JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Doctor Who
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    Doctor Who
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:59 pm  
    Doctor Who

So, I have been a Doctor Who fan since I was about 14. I started watching the Fifth Doctor's tenure in repeats on PBS in Labadie, MO. I had not clue as to the full nature of the series, so when Caves of Androzani came about, and The Doctor died of spectrox toxemia and regenerated into Colin Baker--I freaked out.

2011 had, as of yesterday, seen the departure of Nicholas Courtney, and then Elizabeth Sladen.

Stuff like this never used to bother me, celebrity deaths. I remember when Gary died I was really shook up. I think I always expected him to one day be the recipient of some grand vindication that would show the whole world that he was right all along and that D&D did not make people kill themselves or turn to Satanism; WotC would up and turn D&D back over to him and everything would be complete. I kept putting off going to GenCon to meet him, figuring "I'll go next year."

When my little brother died, I think I changed a bit about how I grieve. I do not really mourn what was lost, but what may have come to pass. All these possibilites floating around in my head regarding a specific individual to whom I am acquainted/interested in just fade away.

I have wanted to meet Peter Davison since I was a dumb kid struggling through middle school because I was too strange and tried to make friends with my history teacher. Maybe the show is responsible for my years-long affinity for befriending people who are my elders?

I have resolved to meet Peter Davison the next time he's in the US and get him to autograph something. Maybe a stalk of celery.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:06 am  

At the risk of shaking the controversy tree, what's your take on the latest Dr Whos?

(Hides behind a rock)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed May 11, 2011 5:02 pm  

CP,

We all mourn what is lost on our part. When I lost my Mom was it her that I missed or the fact that I knew my most treasured memories of her could never evolve beyond what has past. I came to a realization that all things come to an end. So enjoy it while its still around. I commend you on taking the initiative to go and get that autograph of Peter Davison. I think it will help bring about your own realization. I think it will be a good experience for you.

Best of Luck!

I will not hide I like the new Dr. Who the angels was one of my favorite episodes. Now the Dr comes to America.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri May 13, 2011 8:48 pm  

I really like the new Doctor quite a bit--but then again I always do. I have been helping my sister-in-law get through the new series, and just tonight we finished Eccleston's wonderful run on the show. It is true what they say, that "you never forget your first Doctor."

She was pretty down about it, but I told her not to hate the new Doctor, as he is not out to make his formers look bad, but to show that all of their hard work meant something. By the end of Tennant's first episode (an awful one) she was sold on him as the Doctor.

Tennant did not have very many good episodes, but it was always fun to watch him play the Doctor.

Matt Smith is very Patrick Troughton meets Colin Baker. I like how he's a giddy fool (Troughton) but he'll throw you under the bus if you mess up (Colin Baker). I still dislike the format of the new series, and feel that many of the episodes could benefit greatly from being longer (Victory of the Daleks).

Here is me hoping for a multi-doctor special in November, 2013.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: