JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Holy Kingdom of Erypt
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Holy Kingdom of Erypt
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:10 am  
    Holy Kingdom of Erypt

Does anyone know if the Holy Kingdom of Erypt is a kingdom that resembles Earth's Egypt? Is it a land of deserts and pyramids? Do they worship the Egyptian pantheon of deities? Very curious........

Thanks in advance. Smile
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:33 am  

I believe it was suppose to be a version of real earth Egypt. I have toyed with the idea of making it a gnoll kingdom. Anubis being the chief deity versus human followers of Bast. Have not really touched on this idea as of yet. Orcreich is yet another area to touch upon. One of the reasons I wanted the Pomarj for the goblin races.
    GreySage

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:50 pm  

There's not much official detail on Erypt. I think some of us would rather think of it as a placeholder name, and not the actual name of the country (since barely disguised Earth names work in Gary Gygax's Ærth setting, but not so much in Oerth).

The sole official description of Erypt is in the Dragon Annual #1:

Quote:
    Erypt: An arid land ruled by a dynasty of priest kings.

Make of that as you will. The body of water to Erypt's east is called the Gulf of Ra, and the body of water to the north is the Celestial Sea. I think Erypt's proximity to the Celestial Imperium (Suhfang, or Shaofeng) to the north would, at the very least, influence its culture in somewhat un-Egyptian ways. Imagine if China took the place of the Greeks and Romans in Egypt's history, so that the Han dynasty conquered the land instead of Alexander the Great, and introduced Confucian concepts instead of Hellenic ones. Celestial silk and spices are found in the Eryptian courts, Celestial art influences Eryptian styles, Celestial religious concepts becoming adopted by the Eryptians instead of anything resembling Christianity and Islam, and so on - and the reverse would be true as well, with an undercurrent of Eryptian mysticism haunting the Celestial schools of magic. The priest kings would probably have regained control over the nation at some point after the ancient Celestial empire declined but, even if they went through a period of isolationism where they deliberately purged elements they perceived of as "foreign" or un-Eryptian, you'd still see some Celestial influence. It'd be more interesting if there was, I think.

I associate Erypt with Tsing-Chu, from Erik Mona's essay "Bounds of Oerik."

Quote:
    In fact, many of the Suhfang colonies south of the great bay that intersects southwest Oerik are almost wholly independent from this rule, despite the wishes of the greater government. Most prominent of these is the large theocracy known as Tsing-Chu.

There, a devoted caste of priests diligently follow the teachings of the god Khuzkan (a complicated figure who may or not be Pelor under a different guise), who implores them to scour the world, rewarding the actions of kind men and the dispatching of evil. Of course, Khuzar conceptions of evil often vary significantly from the morality of the rest of western Oerik (especially in the realms south of the Vanian Confederation), and this alone has been the cause of several prolonged disputes. The justice of Khuzar priests is swift and unflinching, and few understand what is happening to them before their sentence has been carried out.

Another spur in the side of Tsing-Chu's neighbors are the Tsongs, large groups of malign humans exiled from their homelands. These men and women prey upon the shipping lanes of the southwest, and are an annoyance to the people of the south, who view them both as a subtle diplomatic weapon employed by the rulers of Tsing-Chu and as proof that the "sentencing" of the Khuzar priests is often less strict within the nation's own borders than it is without.

If this is accepted, the name of the Gulf of Ra should be changed to the Gulf of Khuzkan.
    Site Theocrat

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:01 am  

Hi all -
    If Bubbagump doesn't post here in next two days, I'll Facebook him to do so.
    Other than that, I wouldn't want to spoil anything. And that's all I have to say about that.

Theocrat Issak

Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:18 pm  

I've been working on a gazetteer of Erypt off and on for a couple of years now. My version is based loosely on the writings of Gygax, giving the region a distinctly Egyptian flavor. Gary's "Anubis Murders", "Samarkand Solution", "Infernal Sorceress", and "Necropolis" works, as well as several others, have all played a part so far. Of course, I've added several twists of my own, too.

That said, if anybody wants to make it different for their own use, by all means go right ahead.
    Site Theocrat

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:24 pm  

IIRC, an early, early read about 4 years ago, Pholtus was the founding religion of the area - and is where following of Pholtus started. Of course, I have no idea if Dave kept that as part of the basis or not - but of course, I was/am all for that!
    Theocrat Issak

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:54 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    Quote:

Another spur in the side of Tsing-Chu's neighbors are the Tsongs, large groups of malign humans exiled from their homelands. These men and women are an annoyance to the people of the south

I agree, there is nothing more annoying than a Tsing Tsong. Especially that Tsing Tsongy voice they have.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:00 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    I've been working on a gazetteer of Erypt off and on for a couple of years now.

There is a draft?

Sergio :-)
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:33 pm  

rol-oeste wrote:
    bubbagump wrote:
    I've been working on a gazetteer of Erypt off and on for a couple of years now.

There is a draft?

Sergio :-)

Just a pile of notes and disjointed writings at the moment. Erypt was put aside when I signed onto Crag's Celestial Imperium project. I do hope to finish it eventually, though. The ideas are accumulating at a rather alarming rate, and if I don't do something with them they're liable to overwhelm my office. Cool
    Mad Archmage of the Oerth Journal

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:54 am  

I plan on adding the Bounds of Oerik article to OJ 26 so that will help a lot of people for some reference material. =)
    http://www.oerthjournal.com http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan
    Master Greytalker

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:11 am  

I appreciate your efforts bubba Smile

It should go without saying any assistance that I could offer with erypt will be done - it is the least I can do after your efforts.

In fact, bubba and I have developed the holy kingdom more then a little simply to keep the region coherent culturally and historically. As for map references I have created a rough OJ "working map" which includes the various manuscript features and settlements. Of course inclusion of the erypt information is the decision of bubbagump.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:21 pm  

Man, I wish I had known about some of this a few months back when I began an I3-5 campaign; 'shoehorned' into the lands to the SW of Zeif!

I know the modules were put in a "super module" format and put into the Forgotten Realms; but being a Greyhawk fan; I went ahead and put them in there.

Now it looks like it could've been a lot easier with some actual 'cannon' background!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:52 pm  

I know at one point someone had created a rather extensive Erypt website, but it must have been taken down, as I can’t find it now for the life of me…

Once upon a time I was going to have Erypt be the Khemit of EGG’s Necropolis (Necromancer Games) but that never came to fruition.
    The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed, in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a wide-spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible. - Bertrand Russell
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: