JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Holy Fragarach
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Holy Fragarach
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:17 pm  
    Holy Fragarach

So I am sitting here at work on the slowest day of the year doing research for my D&D game. I have given my players a cursed sword a few months ago as well as a couple of months ago, have this really neat back story, all kinds or really horrible/neat/cool/devestating effects that the sword has that are all tied into the curse and yet after all of this time I still don't have a name for it yet. SO I was sitting here and I decided to find one. Low and behold I come across a wikipedia entry that talks about the real Fraggle Rock, er... Fragarach and I thought you guys may be intrested in it. Its not exactly breaking news that something in D&D is based off of something real but its always neat to see where it came from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragarach
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragarach_in_popular_culture
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:32 pm  

A forum search will pull up a few threads that mention Fragarach(and sometimes its origin).
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:43 am  

i dig it, manus!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:16 am  
    Holy Fragarach

The Fragarach wikipedia entry needs work. I edited some grammar, but clarification of the sword's history would be appreciated.

Otto Zequeira
    http://mdcpsprofessionals.wikispaces.com
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:49 am  

Various tidbits on the blade:

"Fragarach:

In ancient Irish legend, a sword that could pierce any armor. It was one of the magical gifts brought by Lugh from the Land of the Living. Another gift was the horse of Mananan, named Aonbarr, able to travel on land and sea.

In Irish mythology, Fragarach, known as 'The Answerer' or 'The Retaliator' was the sword of Manannan mac Lir and Lugh Lamfada. Manannan wielded it as his weapon, before passing it on to Lugh (his foster son). It was said to be a weapon that when put to their throat no one could tell a lie. Thus the name answerer. It should be noted that the name is also listed as Fragnarach, tied into the Norse end of the world, Ragnarok.

Forged by the gods, it was given to Cúchulainn by Lugh, and later to Conn of the Hundred Battles.

It was said to place the wind at the user's command."

That is about it for on-line references. Try a copy of the Mabinogion for further possible references, though I doubt that you will find much more information on Fragarach than is mentioned above. After all, the Mabinogion is about the trials and tribulations of heroes and the gods, and not so much about their weapons. Wink
    GreySage

Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:14 pm  

The publication "Dictionary of Celtic Mythology" by Peter Berresford Ellis (Oxford) also renders the spelling as:

Freagarthach

And states that it was the sword of the sea god Manannan Mac Lir, who ruled from Emain Ablach in Tir Tairnigiri.

It says nothing of Lugh's connection with the sword, however. Sad

It does say that Lugh is a solar deity and is cognate with Lugus of Gaul and Lleu of Wales. His name remains with us as Lugh-chromain -- Leprechaun. Cool

Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:50 pm  

You know how theres a listing for the Dragons of Oerth, the Giants of Oerth and the Undead of Oerth, is there a similar type list for famous Swords or Weapons in general?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:44 pm  

There is no such similar listing, but it's certainly worth doing. There are actually many lists of Greyhawk things that I and others have brought up as possibly being added to that section of the site. The lists really are very simple, but the problem usually lies in finding somebody willing to compile most of the information in a form that is neat, and therefor easy to post. The Undead of Oerth format would work really well for weapons I think:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=16

Duicarthan put together this update of Greyhawk magic items, and it would be a good place to start compiling such a list:

http://www.oerthjournal.com/oerthjournals/WOG-MIC.pdf

We are always looking for volunteers to help with things.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:43 am  

I would like to do it. I'll have to wait until after the first of the new year because I need a new computer and I want to be able to write it off on next years taxes. Is there any special software or coding I have to use?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:50 am  

It would be sweet if this material - not just the WoG weapons of repute, but also the undead list that Cebrion links to - became integrated into the awesomely groovy and helpful Canonfire GH Wiki.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:02 am  

Possibly, although from the sheer numbers of weapons that have been detailed in Dragon Magazine alone over the last three decades the task will be huge. I think that the best way to handle this particular task would be to set up an initial list and just go through modules and source books available at hand and then publish an initial list while sifting through all of the other sideline material.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:39 pm  

Well, this would be just a list of Greyhawk specific weapons, so just confine it to that and it shouldn't be too brutal(a few hundred or so I imagine).
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:49 pm  

Oh Pholtus, what have I involved myself with?

Shocked

LoL
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:43 pm  

Another good source will be the Encyclopedia Greyhawkia. Just a do a search for (Sword) and you should come up with a comprehensive list.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:10 pm  

The important part is that it be set up in chart form using WORD, similar to the undead list, but preferably in this order:

Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:14 pm  

Ok, Word, not Excell?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:44 pm  

Ok, one more question here. Is this a list that needs to be complied, completed and then submitted or would I be able to make periodic updates?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:29 am  

Use WORD, and we can add to it when necessary.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: