JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Classic Modules
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Classic Modules
    Novice

Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:44 am  
    Classic Modules

I'm bumping around between various options for what my next "big campaign" is going to be, and one option that recently sprang up was taking ye olde classics, 1ed and 2ed adventure lines, buying the PDFs, and running them in 3e. Unfourtanetly, as a younger guy I am not very familiar with which of these are of the greatest quality and which are just kind of "there." I'm hoping for a series that that has well-crafted hooks from one module to the next, instead of just "oh, look, a hole! Let's go in!" at the end of the the first and into the second. Some that I seem to have heard pretty consistently are the Slave Lords and Against the Giants/Descent/Drow lines, but I'd like some second opinions. Evidently there was some "BIG MONDO LINE OF DOOM" that went ToEE, Slave Lords, Giants, Descent, Drow Queen. If all of that is actually good stuff, then that sounds like the stuff for me If not... I'm kinda interested in the Vecna-related stuff, myself.

Relating to that, whatever happened to the big conversion library that was once the bread and butter of ENWorld? Did Eric Noah originally envision this site as a repository for conversions of "Old Goodies" to 3e? I see the current one ENWorld sports, but it's kinda small, a good portion of the links are dead, and it just doesn't seem very extensive. I was going to use this as my major tool for converting anything I get, but...yipes, without that maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew

Note: I'm not big on the hacknslash, rather I go for a blend of smack stuff and roleplaying/overarching plots, etc. I'm wary of things like Tomb of Horrors, for example.

I originally posted this on ENWorld, and someone suggested this might be a good place to ask around.

Thanks!
    Eltern
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:21 am  

Quote:
    Some that I seem to have heard pretty consistently are the Slave Lords and Against the Giants/Descent/Drow lines, but I'd like some second opinions.

Excellent choices. As for my opinion I'd say you're on the right track. Against the Giants...good memories there, though for some reason everyone always insisted on trying to burn down the water-logged hill giant stronghold. I suppose the allure of that much wood in one place was too great for most adventurers.

You also mentioned ToEE. Everyone should go through Temple. Temple is a great deal of hack n slash, though. But with a creative DM it can become quite the roleplaying adventure as well given the towns of Hommlet and Nulb, and that leads straight into Scourge of the Slavelords.

I think there are mixed reactions to some of the Vecna stuff. I personally enjoyed playing in the Vecna adventures, though I remember my DM complaining a great deal while he was familiarizing himself with the adventures. Especially Die, Vecna, Die.

Tomb of Horrors? I still burst into tears when I come across that module on the shelf. Shocked

As for 3e conversion at ENWorld, or anywhere else for that matter? I can't help with that,I still play 2e. But many of the guys here at Canonfire are 3e'ers so maybe they can point you in the right direction.

Any other suggestions for Eltern?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:49 am  

For a lower level series of great adventures, I recommend the U1-U2-U3 Saltmarsh Saga. It starts out as a low level investigation into t haunted house and ends up being a full blown, commando style raid into a sahuagin stronghold.

There are a lot of opportunities to role play throughout these modules, good story line with a mystery to solve, it takes place in southernKeoland and can be adopted for just about any era of time. And yes, there are some challenging combat opportunities! So, if your characters a not yet high enough levels to tackle the Against the Giants or some of the other classic adventures, these will do for you 1st through 4th level types.

O-D
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:02 pm  

I second the U series as well, great roleplaying opportunities (if your Pcs are up to it Confused ) and the three sit well together to form a logical story. It also fits nicely into the Slavers if you wish...

Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:25 pm  

So it looks like some options I have are GDQ, Desert of Desolation, U1-3, the megamodule for Slavers, and the Night Below. None of these but U1-3 and Slavers apparently fit together well, level wise (old Slavers could fit into GDQ, but not the megamodule, which is more sensical, plotwise). I've been able to find conversions for Desert and Slavers, but does anyone here know of 3e/3.5e conversions for GDQ, U1-3, or the Night Below? I'm probably going to get the PDFs of all of these and just run what I like the most, unless anyone has any more advice, but 3e conversions already available will make me much more likely to run any of them Smile

Thanks!
    Eltern
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:19 am  

There may be some information here for you about 3e conversions of the Night Below.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/zimriel/NightBelow/
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:21 pm  

U1-3 is a good series, and I think (assuming the PCs are ready for it) could easily hook into the Against the Giants series. If they manage to make a name for themselves by completing the U-series, they would come to the attention of (at least) the local Keoish nobility. They, or perhaps an advisor to King Skotti, could send them to assist Lashton (the King's Agent investigating Lolth's bubble in Sterich).

The suggested connection between Slavers and Giants always seemed extraordinarily contrived to me. The U-series presents an excellent bridge in a sense. In southern Keoland, grateful townsfolk or the local ruler could express thanks while mentioning another problem -- increases in slaver raids along the coast, enter the Slave Lords. If the party manages to bring down the Slavers at the request of Keoland, they are certain to come to the attention of more powerful Keoish nobles, perhaps even the King. And these more powerful NPCs are certain to have bigger problems, enter the Giants. This could increasingly get the players involved in Keoish power politics. (IMC, I had argued with my fellow adventurers to go after Lashton - the DM managed to really push my buttons with this character - we started to investigate him but he caught wind of it; let's just say that we decided that the Iron League could use our help and that was the last big idea that my party took from my character!).

ToEE has similar opportunities for setting up other adventures. Any party succeeding in overcoming the Temple forces would come to attention of rulers (or some other powerful characters) in Verbobonc, Furyondy, and Veluna, (all nations that keep tabs on the Temple ruins) in addition to Knights of the Hart. They might also come to the attention of Iuz. And if they should find and free Thrommel from the Temple...
    Novice

Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:44 pm  

I'm kind of wondering how the levels will work out in 3e. U1-3 I think will take them from levels 1-3.5ish The conversion of the Slave Lords megamodule I have starts at level 7. I was thinking try to squeeze Desert of Desolation in the middle, but it'll probably not fit, right?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:02 am  

Desert of Desolation is HUGE undertaking (originally I5-I7, I believe) and the opening hook is very contrived. Plus the adventure doesn't even take place in Greyhawk. With so many good Greyhawk-based modules to play, I'd leave Desert of Desolation on the shelf. Don't get me wrong though - it's a great megamodule well worth playing someday.

And I have to say that ToEE is a must-play. I've DM'd it for many parties over the years, and everyone has enjoyed it tremendously.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:12 am  
    Favorite modules

The U1-U2-U3 series is quite possibly the best I've ever run. I DM'd the first half of U1 in a candle-lit room with spooky music.... Phenomenal atmosphere!

For the rest of the series, everyone spoke in Pirate-ese. "Arr, matey" and all that. Great fun.

I have a place in my heart for White Plume Mountain, but it was the players who did it. I somehow managed to DM a very disparate group who did all they could to kill each other by the end of the module. It wasn't intentional, just high-school thin skin.

Anyway, it ended with one surviving Ranger (after a Magic-User had run off). The runaway M-U ambushed the Ranger in the entrance tunnel with a Web spell, and hit him with darts. The Ranger took him out with his longbow. Then, in the stupidist move ever, with three hit points, he burned the webs. 1d6 damage! I rolled the damage publicly, getting a 2. (I was hoping for more, so I could tell them to cooperate next time.)

Other favorites were T1-T4, although we only got through T2 before I had to go to college....

Best of all were the homebrews. Like the old family keep that a deja riche merchant hired the group to clear out for 1,000 gp each. The characters didn't realize that there were four layers of dungeon beneath it, and almost ended up losing money in the deal....

Telas
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:41 pm  

Personally still feel that you can run TofEE, Slavers campaign and then the battle against the Giants drow etc back to backl especially if you play the politics aspects of slavers and Temple at the start and also putting in things like S4, and a couple of the I modules which are slightly quirky.

I find it funny what Tedra said about G1 though, as we burnt it down as well thanks to liberal use of a couple of Material spells. It went up a treat thank you. Although the DM was very kind about us finding the map to the next stronghold though...........
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:04 am  

i'm sure everybody knows this site...but just in case u don't, check it out...

www.svgames.com

i picked up 3 pdf's...of sourcebooks of GH..including the 83 World Of Greyhawk..and printed it out...sucked my printers ink dry though..
    but well worth it...

dunno if they have the same deals going on..but each one was only 4 bucks a piece...a bargain i must say
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: