Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - So what are you doing on Worldwide D&D Day?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    So what are you doing on Worldwide D&D Day?
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:53 pm  
    So what are you doing on Worldwide D&D Day?

Just curious what others are doing on Worldwide D&D day?

Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:00 pm  

When is it?

Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:16 pm  

Nov. 3rd, so it's not all that far away.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:34 am  

Worldwide D&D day? First I've heard of it. I guess I'll have to go something for it, I guess.

Say, when did Worldwide D&D Day start happening? Is it new or something?
    Master Greytalker

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:28 am  

This is the 4th year in a row. It was originally announced in Dragon magazine 4 years ago. You can go on the WEB and find out a little about what they are doing.

Basically what WOTC does is have a Worldwide D&D day where we are encouraged to play, visit our local game stores and invite someone else new to play. The set up arrangements with the game stores around the world and give them prizes to distribute throughout the day.

WOTC also have an adventure they introduce for D&D day in which DM's can run in the game stores for customers who walk in. Your local game store (and by that I don't mean a book store but an actual comics and games types of store) will have a sign up for what time you can play and for a set time as well. They do this to incorporate as many players as possible. The gaming stores have sales on merchandise as well.

The gaming stores also invite gaming celebrities to their store to sign autographs, sell merchandise, have their picture taken with D&D fans, and you get to visit with them for awhile.

Later, you get to have them DM for you if you get signed up in time as well.

All the store related things I mentioned I'm sure vary from game store to game store. Some will do other things I would assume. The gaming store I go to is called The Source Comics and Games in the Twin Cities, MN.

Two years ago I met Monte Cook and talked to him for a while. They also had Dave Arneson as well. Last year they had Larry Elmore. Talk about a really nice guy. He's was impressive (and also my favorite artist). We bought a couple of drawing prints from him and because he liked my daughter so much we got 2 for the price of 1.

They also served hotdogs, coke, chips, etc. and had hundreds of people in the store throughout the day. This is a big store and even at opening, it was so crowded you honestly had a hard time walking through the isles. It was great. Planning on going back this year.

Check with the nearest big game store next to you and find out what they are doing.

As already mentioned, this is a worldwide event so it is kinda cool that folks in all these different countries are playing D&D and shopping all at the same time.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:39 am  

Here in Buenos Aires we are organizing the 4th D&D day. The negotiations about the place are finishing (the main hall of an university), but our main concern are the posible problems whith customs (we have some the other years because of a national law to incentive local production of toys, and D&D minis are considered toys).
    I still remember the first, it was very fun.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:09 am  

That day I'll be DMing 4 back-to-back 2-hour introductory scenarios (actually the same scenario 4 times in a row, not 4 different scenarios) and then teaching a "How to play D&D" seminar in the evening.

Needless to say, I'll be tired that night.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:05 am  

I don't have the luxury of planning that far ahead. I start a new job at Hewlett Packard on Monday and have no idea what my permanent schedule will look like yet.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:01 am  
    Hmm

i was planning on kissing a girl for the first time ever that night but now i think ill DM the keep on the border lands module....
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:12 am  
    Re: Hmm

Butterbean wrote:
    i was planning on kissing a girl for the first time ever that night but now i think ill DM the keep on the border lands module....

ROFLMAO! Laughing Why not do both? Wink

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:20 am  

EileenProphetofIstus wrote:
    . . . The gaming store I go to is called The Source Comics and Games in the Twin Cities, MN.

Two years ago I met Monte Cook and talked to him for a while. They also had Dave Arneson as well. Last year they had Larry Elmore. Talk about a really nice guy. He's was impressive (and also my favorite artist). We bought a couple of drawing prints from him and because he liked my daughter so much we got 2 for the price of 1.

They also served hotdogs, coke, chips, etc. and had hundreds of people in the store throughout the day. This is a big store and even at opening, it was so crowded you honestly had a hard time walking through the isles. It was great. Planning on going back this year.

Same store I patronize. Cool Small world. Happy The Source is hands down one of the best game stores I've ever seen. I'm eagerly anticipating the eventual 3x clearance sale. Phoenix Games, another Twin Cities staple, cleared out almost their entire 3x inventory this summer at 70% off. I missed the start of the sale because of Gencon but still made out after I got back. (BTW, Phoenix games has moved out to Deep Haven and is opening an internet storefront that will beat Amazon, offering RPGs at 40% off MSRP) I'm imagining that sooner or later the Source will follow suit and discount all 3x massively to get their HUGE back stock off the shelves. Ummmmm. Cheap games. Happy

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:49 am  

GVDammerung wrote:
    Butterbean wrote:

ROFLMAO! Laughing Why not do both? Wink

But only if she looks like an orc.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:55 am  

Butterbean:

I'd make it an elf, just make sure it isn't a medusa in disguise.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:56 am  

GVD:

Maybe we could coordinate schedules and actually meet.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:26 am  

Butterbean wrote:

It's official - Butterbean wins the thread.

Besides, everybody knows gamers have no interest in girls.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:31 pm  

Smile hmmmm..........me thinks I'll be spending it in London....now whether I'm working or not.... that's another question.

More special game days should created.... say lets try and establish a Greyhawk Game Day.... maybe base it off of the original date it was released? Happy

Waddya think?

AncientGamer Cool .....a Greyhawkian in London.

</a>AncientGamer aka BusterBudd
    CF Admin

Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:24 pm  
    The List

Has anyone seen the list of participating retailers, yet? It was suppose to be out in August. August has come and gone. September has come and is going. I try to go to a different store year to support them all.

BusterBudd wrote:
    More special game days should created.... say lets try and establish a Greyhawk Game Day.... maybe base it off of the original date it was released?

That is a good idea, actually. Each year we'd need an adventure or two (perhaps with pregenerated characters). We'd need to pick a Saturday. And, we'd need to get the word out to retailers with gamedays and independent clubs that host gamedays.

Last edited by Greyson on Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:37 pm  

Count me in. Anything I can do to help?

Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:45 pm  
    Sure!

EileenProphetofIstus wrote:
    Count me in. Anything I can do to help?

I am sure there is, Eileen. We'll have to figure out the details. There are a lot of questions if we are gonna try such an event. I hate to hijack this thread, though. Keep this idea in mind, and we'll hash out the details.

To make this post less of a hijack, I'll keep my eye on Wizards of the Coast. They gotta post their list of participating locations. And, we should get to know which adventures shall be offered. Every year has had a Greyhawkish adventure, being the core setting, after all.
    CF Admin

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:48 pm  

Alas, on the 3rd I'll be in NJ for a Police concert, so I'm out, D&D-wise (although perhaps my brothers and I will pull the old PCs out in the afternoon? Hmm...).

Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:11 am  

I like the idea generally of a GH game day. I agree summer is the time. I like the GH support con idea too. I'm just throughly agreeable today! Happy

PS - Eileen. Sure. Whenever you're headed into the Twin Cities, PM me ahead of time and we will see what we can arrange. Smile

PSS - It strikes me I may have posted this to the wrong thread. Ooops! Oh, well. I'm just careless as well s carefree today. Laughing

Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:30 pm  

GVD:

I'll pm you as we get closer to the day. Glad to here your in better spirits today. Could have sworn you had been possessed earlier that one day.

We need to find out if we are going to have a license difficulty with WOTC. Even if we do, I suppose we could go for broke and actually request permission. Anyone here fell like writing an elagant letter?

Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:20 pm  

Hopefully, I'll make it out to my favorite store, TableTop. If not, perhaps somewhere else in the KC metro. It all depends on if any of my driving friends is going (which, sadly, I doubt Sad ).

Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:58 pm  

Worldwide D&D day is great, its the one day a year when my players let me take a break from DMing and I get to be a player. Plus you get all sorts of cool free minis (which was a good ploy, I never would have started buying those things if I didn't get that first taste for free!).
    Last year I happened to be in Manhattan and I found a store that was participating while my friends in T.O. played at the local shop - it was pretty cool knowing that even though we were separated by miles we were still going through the same adventure.
    CF Admin

Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:47 am  
    I Hope So

VictorVonDave wrote:
    Worldwide D&D day is great, its the one day a year when my players let me take a break from DMing and I get to be a player.

This kinda gets me excited for the gameday. I have missed all three of the previous ones because I have ended up judging some Living Greyhawk slot zero, judged at some other gameday, or some other triad related duty. This year I am so going because of the same sentiment you note, VictorVonDave.

Looks like this year shall be offering adventures in Icewind Dale. I don't imagine anyone here is gonna be attending in the Salt Lake or Provo areas?

Don (Greyson)
    CF Admin

Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:03 pm  

gargoyle wrote:
    Hopefully, I'll make it out to my favorite store, TableTop. If not, perhaps somewhere else in the KC metro.

Good to hear that TableTop's still around. Say hi to Phil :D
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: