JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Short Stories
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Short Stories
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:04 pm  
    Short Stories

I was thinking about writing some short stories of a pulp nature for submission to Canonfire. I consider myself a competent writer, but when it comes to characters I find that I am more than capable of making up my own, but I do better when using one created by another person.

I want to use characters from people's campaigns. Basically if you have a good idea for a character post it here and I may use it/compound upon it.

I will very likely use the same main character/characters over several stories, though their chronology will likely be out of the order I release them in. I never like to start with level one when writing, though I may go back and write them a story at that time in their lives.

So, there we are, help me out.

Needless to say these are not intended to publish, they will be for Canonfire only.
    Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:37 pm  

CP, I am behind you on this project. I've long been wanting to see more fiction done about Greyhawk by Greyhawk fans. I know a few people who have done this over the years but not many that have submitted them for CF specifically. To that end I have been dabbling with some fiction myself and would encourage anyone to do the same or help chaoticprime with his great idea of a short story serial. I'll be digging in my files for any interesting characters to loan you.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:39 am  

i would love to help , but i think my characters are a little lame
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:40 am  

Well, the idea is that I have my own character and in each story he will adventure with characters submitted by other people. I think that would be cool. I am already hard at work on my first tale, too.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:27 am  

CP - Neat idea. I have a NPC which has floated around my campaigns for years, though he has rarely been central. But for some reason everyone loved the name and the basic outline, so he comes up again and again.

Mazun Vetwor Glim, a is gnome from the Stark Mounds. Intelligent and wise, he has wandered around the Sheldomar since the coming of the Giants. He dabbles in magic, mainly illusion. To many he often has a priestly air, and will render aid to nearly anyone in need. At the coming of the Giants he adopted an orphaned human child who has now grown to adulthood. This child is sometimes seen with him, but is most recently thought to have joined the Watch. Mazun is not a crusader, but he would like his family home back.

If Mazun is of interest, please feel free to use him. Good luck with this, it really sounds fun.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:23 pm  

Sounds good, sir.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:29 am  

I would die to see some short stories about official published Greyhawk characters, especially obscure stat-only ones from early EGG advetures. Or maybe some extra fiction about movers and shakers of Greyhawk, like duke Karl or Bellissica, or King Scotti.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:34 pm  

Could you maybe tell us a bit more about what sorts of stories you're hoping to tell? A little about the character you've already created? What sorts of characters you might be looking for as adventuring companions? (Anything from "a rogue with a heart of gold" to "a monk or something" to "a character who thinks with his/her heart, to be a foil for my guy, who is sometimes a bit too coldly rational")

Much encouragement and support and cheering in the streets for attempts to create GH fiction.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of stories/ideas/characters would other folks like to read about?
    Master Greytalker

Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:57 pm  
    Short stories, ala Gord

MToscan wrote:
    I would die to see some short stories about official published Greyhawk characters, especially obscure stat-only ones from early EGG advetures. Or maybe some extra fiction about movers and shakers of Greyhawk, like duke Karl or Bellissica, or King Scotti.

There's a good idea!
    Choatic Prime - this is an interesting idea for your stories! Not only could you include stuff from our own characters, and the main one that is yours, but you could put in stuff about famous people from various realms around the Flanaess. It would make it have a feeling like the original Gord novels by Gygax. I for one entirely agree with MToscan - this would add great flavor to your stories to involve people not only of our own invention, but that are canon, as well!

Just my two zeni.

Who knows, this might just get me to tell a story or two about a particular Elven Bladesinger that was haunted by the ghost of someone who'd been killed in a duel with one of forebearers, centuries before.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:00 pm  

Alright, this is what I had in mind for my pulp Greyhawk hero.

Henabold Cutter, Man of the Yeomanry: From the Yeomanry originally, Henabold, or Bold as he prefers to be called, left to seek his fortune in the wide world away from home. He is for the largest part an outspoken cur of a human being who follows his own set of rules rather than even take the time to learn the law. He is just over six-feet tall and weighs the better part of two-hundred and fifty pounds. He is not of exceptional physique sporting a flabby belly, though his arms are massive and powerful. He is not sure of his own age, but it is most probably in the early twenties. He dislikes the use of heavier armor as he sees it as cowardly and usually will fight with whatever weapon he can bring to hand but tends to favor two-handed blades which he will often swing recklessly with one hand. He also tends to use his off hand to strike or strangle opponents.

Bold is a pretty damnable bastard, but as he ages in the stories he will sort of pick up this loose order of chivalric honor. He is chaotic good to the core.

I have already begun work on the first story, The False Lions, set in the city of Gradsul.[/u]
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: