Canonfire :: View topic - Perryville?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Perryville?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:52 pm  
    Perryville?

Hello,

Thanks everyone for the site.

I'm in a loose adventure set loosely in Greyhawk. My character is a gnome (I know very little presence in Gh) who came from the vicinity of Perryville (South West of Greyhawk City on the River Road.).

As much as this is a loose adventure I love building from Greyhawk history and I'd like to know more about Perryville. I can't find anything.

Can anyone point to anything about it and or gnomes in Gh? It doesn't have to be core or canon but it has to reflect the surrounding lands.

Any help appreciated.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:49 pm  

I'm thinking your DM added a village or named one of the farmsteads clusters or estates on the CoG area map. The only named communities on the River Road are One Ford, Peculiar Manor, Two Ford, and Ford Keep. According to From the Ashes there are some gnomes living in Two Ford, though the majority of the gnomes in GH's Domain reside in the Cairn Hills, their main population center being Grossettgrottell.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:24 am  

I will look through "From the Ashes" if I can get a look at it.

Looks like I'm free to build a gnomish city. These gnomes are, perhaps uncharacteristically, brewers and alchemists. The river NW of Perryville just became a spring and the waters extra pure :).

Thanks for the reference. Any more appreciated.

Sigurd
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:50 pm  
    RE:Perryville?

Oddly enough, Perryville is the name of my hometown. I wonder if your DM is from Missouri?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:30 pm  

That Perryville I can find reference to. Nothing against your home town but it aint what I want. :)

Sigurd
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:20 am  

Theirs some info on the gnomes of Kron Hills in the GH book " the adventure begins". It's not much but it's a start.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:06 am  

The 2e complete book of gnomes and halflings is interesting. It details one typical gnomish settlement and has many details about their culture and society. Check it out here: http://www.coryj.net/CoreRule/
    GreySage

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:30 am  

There's a Perryville on Anna's map. I wonder where she got it?

Gnomes are fairly prominent in Greyhawk. They have two independent nations, the Flinty Hills and the Kron Hills. I think they're more important to the setting than halflings are.

Wiki article: http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gnome
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:36 pm  

We're working from Ana's Map. I've read most of the gnome stuff that is not Greyhawk specific.

If you look on Anna's Map there is an unnamed tributary to the Selintan. I have named the river 'Gnarley Wash' and placed the town of 'Gnomes Bend' there. It is a fey friendly town close to Greyhawk City. It has collected forest gnomes unhappy to work in the various mines, some halflings, a few elves and forest folk who have business with either Hardby or Greyhawk City.
    It contributes to the policing of the river and pays taxes to Grehawk. Many of the gnomes are brewers, apothecaries, or sages that choose to work outside of Greyhawk City.

Mostly built up gnomish homes into the side of the river with herbs and grapes growing above.
    There's a Hardby focused mineral and gems office. They are trying to sell more efficiently to Maravan and Dyvers.
    An inn specializing in non humans who can't stomach the city.
    A few quiet rooms for diplomacy and discrete communications.
    A Gnomish\Halfling Salvage company
    A variant rogue (Pathfinder) dedicated to river security\smuggling
    A Private library for sages

The chief day to day tension is competition with the town of Perryville. (Gnomes and dwarves are being used exclusively to direct river maintenance on the Selintan. Perryville supplies a lot of the manpower but they'd like to supply more.)
    The long term tension is that gnome bend can only get so big before it really can't defend itself very well.

Sigurd

At least that's the plan now. :)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:04 pm  

It looks like Anna put some stuff from her own campaigns on some of her maps. In the pdf version there's a "Personal Campaign" layer that you can "turn off". When you do Perryville disappears.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:44 am  

You sir are a genius! Thank you.

I've been using a different PDF reader when I looked at the pdfs. I didn't see the personal layer.

This explains why there is nothing about the town. It may change my approach. If the town is an add on anyway I might just replace it with Gnome Bend.

Sigurd
    Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:19 am  

I would ask Anna. I was under the impression from the times I've chatted with her that her maps utlize 'published' source material only. If I had to guess about the origin of Perryville, it's likely a Living Greyhawk Campaign created community. I believe such projects were common in the various triads and then made it to their maps, and since Anna spares no detail in pouring over maps for making hers...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:50 am  

Of course I'm happy to be better informed but 'personal' seems like a pretty clear indicator that the site is at least not canon. That, plus I can't find any mention of it.

Fiction being what it is, I can always move the city if I discover 'the Great book of Perryville in Greyhawk'. For my uses it might actually work out better. I can simply say to anyone who uses Ana's map: "See Perryville, Replace that with this."

Sigurd

Although if Ana is on the board she's most welcome to chime in with the history of this little detail.
    Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:48 pm  

After roaming the map Rasgon posted for a while I see several other details on here that I'm unfamiliar with. I just don't see Anna cluttering this map with locations if they weren't referenced -somewhere- however esoteric they may be.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:12 pm  

It is a fantastic map and in general I'm happy to take it as authoritative.

But the layer with Perryville on it is marked 'Personal' it also has a couple of lairs on the layer making me think it is her campaign. Her attention to detail actually strengthens my thought that this is her campaign. She said 'personal' and I take her at her word.

I'd be happy to work with that if I found details to explain it but I think the chances of that are slim. My DM said it was near Perryville. I'm going to suggest it is Perryville.

With due deference to Gman, I'm going to rename it 'Fafh' or something. Any suggestions for a name? - truthfully I don't like Perryville. I don't know anyone named Perry.

I'll likely DM next and I might then get to use what I can't now.

Sigurd
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:12 pm  

I'm sorry it took me such a long time to reply to this thread.

Smart and knowledgeable as you all are in this forum Wink you have already figured out that Perryville is an invention of mine from my own Greyhawk Campaign.

A long time ago when I hadn't started to do proper research before making adventures for my group of players I needed to flush out the Selintan valley. I read somewhere that "there are several towns and villages along the river", so I made up a few and one of my inventions became the town of Perryville. Years later when I started my mapping in earnest I saw that there in my opinion where room for a town between Ford Keep and Two Ford so I kept Perryville in the personal layer.

There are a few anecdotes from happenings in Perryville. A player in my campaign played an Illusionist who came from Perryville. He was a human that started out as a bit of a prankster which he had picked up from gnomes in the area. Timbor was his name and he became one of the significant characters in our long lasting campaign.

Timbor became less of a prankster and rose in level all the way to 18th and managed to be mayor of Perryville for a brief period. It ended due to an incident with Rothcor (a green dragon) who's lair is another of the personal locations on map 59. The party led by said Timbor managed to steal an item from Rothcor's horde and took it to Perryville. Rothcor sniffed them out and attacked and there was a battle in the streets and on the rooftops, We had a blast :)

So I couldn't resist the temptation and kept Perryville on my map on the personal layer.

Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:08 am  
    Perryville Rocks!

Thanks Anna,

I (re)built Perryville as a gnome run switzerland south of the city of greyhawk. It was full of boat & river engineers and was mostly run by non humans. It pays a hefty tax to Greyhawk but the schools teach gnomish and inns have rooms for small folk.

For me anyway, you improved on the Greyhawk map by giving me a place that I could use without fear of impacting the GH storyline and history. It was perfect.

Thanks for all the maps.

Especially thanks for the multiple layers in the PDFs. Being able to take them away made it much more elegant for the game.

Sigurd
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: