Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Rob Kuntz and Different Worlds at GenCon!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Rob Kuntz and Different Worlds at GenCon!
    CF Admin

Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:33 pm  
    Rob Kuntz and Different Worlds at GenCon!

Different Worlds Publications returns to publishing with three new d20 books at GenCon Indy 2004!

Founded by industry veteran Tadashi Ehara in 1987, Different Worlds Publications publishes d20 sourcebooks, adventures, and campaign settings. Different Worlds will debut three printed d20 titles at GenCon:

• Robert J. Kuntz's The Eight Kings is the fourth installment in the Maze of Zayene series; this adventure pits characters against Zayene himself, within his demi-plane laboratory and lair. The Eight Kings concludes the Maze of Zayene modules (the first three titles were published by Necromancer Games) and may also be played as a stand-alone scenario. Mr. Kuntz, best-known for his development efforts in helping to create the original Dungeons & Dragons and Greyhawk product lines for TSR, will be available for signings on Friday and Saturday.
    • Valus by Ryan Smalley, is a d20 regional campaign sourcebook. It focuses on the geography, history, and cultures of a 600-mile-long island that can serve as the core setting for a campaign; Valus can also be easily inserted into an ongoing campaign. Mr. Smalley is a newcomer to d20 publishing, but he is well-known for his ENWorld Story Hour “Sins of Our Fathers” (a fictional account of his home campaign sessions).
    • Mr. Smalley’s The Return of Ippizicus Child-Eater will be available in a Special limited edition available only at GenCon Indy 2004 (the general edition will be available in September). The Return of Ippizicus Child-Eater is an adventure set within the Valus, in which the heroes must race the clock to prevent the return of an infamous demon to the world. Mr. Smalley will be available throughout GenCon for signings.

In addition to d20 books, Different Worlds will be selling back issues of Different Worlds magazine; Different Worlds t-shirts that feature the Valus sourcebook's cover cartography by Chuck McCann will also be available for purchase, as will 11”x17” promotional copies of the Valus island map.
    Different Worlds Publications is in booth number 2025 at GenCon Indy, one aisle west from the autograph area.

The Different Worlds Publications web site is http://www.diffworlds.com/. For questions, contact info@diffworlds.com. For distributor or retail sales terms, contact sales@diffworlds.com.

Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:37 am  
    Re: Rob Kuntz and Different Worlds at GenCon!

grodog wrote:
    Mr. Smalley is a newcomer to d20 publishing, but he is well-known for his ENWorld Story Hour “Sins of Our Fathers” (a fictional account of his home campaign sessions).

If I am going to read about someone's homegame, I want to know what actually happened, not a fictional account. A fictional account? This is what we would have liked to have happened in the adventure, but it didn't? Wink

I normally don't pick on grammar in people's posts, and I hope people don't go after mine. But I presume someone was paid to write that announcement. That makes it a traget for my mockery.

What they should say is Smalley is well-known for his Sins of Our Fathers, an account of his fictional home campaign sessions. Put correctly, it is clear that the fictional is already implied, and should really be left out entirely.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:19 am  

'Fiction' is often used in RPG contexts to mean 'prose fiction narratives' as opposed to (fictional) source material. It may be a sloppy useage, but it's no error.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:00 am  
    Re: Rob Kuntz and Different Worlds at GenCon!

grodog wrote:
    Different Worlds Publications returns to publishing with three new d20 books at GenCon Indy 2004!

Founded by industry veteran Tadashi Ehara in 1987, Different Worlds Publications publishes d20 sourcebooks, adventures, and campaign settings.

As I've said elsewhere, it's great to see Tadashi back in the industry. DW magazine was an excellent resource in its day, and I would love to see them bring it back as a sort of 'all systems' alternative to Dragon, Games Unplugged and the other D20 exclusive magazines.

Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:04 pm  

Faraer wrote:
    'Fiction' is often used in RPG contexts to mean 'prose fiction narratives' as opposed to (fictional) source material. It may be a sloppy useage, but it's no error.

I did not know that, but I could believe it. Like the distinction between fiction and non-fiction. However, even granting your point, it should
    then say "a fiction account of his home campaign sessions", and not,
    as it does, "a fictional account of his home campaign sessions)". A fictional work is not the same as a work of fiction.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.&nbsp; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    CF Admin

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:10 pm  

Nit noted, Kirt. Thanks, I'll be more precise in the future. FYI I wasn't paid to write it, either :D
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: