Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - who's going to GENCON ?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    who's going to GENCON ?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:29 pm  
    who's going to GENCON ?

I'll be heading down to gencon for 1 day ( sat.) Wondering if canonfire would be willing to do a " canonfire lunch " or just a gathering to say hello in person. I'll be going down to just spend a bunch of money Smile

If anyone is interested, PM me or just say " hell yea " and we'll get something going.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:10 pm  

I plan to be there for the whole thing. A Canonfire! lunch sounds sweet.
    GreySage

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:04 am  

Sorry that I won't be there. Sad

But I am trying for the North Texas Con at Dallas this June. Trying to hook up with Grodog there. Evil Grin

Hoping you guys have a GREAT time at GenCon! Happy

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:17 am  

Sad TT wishes he could go to ANY con. alas, no funds means no con Neutral
    Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:23 pm  

Sorry bout that TT. Someday!

Rob, baronzemo. I shall be there for the duration. A Saturday lunch fits nicely as I am not scheduled for anything yet (seems eating is what I do there half the time). Anyone else we know going to be there? And more importantly, any ideas on a place to congregate?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:53 am  

Well as far as a place to eat, Sullivan's Steakhouse is a great place to eat or we could always go to Happy Hooters Happy
    Also i thought i would repost this again about 1mo. before gencon to see if any one else can go at the last moment.
    Looking forward to meeting everyone.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:29 am  

I'll also be there from Wed-Sun this year. Lots of gaming waiting to be had. Cool

~O

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:20 am  

I would prefer dinner (or a at late lunch) at a reasonably-priced venue, preferably with alcohol.

If Sullivan's is the place I'm thinking of, I'm afraid it might be a little too high-priced for some (though I wouldn't mind trying the food sometime--I hear it's good).

I was thinking perhaps the Ram Brewery--most entrees are under 10-15 bucks, and they've got a decent beer selection, too.
    Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:00 pm  

I'm sorta with Rob on this one mainly b/c I've seen that Ram Brewery many times and have never gone in it. A search of Sullivan's also shows me that it is way out from downtown, and I'd rather stick to things within walking distance of the con. Hooters -is- in walking distance by the way, I'm not ruling that out.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:01 am  

sounds like Ram Brewery then. lets say 1pm then. up to change if something is going on we all want to go to Smile
    Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:37 pm  

Bump.

Hey fellas, sound off, are we still up for this lunch at Gencon? Any more takers? There is good Greyhawk talk to be had.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:09 pm  

I'm no longer sure if I'll be making Gen Con this year, as plans fell through with the people I was going with. If I do make it, I'll be there.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:28 pm  

So,

I've really never been a big time poster, more of a reader. Nonetheless, I've been away from Canonfire and GH for far too long (over two years... long and sad story). Yet hope abounds.......

I am rejoining the ranks of the 'Hawkers and Canonfire. And better yet, I will be at GenCon this year! So if you don't mind a new face, I would like to join the lunch get together.

Still 1pm at Ram on Saturday?
    Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:04 pm  

I am going to pencil Ram in at 1pm Saturday yes. I have no great plans beyond this and am open to meet-ups anywhere anytime at the con, but for starters this is good. I'd love to induce more people to show up with something as I'm a big face of Canonfire. Not sure what but I'll think on it for a few days. Anyhow, be you a long time fan of this site or new, or lurker, try and show up because well, the more the merrier, and it'll help us identify the GH fans from all else. rolleyes
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:20 am  
    Gen Con Photo

This would be a good opportunity for photos. Alas I can't go Sad

Last edited by jacko on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:04 pm  

Rats! I signed up for a seminar on leadership and the GM in that time slot...lunch (and drinks) sounds awesome, too. I mean, I'm already chock full of leadership skills *strikes a dashing pose*, but...free seminar. Free...

Raaaargh. Wanna hang with the 'Hawkers! I'll have to see how it goes when I get to the con.
    CF Admin

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:34 am  

Alas, I won't be there again this year.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:31 am  

In chat last week, there was talk of "covering" the con on behalf of the CF! site. Is this something people would actually be interested in? We can rig Twitter or Facebook updates to display in a different site, or we could just link to the appropriate Twitter page. (Which I don't currently have, but could create) Web updates from my phone aren't real feasible, but texting/SMS updates would be fine. Alternately, all attendees could share highlights at the end of the day on this thread or elsewhere. Or we could do nothing at all.

Anyway, I just recall it being mentioned in passing, and wanted to make sure that if the CF! PTB are/were interested, we get moving with plans in that direction.

Looking forward to seeing all y'all at Gen Con! Happy
    Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:55 am  

grodog wrote:

Darn it grodog!

As to Talin's assignment from chat (Gary Holian's thought it was a good idea to try). I'm not sure how to proceed beyond a sticky'd CF forum thread. I'm not up on how Twitter works nor have I ever done internet things from a phone (I'm behind on the times). Talin I'd suggest going with whatever you feel you have time for b/c any little info might be fun and interesting to read. I doubt anyone expects a constantly updated blog with tons of con coverage. It'll just be a challenge finding info relevant to GH this year. Also since this is the first time anyone here has done something like this it'll be a learning experience anyhow. I guess I'll bring my laptop this year so I can join in. I usually travel light.

p.s. Any last minute takers for the Ram Brewery lunch, Sat. @1pm? Any and all canonfirees are welcome, be you long time or lurker. I don't eating by myself btw, but come on folks make the trip worth our time. Surprised
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:51 am  

i'll be their at 1pm, i have two lunches to go to so i can only stick around for sbout 45mins to 1 hour but looking forward to the lunch.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:05 pm  

All settled in to the hotel room! Played a hilarious yet oddly intense game of Red Dragon Inn down in the lobby, finally got the blasted laptop to claim one of the limited hotel internet connections, and I'm gonna be at the convention center, eagerly awaiting 11 to roll around so I can begin the hunt for awesome schwag, and pick up my pre-ordered Pathfinder books. I'll also be uploading/linking to pics of any amazingly cool, sexy, or entertainingly bad cosplayers I encounter, and of course, ever on the prowl for Greyhawk-related tidbits.
    Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:12 am  

Word to the wise, and you'd think I would have learned by now...have your badge mailed to you. The Will Call lines are just as long on Wednesday as they are any other day it seems.
    Let's see how Thursday goes. Have fun Talin, and all attending!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:11 pm  

There was an incredibly long line of people signing up for badges at Gen Con, but when I was there, the Will Call lines were moving quite swiftly and efficiently. I saw a leprechaun on stilts and a stormtrooper in a kilt, a lot of people who were extremely hot, and a lot of people who were not as hot as they imagined. A girl dressed up for True Dungeon was wearing little besides pointy ears and horns, and dazed my party for 1d4 rounds. Experienced an unfortunately rude and awkward waiter at the Marriott's restaurant, but unfailingly cheerful and helpful staff at the Staybridge. Women in Gaming panel produced much interesting discussion, though perhaps not interesting in the way the panelists intended. Demo'd the next expansion for Red Dragon Inn, raced from place to place, tried to take in the amazing masterpieces on Artist's Alley, and was just generally overwhelmed by all there is to see and do. Maybe I'll be able to be a bit more in command of my surroundings tomorrow. First up: attending (NOT entering!!!) Queen of the Geeks pageant.

I want to find meaningful GH-themed news, but we'll see.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:56 am  

New personal record - 3rd straight Gencon not attended. Confused

Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:55 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:
    New personal record - 3rd straight Gencon not attended. Confused

Congratulations!

(But I've got you beat - I've NEVER been!)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:17 pm  

I've never been as well.
    Forum Moderator

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:18 pm  

I apologise to anyone who went to the Ram Brewery Saturday and didn't run into me. I had never been there before and didn't know the layout and I failed to have a way of making myself stand out in a quite BUSY restaurant. By chance though I was at the bar next to baronzemo of all people. Hey bz! So, for future reference, let's always meet at the bar first.

I hope some of the rest of you might've bumbled into one another like I did. How was y'all's gencon besides?
    GreySage

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:47 pm  

Well, as I had predicted, I was unable to attend. Hopefully, I'll get to go next year. Maybe I can talk Bubbagump into coming as well. Exclamation Laughing

(If he brings those three offspring of his we ought to be safe enough! Laughing )

Last edited by Mystic-Scholar on Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:39 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Well, as I had predicted, I was unable to attend. Hopefully, I'll get to go next year. Maybe I can talk Bubbagump into coming as well. Exclamation Laughing

(If he brings those three "boys" of his we ought to be safe enough! Laughing )

Two boys and one girl. Please don't forget the girl.

She gets...cranky...when she's left out.

(*bubbagump tries hard to repress a shudder, but fails...*)
    GreySage

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:14 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    Please don't forget the girl . . . She gets...cranky...when she's left out.

*The Scholar turns his head at the creaking of the stairs, expecting Bubbagump -- Hairfoot halfling Assassin of Tharizdun -- yet again. But wait, what . . . ? Arrrgh! . . . Thud! The Scholar pulls himself up from the floor . . . reaching for that bottle of antidote. That horrible creature was not Bubbagump! *

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:17 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    grodog wrote:

Darn it grodog!

Probably next year :D

We're still waiting for sales figures from the booth (our books were at the Expeditious Retreat Press/Table Top Adventure booth), but Jon Hershberger (president of Black Blade) had a great time, and brought home some goodies for me.

The Gygax Memorial auction seemingly went well, although some items wouldn't have sold as cheaply had I been there (most notably the original mss. for Necropolis...).

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:56 am  

My first Gen Con was a big success. I had so much fun with my friends, I loved wandering the city, and it was great just to be around so, so many gamers and geeks, all enjoying the con in their own ways. The ENnies were cool, and it was exciting to see how far they had come from being an entirely web-based event. I'm happy to say that the adage of "never meet your heroes" did not prove true; all the Kobold Quarterly and Paizo folk were as friendly and laid-back as could be, and witnessing the banter and teasing, yet the camaraderie as well, amongst the Paizo crew, has made me think of them as the Ghostbusters of gaming. There were cool, FREE seminars, and a room full of practically all my favorite video games. Plenty of vocally talented gamers gracing the Rock Band stage. Met the mortellan. All in all, way more to see and do than I could possibly manage, and a fantastic time.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:55 am  

Gen Con was fun. To bad i only went for 1 day.... again Sad, next time like mortellan said, we should all meet at the bar. I plan on going next year for a 3 day weekend. So this time i will make sure i get in contact with everyone who is going to set a time and place (Ram Brewery sounds good again)
    But all-in-all had a fun time and not much was talked about greyhawk between mortellan and myself. We spent most of the time talking about baseball and hockey Confused
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:17 pm  

Wish I could've been there. Next year, I plan on exchanging cell numbers with those going to aid in our gathering.
    Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:39 pm  

baronzemo wrote:
    So this time i will make sure i get in contact with everyone who is going to set a time and place (Ram Brewery sounds good again)

I agree, Ram Brewery is a great place to meet next time and I'll be damned if I didn't get a photo of their Living Greyhawk banner.

Quote:
    But all-in-all had a fun time and not much was talked about greyhawk between mortellan and myself. We spent most of the time talking about baseball and hockey Confused

Ah yes, that must be why I didn't get that LG banner photo, I was too busy talking sports. Old habits die hard at the bar.
    GreySage

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:16 am  

I really hope to be with you guys at the Ram Brewery next year! Happy

I'll try to bring Bubbagump too. Laughing

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:09 pm  

The bar.

Should have checked the bar.

And made it easier to make it known I was a 'Hawker.

Outside of my epic fail at the Ram Brewery to be more inquisitive of other patrons, Gen Con was great! Hadn't been in 3 years and it seems I ran into old friends I hadn't seen in 3 years on a pretty consistant basis.

I plan on being there next year and this time will check the bar (and wear a big GH banner Happy ).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: