Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - DAs Blackmoor (Goodman Games)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    DAs Blackmoor (Goodman Games)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:15 am  
    DAs Blackmoor (Goodman Games)

Goodman Games has released Dave Arneson's Blackmoor setting. For those unfamiliar with the details of the setting, this is a very nice introduction with a pretty good map. For those familiar with the First Fantasy Campaign from Judges Guild, I'd say the new version is more of an optional thing.

Blackmoor, of course, has a strong GH connection both in terms of real and fictional history.

It is easy enough to suppose that DAs Blackmoor once existed in Oerth's prehistory, with the Land of Black Ice and GH Blackmoor being remnants of that earlier time. Blackmoor might then be a/the home of the Flan, who migrated to found the present Duchy of Tenh. The Blackmoor map certainly fits.

Fred Weining wrote an excellent article for the Oerth Journal (not sure what issue), I believe, that worked through the parallel histories.

Beyond any present time campaign use, DAs Blackmoor offers the possibility of time travel adventures into GH's past with a ready made Blackmoor campaign setting waiting at the other end of the time stream.

DAs Blackmoor setting is outstanding, IMO, in one particular. I have never found any setting that better captures the feeling of roleplaying in a "frontier" area, where civilization has just barely begun to take hold. Along with EGG, Dave Arneson created one of the best fantasy settings, IMO.

You may want to keep an eye out for DAs Blackmoor at your FLGS and give it a look.

GVD
    Novice

Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:50 am  
    Blackmoor retrofit....

In my campaign, Greyhawk's Blackmoor has always been a big hit. With the addition of Arneson's work, it is about to get bigger.

The BEST thing about the the new Blackmoor setting are its old school sensibilities. This thing feels like an old Greyhawk book, and in many ways it is. It won't be too difficult to retrofit the Land of Black Ice, GH Blackmoor and surrounding environs to make use of Arneson's Blackmoor as a new frontier.

Plus, who can resist going head to head with the Egg of Coot?! :)
    Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:35 pm  

I've been studing the Blackmoor map in this new book looking for a way to 'fit' it with the Darlene GH map. If Arneson's Duchy of Ten was east of BM instead of west, it could -almost- work.
    Novice

Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:02 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    I've been studing the Blackmoor map in this new book looking for a way to 'fit' it with the Darlene GH map. If Arneson's Duchy of Ten was east of BM instead of west, it could -almost- work.

In that case, use a mirror version of Arneson's Blackmoor map to transfer all relevant localities into Greyhawk's Blackmoor.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:09 pm  

You know, this might really work for me. I've not yet got it, but if it could give me some good info on running a brief war w/ the Wolf Nomads and Blackmoor verse Iuz and the Tiger Nomads...
    Let's just say my PC's have pissed the Old One off and he's in pursuit, via a couple of his boneheads.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: