JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Highland Clans Question
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Highland Clans Question
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:05 pm  
    Highland Clans Question

Are there any areas of the Flannaes where I could plausibly fit a Scottish style Highland clan culture? I see just about every other type of culture, but always thought this would be an interesting input. Maybe an Oerth William Wllace type leading the clans in an attack on Iuz or the Great Kingdom, or a civil war between clans backing Iuz and those supported by Furyondy, something along those lines. Any ideas?
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:27 pm  

That's what I did with Ratik...

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:31 pm  

I have been using Ratik as a Scottish/Welsh/Celtic/Irish backdrop. I've changed allot of names from the Gazeteer to fit with the various languages/cultures. The players, who objected fiercely at first, have come to really love the "atmosphere".

Ratik, not having much interaction with the rest of the "civilized" portions of Greyhawk has made the transition much easier, than trying to use, say, Keoland.

I hope this helps...

P.S. I've also been using Celtic/Viking culture/language to give a bit more "atmosphere" to the Barbarian Kingdoms and a bit of word familiarity between Ratik and their Northern neighbors.

Until Wenta's flagon runs dry...

Last edited by Speed_Bump on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:49 pm  

Anywhere there are hills and humans, although in the case of no humanS I'm sure Gnomes and Halflings will do... but for the love of Moradin, no Scottish Dwarves, please.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:56 pm  

I always felt that the Sheldomar Valley had some celtic/irish/erish/blah influence. I am sure I read something somewhere to substantiate it, but I don't feel like remembering what it was.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:11 pm  

Yes, many folk place a lot of anglo-celtic slant into the lands of the Sheldomar Valley. For me, that's the Balkan states (Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Serbia, Albania, etc.), but, to each their own.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:10 pm  

I like the Scottish Dwarves thing actually. Of course a bunch of Dwarves in kilts "going regimetal" isn't where I was thinking of taking the campaign...
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:49 am  

The Highlands of Geoff have celtic-style Flan highlanders. Bit dangerous to live there though!
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:15 am  

The Oeridian troops on the Bone March border are called the Imperial Highlanders.

I would go with the Geoff area too; it has a strong celtic scottish/irish cultural feel. Rugged terrain, harsh weather, isolated villages and livestock. Sounds like the scotland of William Wallace to me.

Damn Giants and Humainoids; You can take our land and our lives but you can never take our Freeeedommm!!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:06 pm  

I used the Yeomanry for my Scots equivalent. They already have a very simialr government.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:39 am  

Vulcan wrote:
    I used the Yeomanry for my Scots equivalent. They already have a very simialr government.

Well except for every member of the Council of Common Grosspokesmen trying to murder each other so the King of Keoland can place them in the position of Freeholder. Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:48 am  

Like I said, a very similar govenment; and Keoland playing the part of England.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:34 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    but for the love of Moradin, no Scottish Dwarves, please.

Then from where do I get my Dwarven Demolition Squads?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:32 pm  

Kirt wrote:
    smillan_31 wrote:
    but for the love of Moradin, no Scottish Dwarves, please.

Then from where do I get my Dwarven Demolition Squads?

They never can get close enough to their targets before they get filled full of arrows what with them constantly shouting "SALT PORK!!!"
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:25 am  

My campaign is set around Irongate and the Iron Hills. The massive highlands in this area, while of course home to dwarves, has also becaome home to hardy tribes of mainly oeridian origin (mixed with some flan and rarely suel) who eek out an existence in the hills and valleys. These areas are largely untravelled and the tribes have a clanninsh structure. They are allied with the dwarves, and while they dont love lowlanders (those who live in Irongate and the lowland villages) they have allied with them from time to time.

They have a scottish feel to them and the campaign sees them at odds with the Aerdi from Ahlissa and now in Naerie.

There numbers are few but they produce very hardy warriors. Significant numbers who find the existence to sparse, join the Irongate military as hillscouts and light infantry.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:40 pm  

I remember reading about highlander-like flan living in the mountains around Geoff. I don't remember the source though.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:59 pm  

gargoyle wrote:
    That's what I did with Ratik...

-On another thread, I already said that I saw Ratik more as Lowland Scots/Borderers; close enough?

chaoticprime wrote:
    I always felt that the Sheldomar Valley had some celtic/irish/erish/blah influence. I am sure I read something somewhere to substantiate it, but I don't feel like remembering what it was.

-Geoff seems to be the obvious Welsh/British (as opposed to English) analogue, perhaps Sterich?

In Fate of Istus, the constabulary in Junre is portrayed as a cross between Victorian Bobbie and Victorina Highland Soldier; I think that part is still "canon".

"Wa sa the Forty Secun'..."
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: