Total Votes : 23

Journeyman Greytalker

Fri May 28, 2004 5:30 am  
    Are you a member of the RPGA for LG tournaments/source mater

I'm not a member of the RPGA and don't play in LG tournaments. In fact, I have no intention of joining the RPGA. I'm happy pottering away with my little group in my own little GH campaign.

Anyway, I was just wondering how many people of Canonfire were members of the RPGA and active participants of LG tournaments.

I don't know much about the RPGA and how often LG tournaments are run. I don't know anything about the costs either.

How often do members receive the LG Journal? Is this always of high quality?
    Novice

Fri May 28, 2004 9:57 am  
    RPGA and Living Greyhawk

I am a member, and a Herald level GM in the RPGA (meaning I took the online test), and have found it to be rewarding.

It is a way to get free adventures to supplement my current greyhawk campaign. Sure I run Game Days once a month, which is how I get the modules, and that takes time away from my normal campaign. And sure, the modules are hit and miss, but some of the LG modules are great.

Oh, and you can't beat the price: FREE.

Some of the current adventures deal with the Scarlet Brotherhood, last year an Island rose up in the Nyr Dyv. Lots of NPCs to incorporate. Good resource. Needs to be supplemented by Greyhawk scholars, but if I remember correctly some of the adventures have been written by Erik Mona and good ol' Iquander is one heck of a Greyhawk scholar.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri May 28, 2004 11:25 am  

I'm not a member. I'm like you Baggins, I don't really have any intentions of joining. We're happy with keeping up the current Greyhawk we've evolved during our treks across Oerth. Though I really do enjoy reading about other people's personal Oerth with their own PC's and NPC's moving and shaking around the Flanaess. I love sites that keep up current accounts of home spun, or module led Greyhawk campaigns.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri May 28, 2004 8:39 pm  

Am I an inferior GH player for not joining the RPGA and supporting LG?

In EGG's non-fiction work, "Role-Playing Mastery", he says that to acheive true mastery, a player/GM will eventually have to contribute to the wider gaming community: ie. joining roleplaying associations, playing in tournaments, etc.
    Forum Moderator

Fri May 28, 2004 9:57 pm  

I belonged to the RPGA before Living Greyhawk but have never participated in anything regarding it. I got into it just for Polyhedron and the Living Greyhawk Journal material. Now neither seem to be around, heh.

I support LG and their authors but don't intend to play in my area (Verbobonc) anytime soon. I am showing my support through Canonfire writings and the forums mainly.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri May 28, 2004 10:01 pm  

you need more catagories dude... I am an RPGA memeber, but have never attended a LG tournament (or a tournament of any other type for that matter).
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri May 28, 2004 10:14 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    I belonged to the RPGA before Living Greyhawk but have never participated in anything regarding it. I got into it just for Polyhedron and the Living Greyhawk Journal material. Now neither seem to be around, heh.

You say that neither Polyhedron or the LG Journal are around anymore. I didn't know this. How long have they been out of circulation? Will they be returning?

Does this mean that GH actually has no printed support now?
    Adept Greytalker

Fri May 28, 2004 10:35 pm  

Dungeon magazine will be carrying alot of greyhawk adventures and I would assume some articles as well (considering that DM related aritcles will be appearing in Dungeon rather then dragon starting in september).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 29, 2004 11:02 am  

[quote="Baggins"]
    mortellan wrote:
    You say that neither Polyhedron or the LG Journal are around anymore. I didn't know this. How long have they been out of circulation? Will they be returning?

Does this mean that GH actually has no printed support now?

They only just now went out of circlulation. The LGJ is ending in name only. From now on, however, there will be frequent "Living Greyhawk Approved" articles in Dungeon magazine. Ending it as a faux magazine-within-a-magazine allows Paizo to save money on having to produce a separate internal-cover to signify the change in content.

This is all a part of the reorganization of Paizo's magazines. The major news and discussion of it happened over on the ENWorld site.

Regards,
    Eric Anondson
    Forum Moderator

Sat May 29, 2004 9:31 pm  

Gah, I'm sorry Baggins. Sometimes I tend to leave out vital details when I pass along news. Yeah we'll get plenty of GH content in Dungeon if not more!
    CF Admin

Sun May 30, 2004 1:04 pm  
    Re: RPGA and Living Greyhawk

AaronBurr wrote:
    I am a member, and a Herald level GM in the RPGA (meaning I took the online test), and have found it to be rewarding.
    I share this sentiment. I am an RPGA member specifically for my regional Living Greyhawk area, Nyrond. I have become increasingly more involved in Greyhawk through LG. Beyond that, I don't deal with the RPGA.

Being an RPGA member does not automatically make you a better player or DM. There is the potential to learn from a lot of people and share your experiences. And that is one of the strengths of LG, I think. You get exposure to many people and their ideas and experiences. At my house, it is the same four players every time with the same approaches and personalites - and that is okay too - just different.

Like most things in life, you get what you put into it. LG has great DMs (John Jenks, Brad Hawkes) and deplorable DMs (names witheld to portect the guilty) in the Nyrond region.

Sun May 30, 2004 3:16 pm  

eanondson wrote:
    They only just now went out of circlulation. The LGJ is ending in name only.

So how many issues of LGJ got published in the end?

Maybe I can track them down second-hand one day.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 30, 2004 3:43 pm  
    LG Backissues

I not sure if any copies of the Living Greyhawk Journal still exist to be had first-hand from WotC. I checked the website and couldn't find a reference anywhere for ordering backissues. They've been OOP for at least a year or so.

Vernon L. Vincent
    Verbobonc Triad
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:53 pm  

I joined just for LG back in 2000 and DM and I've written a module too and I'm working on another one.

Mike
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: