ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Safeton city map work in progress
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Safeton city map work in progress
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:02 pm  
    Safeton city map work in progress

Hey guys -

I've been working on a map of Safeton, the city along the Wild Coast, and I've started a work-in-progress thread at the Cartographer's Guild at

http://forum.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=54358#post54358

I began the project by making a "literature search" for lack of a better phrase, to assemble whatever published info I could find about the city.

There have been a couple of sketch maps published over the years - one that I found in FtA, and another published in the late 90s - that I've used to determine the scale and overall layout, but not a whole lot that I've uncovered that describes the features of the city.

The most detailed info that I've come across has been the RPGA "Mysterious Places" article at wizards.com, and I've been using it as a reference to fleshing out the city's districts.

I'm going to depict the city in its "post-wars on the Pomarj frontier" state of affairs, although one of the neat things about digital art is that it would be fairly easy to also produce a version of the city that resembled its pre-war appearance.

I'd love to read feedback about what you think the city might need; please feel free to reply here or via email at nematodegt@gmail.com

Thanks!

nematode
    Master Greytalker

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:31 am  

I tried to amalgamate all the available info on Safeton from FtA, the Slave Lords mods, Slavers, and the Mysterious Places article. If you have access to those you probably have all the official information there is. There might be a few LG mods that have additional location details, although I think safeton might have been overrun at one stage as part of that capmaign. I haven't reviewed any of that stuff yet.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:32 am  

Ohh yeah - don't forget Windy Crag - the demesne of Dame Gold from the Slave Lords mods. I always assumed it was just outside the city overlooking a cliff.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:25 am  

I don't have anything from that era of LG. but thank you for the heads up about LG mods. I hadn't considered the possibility that they mighta done a core LG mod set there, but I shoulda, why else would they have gone to the trouble to do a mysterious places Smile

And I sure did forget about Windy Grag. I went thru the original A1 - A4, and the 1990s Slavers but I had forgotten entirely about the supermodule. I'm guessing that's where the feast of Edoira and the "notorious Szek of Safeton" came from that are mentioned in later products like TAB.

Thanks very much Paul!

nematode
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:08 am  

I always liked Burly Katrina. I saw her as a hard-drinking, muscle-bound Joan Rivers.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: