JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Monsters As Characters
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Monsters As Characters
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:09 pm  
    Monsters As Characters

I've compiled a list of playable monsters and listed their ECL, LA and HD.

It all comes from the SRD (actually one monster comes from OGC that WotC used), so even though it isn't specifically Greyhawk, I hope that most of them will be useful in a 3.5 edition Greyhawk game.

It is called Monsters As Characters.

I'm still tweaking it. As of today, I'm on version v0.1.13.

Hopefully, I'll finish tweaking it before 4th edition comes out! Smile
    David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:37 am  

I've been playing a Gnoll Ranger on and off in a FR game and he is by far one of the most interesting characters I have ever played. Especially from the standpoint of dealing with the inherent distrust that most people (understandably) have of him in the game. I recommend playing one of the humanoid or a monstrous race sometime in you gaming career.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:01 pm  

vonbek wrote:
    I recommend playing one of the humanoid or a monstrous race sometime in you gaming career.

I certainly intend to play a humanoid character myself. Your experience sounds like the sort of thing that I'd like to go for.

I'm not sure what monster races would be most appropriate to Greyhawk.

(I find it so frustrating that 3rd edition didn't have a proper Greyhawk Campaign Setting hardback, like FR an DL did.)
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:29 am  

There's a 2E article by Roger Moore in Dragon 241 which offered some humanoids as PCs:

Dragon #241, p.38
    Legacies of the Suel Imperium, by Roger E. Moore
    Five Suel-spawned races for your Greyhawk campaign: derro, jermalaine, skulks, lerara, and suel dopplegangers.

Those would certainly make for interesting characters. The Suel did engineer even more races, see The Scarlet Brotherhood.

You could also play the more standard humanoids: orcs, goblins, gnolls or ogres, half-ogres and bugbears from the Pomarj or the Bone March, hobgoblins from the Great Kingdom, (Half-)Giants from the Snow Barbarian lands or from Geoff/Sterich, Ogre Magi from the Far West. The lands of Iuz have lots of humanoids naturally.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:08 am  

Thanael wrote:
    There's a 2E article by Roger Moore in Dragon 241 which offered some humanoids as PCs:

Dragon #241, p.38
    Legacies of the Suel Imperium, by Roger E. Moore
    Five Suel-spawned races for your Greyhawk campaign: derro, jermalaine, skulks, lerara, and suel dopplegangers.

Derro have been done and are in the SRD, but I've not seen the other races. Has anyone ever done a conversion of them?
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:44 am  

Skulks can be found in the 3e Fiend Folio. I've seen all the others somewhere, but my memory fails me. I think at least the jermlaine is in a 3rd party source.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:10 am  

We've had a few bugbears and a kobold in our campaign at one time or another. It was always interesting.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:29 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    We've had a few bugbears and a kobold in our campaign at one time or another. It was always interesting.

I would (eventually) like to see a netbook that takes the Monsters as Characters concept one step further and makes it into a (campaign setting specific) PHB expansion for monsters.

With WotC doing their "core = GH" thing, that is probably going to be easier than doing the same sort of thing for Dragonlance, Dark Sun or some other "non-standard" setting. Because I presume that the "out of the box" monster is supposed to be a Greyhawk version.

But it would be nice to add on the same level of detail that you get for elves, dwarves and other "mainstream" races. Information about where on Oerth various monsters live, what names they might have, and what other GH gods they might worship are the sort of things I'd like to see listed in PDF.

I've also heard that Greyhawk actually has some variant names for the core monsters, so it would be nice to see a "Greyhawk Monsters as Characters" PDF that could get people to roleplay the generic monsters under the "correct" name and give them a character background that ties in to various GH elements.

(I wouldn't put down anyone who didn't want to go to this "nerdy level of roleplaying", but I personally find it helps to have a list of possible hooks that I can build into my PCs. And sadly, most monster descriptions don't give me much to build a well rounded character onto.)
    David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: