ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Chronicles of Acererak
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop
    The Chronicles of Acererak
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:28 pm  

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=875&mode=thread&order=2&thold=0

I enjoyed this. Nice article.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:04 pm  

Thanks, Wolfsire, it was fun to write. Its a modified BG for a 3.5 epic version of Return to the Tomb of Horrors that I'm collaborating on with Mr. Rob Douglas. Its coming along nicely, but its a pretty big project and wont be ready for a while.

Trevor Watson
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:59 pm  

That sounds very interesting. I picked up Return when it came out and never got a chance to play it, although I've always wanted to. The coolest part about updating it for 3.5 is incorperating all the Tomb of Horrors inspired content that has appeared in the current edition of the game (The Black Lore of Moil feat from Complete Arcane, some of the spells from the Spell Compendium, etc.).

I also enjoyed your article. I especially liked your refutation of the idea of a plane-touched Acerak (I always wondered about that, how come the demi-lich skull didn't have any horns?) and your incorperation of Orcus by way of the imprisoned Balor. Nice work.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:34 pm  

VictorVonDave wrote:
    That sounds very interesting. I picked up Return when it came out and never got a chance to play it, although I've always wanted to. The coolest part about updating it for 3.5 is incorperating all the Tomb of Horrors inspired content that has appeared in the current edition of the game (The Black Lore of Moil feat from Complete Arcane, some of the spells from the Spell Compendium, etc.).

I also enjoyed your article. I especially liked your refutation of the idea of a plane-touched Acerak (I always wondered about that, how come the demi-lich skull didn't have any horns?) and your incorperation of Orcus by way of the imprisoned Balor. Nice work.

Like you, I picked up RttToH when it first came out but never got the chance to play it. Seeing a lot of the material later appear in the Epic Level Handbook and other books is what inspired me to convert it in the first place. The new sourcebook Elder Evils also has some great new ideas worth checking out.

Yeah, the cambion idea never really fit with my impression of Acererak so I changed that element of his BG. I'm glad you liked it, thanks for taking the time to read.

Trevor Watson
    CF Admin

Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:04 am  

I'm a big Acererak buff.

The piece was abit short for my tastes and I would have enjoyed more depth. Very Sargentesque. Well written, but leaving me wanting more.

Anyway, I've printed it out and thrown into my "Return to" box. I'll get some use out of it. Thanks. Wink

Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:02 pm  

Thanx for the feedback, Abysslin. Good observation of the Sargent approach, I'm a big fan of his stuff. He and Gygax were both good at leaving room for interpretation in their writing styles. I intentionally left parts vague because I found as I wrote more details of Acererak's life he lost a lot of his mystique, which is one of the things I like most about him. I wanted to flesh out his background while maintaining his menace, which can be very difficult if he's made "too human" (even though that's exactly what he was!) So I took the less-is-better road.

Anyways, since this is very much a work in progress I may submit more in the near future.

Trevor Watson
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: