JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Status of Gran March Project
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Gran March Gazetteer
    Status of Gran March Project
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:53 pm  
    Status of Gran March Project

What is the status of the Gran March Project? I imagine it obvious that people are busy with other things and the GMP has been delayed by some measure. Is a general status update reasonable to request?

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:49 am  
    Hello

Hello All!

Odd the timing of the request GVD. I am back and active, sorry for the long delay.

Let me tell you where we are... in the first year of the project we created a website and parcelled out a large number of articles to various authors. These folks did a wonderful job and I want to thank all of them.

However, then Katrina hit. Since that time I have been working diligently on a new project, and unable to turn my attention this way. My partners in the project, Ivor Mac and later Yabusama were both also pulled away.

However, in that time the following occured:

We created a website www.greyhawkonline.com/granmarch

We received dozens of articles on every imaginable aspect of Gran March.

Yabusama created some of the most amazing maps I have ever seen.

We recieved artwork.

A demographic breakdown of the nation was created that covers an enormous scope of information.

So.... you are wondering where that leaves us?

Well, Yabs is still having to focus on other things, and has turned over control of the website to me. I have begun editing articles for consistancey, and was about to begin posting them. I secured the new domain, www.granmarch.com.

However, then I discovered that I was completely unable to operate the website and update it. That is currently my challenge. Once I am able to work with HTML, I will begin placing these author's excellent work online, and jointly submitting them to CF! As they go up in one place they will go up in the other.

There are a few of the "Glue," type articles that are still unfinished, such as a complete history. GVD has stepped forward on that, and we may be able to send it up first.

So, we are back in the saddle... any suggestions on an HTML editor?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:13 pm  
    Re: Hello

Anced_Math wrote:
    Odd the timing of the request GVD. I am back and active, sorry for the long delay. . . . GVD has stepped forward on that, and we may be able to send it up first.

Timing is everything, so they say. Wink

Just so folks are clear, I am in the process of wrapping up a project right now (not sure how long that will take but I'm making very rapid progress at the moment) and when that is finished I have a Gran March related project I want to work on next, that will necessarily look at the history of the March.

While I am finishing my prior project and thereafter, I am pleased to be able to coordinate with AM and almost anyone else interested in the history of the GM. The end result may see a seemless whole, where I/AM just fold things into the GMP, or it may wind up something like the old AOL "fist Full of Hardbys" posts, variations on a theme as it were, in this case the GM's history. Too soon to tell but I am happy to coordinate efforts where possible.

Welcome back AM! Happy

Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:34 am  

I loved the Gran March Project until its birth. But I saw no more updates.

Some news?

I was waiting for Yubasama's marvelous maps. :D

Greetings,

Andrea
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:59 pm  
    Re: Hello

Anced_Math wrote:
    So, we are back in the saddle... any suggestions on an HTML editor?

I'll bring my laptop with me Friday, and I have an editor I'll give ya. Happy

Once I'm there, I'll see what I can do to hasten the updates of the actual site. Articles I can't help with much, but the technical end I certainly can.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:03 pm  

Merikel,

As to the updates, I think Mikel just answered that. He is going to assist in posting the articles that are just waiting on the Hard Drive. I have articles on the following:

The Army - Thanks to Hammar

The Temples and Gods with New Holy Symbols - Thanks to Firepower and Yabusama

Maps of the Baronies of the March - Thanks to Yabusama

The Barony of Aoidh with detailed Map - Thanks to Yabusama

The Mages of Gran March - by Anced

The Rushmoors - by Anced

The History of Hookhill - by Anced

The History of Shiboleth- by Anced

The Fashions of Gran March - Thanks GVD

The Literature of Gran March - Thanks to GVD

A Census of Gran March... Humans, Demi Humans, and all other creatures
    by Anced

Flora and Fauna of Gran March - By many

The Navy of Gran March (Yes there is a navy, and this is a fun article) - by GVD

The Holidays in the Gran March - by GVD

The Noble Houses of the March (revised)- by Ivor Mac, Yabusama and Anced

The Laws of the Gran March (revised) - By Wolfsire and Anced

I also have several pieces of artwork by various artists which we will post

These articles are all in a near final state. The only editing that is being done is to try and create a coherent project that is internally consistent.

I am going to work out a release schedule, and try and post each article to the Gran March site as it goes live on the CF!

I also have numerous draft articles from various persons which i am going to poke and see if they will assist in finishing them.

All of this depends upon the ability to post the articles. Yabusama was handling this in the past, but life often intrudes.

As to the Maps... they are beautiful. However, Yabusama has only completed the overall political map to his satisfaction and with appropriate copyright data. It will be posted ASAP.

He has draft maps on:

The Resources of Gran March

The Population Distribution in the March

Hookhill, with Districts.

Lortenford

Shiboleth

Each and every one are just as cool as they look in the thumbnail.

Anyway, it is our hope to move forward very soon.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:50 pm  

AM,

Let me know if you need anything else from me. I mostly just lurk from time to time (DMing 2-a-week is tough!), but I'll get anything you need ASAP.

Firepower

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:41 am  

Hey Firepower! I thought we had lost you forever. Great to see you back.

I would like to expand your work on the churches to discuss their histories in the March. Maybe just exchanging a few posts. GVD and I are working on the History of the March. Can you PM an email address for you?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:16 pm  

Sure thing! I've still got all of my notes, so anything new and/or expanded will be easy to add in.

Heck, with a little work I could give a paragraph or two each for the Gods not covered.

Just let me know what you need. This is "the calm before the storm" at work, so I figure I've got about 6-8 weeks before things get crazy again.

Gotta love life in uniform. Cool

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:06 pm  

I am glad to see this area of Grewhawk getting some attention. I see alot of world politic potential here for my campaign and will appreciate whatever ideas you develop for Gran March. I agree the maps are stunning. Great work!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:01 pm  

Did this project ever reach fruition?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:19 am  

hedgeknight wrote:
    Did this project ever reach fruition?

If by that you mean "did it ever bear fruit", the answer is yes. There is some great stuff that was created. Poke around to find the site that hosts the doc and search this forum for ideas. But it has yet to be completed as envisioned, AFAIK.

Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:57 am  

Well, I went to the site and tried to open the maps but they were not available yet for viewing except as thumbnails. So, that's why I asked if there was a final product.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:04 pm  

I've been wondering about the status of the project myself. It seems there's quite a team of writers, and I anticipate good stuff.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:58 pm  
    Hello All

I would like to say that the project was a success, but I dont think that is quite true. It has been nearly a year since I have had time to visit the site regularly, and longer than that since I have had a chance to spend any significant time on the project.

We did have some amazing stuff submitted, covering nearly every aspect of the Gran March, from the army to clothing, religion, and of course the maps. However, our cartographer had asked that we not release the maps till he was satisfied with them. Unfortunately personal issues have taken him away and he seems unlikely to return.

As to all the rest, I have several dozen articles resident on my hard drive, from numerous authors, simply awaiting the day I have time to edit them into a cohesive whole. Anyone with any editing skill is welcome to take a crack at it, just send me a PM.

Anced the long lost.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:02 am  
    Gran March Gazetteer

Neutral Is anything actually going to ever be released on the site? i.e. the maps? The thumbnails look wonderful, but are quite useless unless you have the map itself. Is everything else ever going to be uploaded and released? Hope so, am so looking forward to it.

TT
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:22 am  
    Hello

I am sorry that i have been out of touch. For the last year or so i have been travelling every other week to places with limited or no internet.

I have the original maps, but the cartographer has never authorized public release. He has also been absent from the site for several years. I will attempt to reach him by email and will post again soon.

We have tons of draft articles (and I mean tons... in the two to three dozen range). I have not had time to do any proofing however. Sorry it started with a bang, went out with a whimper.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:33 pm  

I found the Gran March site online, but it was only partly done. The nobility stuff is great. I would love to see the maps. Are they available anywhere?
    Forum Moderator

Sat May 09, 2020 8:39 pm  

After many years of prodding, my players have finally decided we will do a campaign in Geoff and the Gran March. I went to the link to get a copy of the Gran March Gazetteer but the link is dead. Does someone have the final (or as close to) version that they can provide? Along with the maps if possible.

Thanks

Wed May 13, 2020 12:22 pm  

Hey all,

I took the information available on this forum and merged it all together into one mega pdf. Roughly 70 pages. Added in some maps as well. A Word version is available here:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=242

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Longetalos on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
    GreySage

Thu May 14, 2020 12:31 pm  

This is great work, Longetalos! Thank you for putting it all into a convenient format. Smile

SirXaris
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: