JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - I miss Dragon Mgazine
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition
    I miss Dragon Mgazine
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:54 pm  
    I miss Dragon Mgazine

Yes, I purposely mispelled the title so it would catch peoples eye. Wink I'm on a holy terror right now, so forgive me. I miss Dragon magazine art. Okay, the later years seemed far too influenced by anime...When I was a dumbass boy, I remember going to Waldenbooks and picking up Dragon Magazine. The cover was...simple and incredible. I couldn't tell you about the content, but no matter. The cover was a stone face, with a woman on top, backlit by a moon. Now in and of itself, it was no big deal. But the art gave such an overwhelming feel of what WoG was about. Who was this woman? Where was she? What ancient city did this ruined face belong to? What time of year was it? What kingdom was this in? There was so many unanswered questions.... Where is the mystery now? Where is the fantasy? Where is that magic? Ahhhhh, I do so miss Dragon Magazine and Dungeon too....
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:34 am  

i agree...we even get dragon magazine here in brazil, translated. the work was a little poor, with some "new" (silly) material made here, but still, remembers me of the good times.

if you can remember the year, of the one you are talking about, we could try to find here:
    http://paizo.com/store/magazines/dragon/issues
    CF Admin

Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:47 am  

If you miss the old-school flavor of Dragon's articles, you may want to check out Fight On!, an OD&D fanzine @ http://www.fightonmagazine.com/

FO!'s art is not up to Dragon's snuff, but I find the content worthwhile and inspiring.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:39 am  

That was DRAGON® #114, in case you're wondering. (I printed out that artwork to use as the cover of one of my 3-ring binders.)
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:55 pm  

Yep, that's issue #114. That issue has "The Witch" by Bill Mulhaussen in it(among other things). TSR caught a lot of crap for that cover too. Laughing And *Waldenbooks*- they used to be all over the place in S. Califorrnia. Many a fantasy book I bought from them, most notably for me those early versions of the Elric series that had silver covers with runes all over them. Probably one of the best cover treatements for a series of fantasy books ever. Ah, the nostalgia of the early and mid 1980's.

I do miss being able to walk into a hobby shop, game store, or book store and be able to peruse an issue of Dragon magazine too.

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:40 am  
    Ah, the memories...

I rememer the first Dragon I bought, and it was because of the cool cover art. It was of a ranger fighting a frost giant skeleton. Poor ranger was down to her last arrow and it wasn't looking good for the good guys.

Turns out that it was one of my favorite issues of all time. It was Issue #126, and it was full of great and useable articles. It really got me started on being a DM. In my humble opinion, the glory days of Dragon Magazine were the issues in the 120's to about the 140's. Most of my favorite articles came from this time period, the art was cool, and it also was (IMO) the high point of Greyhawk and D&D in general.

I haven't bought a Dragon Mag in years. Mostly because I never got off 2nd edition rules, but I haven't liked the newer formats.

O-D
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:18 pm  
    Interesting...

Hi all,

I thought Kim Mohan's time as editor was near-universally recognized as Dragon's golden age. My first Dragon was #72. From there through #111, the magazine was almost pure gold, In My Opinion. I suppose, though, that many people are drawn to the "newness" of the magazine -- new as it appeared to them when they first discovered it -- and dislike the magazine at any other time it looked different.

~Scott "-enkainen" Casper
    CF Admin

Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:47 pm  

Another old-school magazine is about to launch: Knockspell, for the various clone systems: http://swordsandwizardry.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

I'll have a Greyhawk-relevant article in the first issue :D

Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:22 pm  

Actually, out of everything that has been written for D&D, I find nothing better for reading than the 1e articles that were written in Dragon magazine.

Hopefully, the people at WotC will have the sense to reprint all of them, perhaps integrated with all of the content from the 11 First Edition books.
    (This would mean a set of 22 hardback books)

Reading is a pleasure in and of itself.

I would rather read this than the Lord of the Rings (and that's saying something: I loved the Lord of the Rings ... it is the ultimate in fantasy. Hmm.)

prespos
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:56 am  

There was a lot of interesting and inspiring material in the Dragon but there was also a lot of useless articles and a lot repetition of the popular subjects. I would love a massive best of series but this will never happen with the current management.

I'm just very grateful for the great Dragon CD archives.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:15 pm  

There is a CD that TSR sold that had all of the dragon magazines cover to cover on it. I have it somewhere. A buddy of mine says if you can find it it goes for $80-$100. I love that magazine. I might try and find that CD and do some nostalgia reading myself.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:57 pm  

I have that, and, for me, it has been one of the best values I have gotten from a TSR product. Hopefully, one day, I will get around to translating those articles to html, so that they can be updated, in a 1e sense.
    For example, the initiative (Attack Priority) article in D70 ... that includes the monsters from the MM. It wouldn't be too hard to set up a table, and slowly fill in the details for the FF & MM2 creatures. Something that would probably be best done through a wiki site, in conjunction with dragonsfoot.org (another awesome site, that I am sure most here are aware of!)

Happy Trails,

John
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: