Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Hello
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Hello
    Novice

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:20 am  
    Hello

I'm a long term player in Grewhawk mostly. I just started playing again and checking out what's going on now days. I quit playing around 2000 and have played a little bit over the past couple of weeks by myself.
    GreySage

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:29 am  

Greetings Gil-Galad, elven king! Happy

Welcome to Canonfire! Glad you "found" us! Laughing

We're looking forward to your participation and contributions. I've read your other posts, and the answer to most of those questions is "yes." But I'm going to let someone more "knowledgeable" of such things reply to it more directly. You're "in" the "right place" to find out all you need to know about "old time" gaming. Evil Grin

So again, sit back and enjoy the ride! More detailed answers are about to come your way. Wink

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:02 pm  

I certainly hope some people respond that know how to make new material. It's not a question of content, it's a matter of doing it on a PC.

Years ago with the lack of material, you had to design a lot of the world yourself. When TSR/WoTC decided to publish more material, it always ended up a lot differently. Especially the wars is what threw my entire campaign to shreds back then, so I mostly ignored it. But now, since all storylines are reset, I've been trying to integrate a lot of newer material. Mostly I'm stuck within AD&D 1 and 2 accessories and modules. Which is why I had a strong urge to try and back-convert some newer material since I found a few things interesting.

I also find it rather strange that after all these years, no material past the Sea of Dust has been published (that I'm aware of). I saw that Hepmonaland area was developed which was kind of interesting.

True, there is enough play area to last for years but at least a general outline would have been nice so that people could add more detail on their own like we used to before the Greyhawk area started to become more developed. And not to mention some maps I found that I'm not sure if they're canon or not with names like Erypt which is really generic (in my opinion). But then again, I just assume that these country names are just rumors and tales passed along by travelers. When you actually get there is when you really find out what's there. I know that's a murky subject as I've read a lot about it here.

And yes, as I mentioned earlier and this isn't a issue of popularity in creating new material. It's more of a will people use it, play it and find a use for it for reference perhaps. Are 1E and 2E games being played online, etc. It's more of a question of is it worth the effort since a well developed book can take a good deal of time to create. Also, do people consider fan made works as trivial, etc.

As far as my nickname is concerned; of course many would know where the name came from as it comes from some of my favorite books. I made the name as a nickname instead of using my real name when I first came online. Although, I rarely if ever play elves unless they are NPCs, amazingly enough.
    GreySage

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:30 pm  

My friend, its ALL been said or "asked," before. Laughing

And the answer is still . . . yes!

I began playing in '78, during my Army days. Many people you find "here" on CF prefer fan created material that they find right here. And many here prefer Basic, 1st and 2nd edition, etc. Threads supporting these editions can be found throughout Canonfire!

I'm sort of "solo" in my local, but many play these editions in the real world and on-line. Thursday night is when everyone gets together to "talk. Check the left hand column on these pages for the Greytalk link. Gary Holian a.k.a PSmedger and many others are there on Thrusday nights . . . tonight.

Stop by and get your questions answered "directly."

Again, welcome to CF. Happy

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:41 pm  

Welcome Gil Galad. Good to have you on CF!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: