ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Nyrond - 582CY
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Nyrond - 582CY
    Novice

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:11 am  
    Nyrond - 582CY

G'day Greyhawkers,
    I'm about to continue an old Greyhawk campaign I used to run a couple of years back, though this time I want to more accurately portray the lands in which the pcs traverse.
    It is Patchwall 582CY, on the eve of The Greyhawk Wars, and the characters are situated on the south coast of Nyrond in a small village. They are soon to travel to Rel Mord and I want to give them a sense of a country preparing for war as they make the journey.
    My question for you learned folk is how? What would Nyrond have been like in villages and cities alike during that time?
    Thank for any replies,
    Fal
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:56 am  

To get an idea of what such a time would be like, I'd recommend you read some books by Bernard Cornwell. They are historical fiction that take place during the Hundread Years War. This is the time when conflict between England and France saw some of their most historic battles, such as Agincourt and Crecy, in addition to the rise of Joan D'Arc. The books set a nice tone for a late medieval period feel, which I think nicely illustrates one possible description of what the average lands in Greyhawk would be like. Then there are the latest recent movies Joan of Arc(starring Leelee Sobieski) and The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc(starring Milla Jejovavich). You would do well to watch either of those to get a more visual feel of what life was like at the time, and what the cities, towns, and armies looked like. If you also like to read, then here are Bernard Cornwell's book titles:

The Archer's Tale

Vagabond

Heretic

There are only three books in this series so far. I am in the process of reading the thrird one right now, so I don't know if this is where things end. you should be able to get hold of these at any decent book store, or from Amazon if you are not near a decent book store. The books might also give you some character or adventure ideas for your campaign as well, which is never a bad thing!!! Cool
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: