Username Password
  or Create an Account
Welcome to... Canonfire! World of GreyhawK
Features
Greyhawk Wiki

#greytalk-discord
    JOIN THE CHAT
    Canonfire :: View topic - The "official" 2008-2009 Greyhawk Webcomic thread!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The "official" 2008-2009 Greyhawk Webcomic thread! [ Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next]
    Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:15 pm  

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip221a.htm

Can you say agathocacological?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:00 am  

I think Fraz-Urb'luu just had a little gas. Well, little by demon prince standards.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:26 pm  

Just for fun, I did a calculation of the potential damage. It came to a whopping 71448 points of damage -- assuming all the damage was d6.

Who let Waldorf back in? Laughing
    Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:30 pm  

Wow! I think I saw a Barbarian-Frenzied Berserker in 3.5E do that much damage once. Wink At least with this explosion someone with Evasion could dodge it. That kind of damage is enough to kill your next 700 characters! Yeash.
    Forum Moderator

Thu May 07, 2009 1:15 pm  

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip222a.htm

*Whistles*
    Forum Moderator

Wed May 13, 2009 10:37 pm  

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip223a.htm

Well worth the effort.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 14, 2009 6:09 pm  

mortellan, in his comic, wrote:
    Also, bonus kudo points go to anyone who can spot which D&D cover Slerotin is an homage to.

Looks like the wizard from the second (?) version of the AD&D Player's Handbook to me, although I have no clue what that character's name is...
    Kwint
    Forum Moderator

Thu May 14, 2009 6:59 pm  

Kudo points for kwint!

That illo was by Easley IIRC. And yeah I don't think he has a
    name, but that was the most epic mage I could find at the time so now it's
    Slerotin!
    Site Theocrat

Tue May 19, 2009 10:15 am  
    Late to the Reading

Hi all -
    Being a long issue and one that revolved around a talking dog, I wasn't interested. That is until I saw Serlotin.
    My guess as to who Serlotin is drawn to look like - well, I'm not sure about the whole AD&D 2e PHB, because there is another guy that comes well before that. Lets call him...Ringlerun ( http://www.toyarchive.com/Dungeons&Dragons/Figures/ActionFigures.html ) the Good Wizard.

EDIT:(Here is a picture of Ringlerun as a 2.5" miniature - with a longer beard that is more in keeping with the drawing of Serlotin - http://www.toyarchive.com/Dungeons&Dragons/Minitures/MiniFigures.html )

This was 1982-1984. I remember having a few of these - and for good measure when I had a job and could afford to "re-collect" I bought some of them. I have a few of these that are listed on that page - as well as never hearing of many of the (like Bowmerc).
    Thus, I have to say that maybe even Mort was wrong. Damn, and Rasgon isn't around to see me actually post a really good and maybe even a worthy post.
    Be Well. Be Well Wizarded.
    Theocrat Issak

Wed May 20, 2009 9:17 pm  

Ringlerun! Yup that is him alright, can't deny it. I think Ringlerun Slerotin
    was his full name. Or was it Slerotin Ringlerun? ;)

Now looking at those
    mini figs. I had Strongheart, Warduke and Kellek. If only I had got the Good
    Wizard I would've known!
    Master Greytalker

Thu May 21, 2009 9:14 am  

Wow, despite growing up in the 80's I had never seen these figures.
    Melf! Prince Melf Brightflame is an action figure! LOL.

His shield must be from the hippogriff riders who serve the Queen.

http://www.toyarchive.com/Dungeons&Dragons/Figures/PeralayMelf.html
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 21, 2009 9:55 am  

Kirt wrote:
    Melf! Prince Melf Brightflame is an action figure! LOL.
    http://www.toyarchive.com/Dungeons&Dragons/Figures/PeralayMelf.html

After following that link, I learned something valuable about Prince Brightflame...From now on, whenever Melf makes an appearance in my campaign, he'll be riding a giant giraffe Laughing ...Thanks, Kirt...
    GreySage

Thu May 21, 2009 12:40 pm  

Kirt wrote:
    His shield must be from the hippogriff riders who serve the Queen.

It seems likely that that was Gary Gygax's original intention (or it could be a griffin), but according to The Shady Dragon Inn, it comes from the "hunting hawk symbol of his clan."
    Site Theocrat

Thu May 21, 2009 2:59 pm  
    WoG is for Gods

Mort -
    After re-reading and going over the whole Serlotin comic, I'm actually dismayed. Serlotin Ringlerun isn't a god. Yes, in the OJ there have been a few heroes, and you have the id10t twins (wouldn't call them anything but wonder_ful to their faces, however) show up all the time, but WoG is about the GODS. The Gods of the WoG 1.0. Rationalization here: The id10t twins are "representatives' of a god (so they count).
    So unless you're making another comic strip dedicated to the heroes of WoG1.0, then lets keep WoG about the Gods of WoG 1.0 and 2.0 (for those are some funny scenes, and I've told you I have a story about 1.0 to 2.0 and I'm PMing it to you now).
    Be Well. Be Well Represented.
    Theocrat Issak

Thu May 21, 2009 6:31 pm  

I've been pushing the boundaries of my gods only premise for a long time. Even longer than the cultists though they are the best. Anyhow, Slerotin is presently dead so he is now in the afterlife and is thus immortal. Tada!

Oh yes, speaking of WoG2.0....

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip224a.htm
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri May 22, 2009 7:33 am  

At first blush, drunken LARPing with three hawties sounds really good, but on second thaught:

1.“Your sword is too small.”
    2.“Get off the floor.
    3.“You look like you have just been violated by a family of ogres.”

Its enough to make you drop your mead goggles.

Thu May 28, 2009 5:38 pm  

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip225a.htm

Heeeeere's Graz'zt!
    Master Greytalker

Fri May 29, 2009 5:04 pm  

Great comic Mort Smile

Graz'zt should have ripped out the lungs of jay leno several seasons back. Wink

As for the content, glad I am not going to play the latest edition. Tell me where the hatred for the GH deities we know and love comes from...anyone....and the name raven queen...ugh. At least Nerull sounds mysterious and threatening . So many holes in the exerpt it boogles the mind. I leave it to another to spend the time to list them because I am too nauseated. Sad
    Forum Moderator

Fri May 29, 2009 9:00 pm  

I'm with ya Crag, except I find it humorous rather than stomach churning. We can only hope that if GH 4E adopts the same approach they at least let us replace Nerull with homegrown Wee Jas.

On a side note I find the whole 'creation' of the Raven Queen boggling. They obviously kept several GH Core gods including Vecna of all things, but then demoted a bunch of the actual playable GH deities, one of which was Wee Jas. WJ had her own write up in Dragon for goodness sake. My only guess as to why they let WJ go is she became too overblown in portfolio and they opted for a (note) simpler female death goddess. That is fine I guess, but in the process they now have a Goddess of Death and...Fate? Ut oh, watch yer back Istus!
    Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:10 pm  

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip226a.htm

More Raven Queen antics.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:16 am  

the RQ costume is actually a warhammer fantasy dark elf sorceress.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:34 am  

Crag wrote:

As for the content, glad I am not going to play the latest edition.

Thats too bad really, 4e is a great system for GH campaigns.

Crag wrote:
    Tell me where the hatred for the GH deities we know and love comes from...anyone....and the name raven queen...ugh.

She is called the raven queen because the raven is her representative animal. Her name is hidden so that orcus can not use its power to over throw her. she is a conglomeration of Wee Jas and the irish goddess Morrigan

Morrigan, sometimes known as Morrigu, was an Irish goddess of death on the battlefield who helped the Tuatha De Danann at both battles of Magh Tuireadh. She was associated with the other war deities Macha, Badb and Nemain. Morrigan appeared sometimes as a warrior in a battle, siding with her favourites. Most often she soared overhead as a raven or a crow, shrieking and flapping her wings to scare the host, or to signify imminent death.

She settled on the shoulder of the Ulster hero Cuchulainn when he was finally killed in the war against Queen Medb's forces. Cuchulainn had not only refused Morrigan's love, but in anger had even wounded her. For such a deed his fate was sealed.

Hell hath no fury like a war goddess scorned! I think Morrigan is a fascinating figure in Celtic mythology.

Crag wrote:
    At least Nerull sounds mysterious and threatening . So many holes in the exerpt it boogles the mind. I leave it to another to spend the time to list them because I am too nauseated. Sad

The raven queen is a much better thought out and implemented diety and has a much greater appeal for use in any campaign. IMO[/img][/b]
    Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:00 pm  

Thanks for the spot check cennedi! Now that you mention it she does make a good warhammer dark elf, except I didn't pick up on any elf ears that might've helped. Huh. I guess that means this'll never be the RQ's canon image, ah well. This worked for a one-shot I guess.

As for the morrigan-wee jas combo, that I like.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:42 pm  

I am baffled is all Confused

A knock on GH is the number of deities; which is justified as oerth became the test for ideas. However the deities chosen for culling seem to be the "iconic" ones to be replaced with "WoW" versions.

We have no animosity toward GH but rather then cull the fringe deities we will kill the core iconic ones. Perhaps it is me but a subconscious sense of pettiness seems to be at work.
    Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:16 pm  

Yeah Crag, I dunno. There does seem to be a sense that the policy with Wizard's current staff is to reimagine -everything- as its easier to do than adapting material that has the weight of decades behind it. It isn't just them though, it's all the rage in TV, Hollywood, comics....any place where fantasy meets a younger generation of writers and consumers. Ah well...
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next]
    Page 9 of 15

Jump to: