ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sunndi
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Sunndi
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:00 pm  
    Sunndi

Hey everyone,
    Does anyone know of any articles on CF and/or OJ on Sunndi or Dullstrand?

I've checked the Greyhawk wiki and the WotC archives and no luck.

I'm thinking of running an old ADD2 box set 'The Night Below' and I thought that Sunndi was an interesting choice for the starting area.

Thanks all!

Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:35 pm  

On the left of the screen there's a "Search CF" feature. It produced over twenty articles that mention "Sunndi," but I can't tell you just how much detail each article might go into. You'd have to check that out for yourself. Wink

A bit pains-taking, I know. Evil Grin

Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:48 am  

I checked through the top 10 articles, Mystic, and am only finding passing references to Sunndi as opposed to main subject articles.

A search of the WotC RPGA Archive got me a couple of maps, but nothing much more detailed than Living Greyhawk Gazetteer unfortuneately. Any idea as to whether or not they'd release any of the RPGA background stuff the Sunndi triad did for private use?

Thanks for checking.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:55 am  

There is a little bit of information about the nation largely from an Oerth Journal article I think. There might be a couple of LG mods set there too.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:26 am  

I am playing a character from Sunndi and I did some research just recently to write his history. The most useful link I found is here:
    http://www.gryphonhill.com/greyhawk/sunndi/maps.html
    Where you get an idea on the counties that make up the kingdom.
    The most remarkable events I think are the bullywug/boggard invasions from the swamp south, the scarlet brotherhood presence in the north-west and osson's battle of rieuwood just close to the capital city. I made up the whole story out of those events.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:23 am  

I thought I'd read an OJ article somewhere... turned out it was in Journal 1. Its a 1995 article from QSamantha. It doesn't completely jive with later materials, but its a start. Anything is grist for the mill, after all.

MT, you found the same site I did. While they have maps and some very minimal information, there isn't much in the way of additional stuff (noble houses, politics, trade info, etc) and that is what I'm mainly looking for. I get the feeling that Sunndi Triad (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg) didn't really do much during the LG's run. I could be wrong, of course.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:48 am  

Goggle is usually your friend Wink:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&fkt=1967&fsdt=6031&q=Dullstrand+Greyhawk&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=25d2df88517031cf

Not a bad number of hits. Cool

Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:45 am  

You might also want to check out Maldin's Greyhawk website here: http://melkot.com/. I don't remember if he deals much with Sunndi specifically, but I know he has information regarding several other things in that area. My personal favorite, of course, is the hobloggers and their beloved deity Scratxivort. Wink
    Master Greytalker

Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:02 am  

PM me with an E-mail address, Ottarrus. I've been running a campaign in Sunndi for the past five years, and I have most of the now-defunct www.sunndi.org LG site archived.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:16 am  

Well I always love to read any number of articles, but once I corss the canon boundary, I prefer to deal myself with creating noble houses, caravan routes etc.
    Of course I am a canon lawyer myself so what's canon HAS to be there, but anything else is just optional. That's why I got content with just that little help given by the Sunndi map!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:18 am  

Talking about noble houses, my caracter belongs to House Ragrax. Actually he is a RAX but his grand-grandfather managed to change the House name years before Ivid's cleansing of all Rax houses, by burning down the old manor and hiring thieves to erase and burn every referral of House Rax.
    Maybe it gives some hints...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:55 am  

Pratt.. THANKS!!!! Lots of great crunchy bits there, and I appreciate it.

MT, yeah I do alot of that too... after all, no canon survives contact with the GM... Laughing Since the players in 'Night Below' will be descending into Beory's Bosom fairly early in the campaign (around lvl 6 or so), it wasn't nessarily the nobles I was too concerned with.

One thing that I like to do with campaigns is keep the environment evolving. Character actions have consequences and I like to have those play out. As well, I like to have changes occur that have nothing to do with Our Band Of Heroes, just to give the players a sense that the Oerth doesn't really revolve around them. To do that I needed some sense of the nation of Sunndi beyond the LGG narrative. Trade patterns, local power groups, the effects of various class associations (thieves/wizard guilds etc) and so on are all grist for this mill. Because of the work with all that, getting as much background from other sources allows me to plot the stuff that I'll be springing on the players.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:06 am  

bubbagump wrote:
    You might also want to check out Maldin's Greyhawk website here: http://melkot.com/. I don't remember if he deals much with Sunndi specifically, but I know he has information regarding several other things in that area. My personal favorite, of course, is the hobloggers and their beloved deity Scratxivort. Wink

Ok, the hobloggers are a scream... right up there with xvart mimes... nevermind. I got to lay off the Old Suel Stout before bedtime.. Shocked
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: