ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sea of Dust adventure
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Sea of Dust adventure
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:28 am  
    Sea of Dust adventure

Hi folks,

(spoilers of 'against the giants' ahead)

I'm a long time DM with my group and have the position to be the backup-dm of the group for a while. This means I have the opportunity to DM single sessions which have to be fun and a meaning. I started with the Against the Giants modules where the city of Hochoch played a mayor role. The party ended being level 14 and have looted and slain the Fire, Frost and Hill Giants, effectively liberating Geoff. A Gran March commander Sir Horice Amstide and the Duke of Geoff fighted by politics and ultimately cooperate to liberate entire Geoff now the mayor Giant outposts were slain by the PCs. Also the Drow treat by Eclavdra was dismissed as she was almost slain and fled. The PCs decided not to take part in it anymore but chase one of the PCs who left their group.

And he didn't leave for nothing though. The PCs freed a dwarven prisoner from the halls of King Snurre. Not knowing this was the infamous Obmi. Back in Hochoch this dwarf offered one the PCs (Roonwicket, a gnome necromancer with evil tendencies) great power if he would join him to leave by a teleport spell. This great power attracted Roonwicket so much he left with Obmi, not really knowing who he was.

In a remote place near the Rift Canyon Obmi, Eclavdra (!) and Roonwicket gathered and decided to hunt for one the Suss Theorparts, which is said to be found in the Forgotten City in the Sea of Dust.

As the brother of Roonwicket, Roondar is still a partymember the group has great interest to track the group. Divination learned them some of the goals of this new-found group of evil (N)PC's. They decided to track them and went through Slerotins passage to the Sea of Dust.

I'm fleshing out the SoD as long lost persian empire where very small tribes survive by looking for water. I made up special rules for divine casters (chance that their gods can't reach them causing spell failure) and arcane casters (risk of becoming defilers which I borrowed form Dark Sun setting).
    Furthermore I introduced mayor arcane strange-beings as sand where you can swim in and dive for long lost ruins of Suel cities.

During the first session (last sunday) in the SoD) the group met two nomads who are leading them to the Null Obelisk (the adventure as found online). I have no clue what and how the enemy (Obmi, Eclavdra and Roonwicket) is doing except they are looking for the Suss Theorparts.

Besided messing up Greyhawk canon (oops) I want a little bit too much right now and need your help. Any ideas to throw in are very welcome.

And yes, flying ships who look for slaves for the unknow empires west of the Sea of Dust would be v-e-r-y neat. :)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:39 am  
    Re: Sea of Dust adventure

Sander_Kaa wrote:
    ...The PCs freed a dwarven prisoner from the halls of King Snurre. Not knowing this was the infamous Obmi. Back in Hochoch this dwarf offered one the PCs (Roonwicket, a gnome necromancer with evil tendencies) great power if he would join him to leave by a teleport spell. This great power attracted Roonwicket so much he left with Obmi, not really knowing who he was.

In a remote place near the Rift Canyon Obmi, Eclavdra (!) and Roonwicket gathered and decided to hunt for one the Suss Theorparts, which is said to be found in the Forgotten City in the Sea of Dust...

-Was Obmi in the original? Is that his canonical origin? I though he came from EGG's book (the 2nd one, whose title I forget...)

Sander_Kaa wrote:
    ...As the brother of Roonwicket, Roondar is still a partymember the group has great interest to track the group. Divination learned them some of the goals of this new-found group of evil (N)PC's. They decided to track them and went through Slerotins passage to the Sea of Dust...

-How aware is Roondar of Roonwicket's alignment? He isn't suspicious of his motives?

Sander_Kaa wrote:
    ...Furthermore I introduced mayor arcane strange-beings as sand where you can swim in and dive for long lost ruins of Suel cities...

-That's in line with the Sea of Dust write-up in Greyhawk Adventures, IIRC.

Sander_Kaa wrote:
    ...Besided messing up Greyhawk canon (oops) ...

-I don't see very much that is out of canon, other than the Athas-style defilers, and they seem to be restricted to the Sea of Dust. You could make them more "official" if you wrote it as a prestige class.

Last edited by jamesdglick on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:39 am  

jamesdglick wrote:
    -Was Obmi in the original? Is that his canonical origin? I though he came from EGG's book (the 2nd one, whose title I forget...)

Yes, Obmi was an advisor to the Fire Giants in the original G1-3, Against the Giants modules. EGG wrote him into the Gord stories as an agent of Iuz. I have no idea how he transitioned from the giants to Iuz, though.

Sander_Kaa:

Your ideas sound very interesting. Smile Here are some suggestions.

If you can get your hands on a copy of B4, The Lost City, it has an extensive lost civilization briefly described mapped in its appendix. The adventure itself if for levels 1-4, but the lost civilization is left for each DM to develop as s/he wishes. This may offer a good base from which to begin to create such an adventure locale for your higher level players.

The Derro are supposed to have originated as an experiment by the Ancient Suloise empire. Dwarves were crossbred with humans in an attempt to create the perfect slave. Derro were the result and many survived the Rain of Colorless Fire, so they are likely to be found in surviving ruins and other locales beneath the Sea of Dust.

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:01 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    ...Yes, Obmi was an advisor to the Fire Giants in the original G1-3, Against the Giants modules. EGG wrote him into the Gord stories as an agent of Iuz. I have no idea how he transitioned from the giants to Iuz, though...

-On another thread, someone (who?) pstulated that Iuz had a hand in the Giant's operations, and pointed out his connection to the Drow. That would confirm it.

Dun dun, dah! Cool

SirXaris wrote:
    ...The Derro are supposed to have originated as an experiment by the Ancient Suloise empire. Dwarves were crossbred with humans in an attempt to create the perfect slave. Derro were the result and many survived the Rain of Colorless Fire, so they are likely to be found in surviving ruins and other locales beneath the Sea of Dust.

-One of the later, high-numbered (300+?) Dragon issues has an article (by Roger Moore?) purporting to be a letter from Elaine Mystica to Mordenkainen which includes some notes on how the Suel were responsible for the creation of the Derro, the Jermaline and Doppelgangers (and the Lerara).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:36 pm  

Cool stuff sofar. I'll check out the Lost City module. I even reminder having reading it.

I thougth I messed up canon due to the fact I let Eclavdra and Obmi (indeed, an advisor of King Snurre acting as a prisoner who had to translate letters and books for King Snurre during 25 years, the poor boy Obmi.... haha) travel together, bot sure that would be canon at all. This was inpired by the EGG novel Sea of Dust. Athas / Dark sun was a great inspiration too, I think the defilers match really well with the Sea of Dust. The mere fact our arcane PCs are terrified about each spell they cast is great fun (and is even balancing the power of PCs in our 3.5 game a bit).

Thanks for the information about the Derro. Crossbred makes sense to me. I definately include them.

Regarding the PCs: Roondar knows Roonwicket is part of an evil plan to retrieve a very powerfull item. Roondar even knows Roonwicket will use it to increase his own powers dramatically. At this moment Roonwicket will not help Iuz or another evil god. He wants to become the evil (demi)god himself! More than enough motivation to stop him at this moment. Roonwicket being a wizard also means he was the strongest partymember. The others fear a battle with him and his new 'friends'.

A problem which occured too last setting was the lack of appropriate monsters. Of course the sea of dust is full of vermin and carnivouros plants. But nothing to match lvl 14 players imo. Any suggestions on monsters. I like using non-WotC stuff (e.g. Tome of Horrors) to surprise my group.

Furthermore I'm thinking of introducing an assassination group of Scarlet Brotherhood badasses. They would be the enemy of both the PCs and their enemy, Roonwicket and the gang. Makes it interesting for roleplaying.

Ow, and anyone who has ideas about flying ships please jump in.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:17 am  

Sander_Kaa wrote:
    ...A problem which occured too last setting was the lack of appropriate monsters. Of course the sea of dust is full of vermin and carnivouros plants. But nothing to match lvl 14 players imo. Any suggestions on monsters. I like using non-WotC stuff (e.g. Tome of Horrors) to surprise my group...

I probably should have put this here:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=posting&mode=editpost&p=52353

jamesdglick wrote:
    ...EDIT: That Fiend Folio [AD&D 2] had a lot of other stuff that was Sea of Dust useful, including a giant boring worm-crittter (it's listed in the WOG Glossography encounter tables for the Sea of Dust), plus humanoid-like reptile men (whose name also eludes me- fire something or other). I think they had a tiny breath attack...

...I don't know what EL the worms are, but they'd have to be over EL 5. Maybe the PCs could run into a colony. Laughing

Sander_Kaa wrote:
    ...Furthermore I'm thinking of introducing an assassination group of Scarlet Brotherhood badasses. They would be the enemy of both the PCs and their enemy, Roonwicket and the gang. Makes it interesting for roleplaying...

-Who do they want to assassinate? You could just make them a rival looting expedition looking for artifacts.
    GreySage

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:19 am  

jamesdglick wrote:

-On another thread, someone (who?) pstulated that Iuz had a hand in the Giant's operations, and pointed out his connection to the Drow. That would confirm it.

I'll take the blame for that (erroneous?) idea.

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:46 am  

I wrote a bit about the Lo Nakar, The Last (or Lost) City of the Suel, a while ago. There's an overview of it here on Canonfire (search for Lo Nakar). It might be something you could use to muddy the waters a little bit, or steal some pieces out of.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:03 am  

Regarding the Scarlet Bortherhood assassination: In my view the Brorhers and Sisters regard them as the living forthcoming of the Suel Empire. Other humanoid races are lesser in their opinion and do not deserve to delve into the old Suel treasure an magic. Why would they allow to let the PCs or the Roonwicket group find powerful magic items? It can only weaken the position of the Scarlet Brotherhood imo.
    GreySage

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:28 am  

I have read the Gord books in which he delves into the Sea of Dust, seeking the artifact buried inside the ruins hidden within that inhospitable desert. Are you wishing to recapture the events for your PCs in that adventure?

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:42 pm  

Yes, the Gord books inspired me definately for this adventure.
    GreySage

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:43 pm  

But...do you want to parallel them in your game?

Or do you want fresh, novel, unique designs? Or are you recreating the same adventure, but with your PCs?

Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:39 pm  

I;d love to have a fresh design. I used the Gord novel to get the look and feel of the SoD right and used the Suss Theorparts as the goal for the Roonwicket group. I'm open for anything!
    GreySage

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:55 am  

I am not all that familiar with the Sea of Dust beyond that which is written down in the original ('83) boxed set and the entry in Living Greyhawk Gazeteer. Are you still interested in placing one of the Artifacts of Evil (Tharizdun) in the ruins of your campaign? Or do you want something different? Perhaps all of this is actually merely a rumor...and nothing more than a wild goose chase in the end! How about that?! Cool

Some things about the Sea of Dust and desert ecologies first and foremost come to mind. This is the scientist in me speaking, and my total love for wilderness adventures. Make AVID use of the Wilderness Survival Guide at all costs, if you have it. Perhaps the BIGGEST challenge, and potential killer, for your characters should be the desert itself! This should test the mettle, resourcefulness, and abilities of even the highest lvl party. Here are some ideas to consider:

1) Temperatures bake you during the day, freeze you at night. Without humidity and cloud cover to help buffer the fluctuations, your party should face extremes. Anyone in armor, even studded, will perish in hours from soaring internal temperatures during the day unless protective magic (Resist Heat, etc) is used. Check out the table in the WSG mentioned above how this affects PCs. At night, all that daytime heat escapes, leaving your PCs shivering. Also bear in mind that there will be few to no combustibles for them to make fire from the surrounding environment.

2) Water water water...where is it?! A cleric's ability to create it (with appropriate Sphere access) will be paramount to survival. If they have mounts, those animals will require it too. The avg human can survive ONLY 3 days without water before dying. That oasis those characters see in the distance is likely to be a cruel mirage! Cry

3) The sun is likely to blind them, even if they don't look skyward. Reflecting off the sand, the rays may dazzle their eyes, or have prolonged effects that hinders their sight. Furthermore, there's the distinctive likelihood that, without protection (clothing or magic), they will develop severe sunburn. OUCH!

4) Shelter. Depending on location, they might only have dunes of sand. In others, perhaps some rocks, or a gully, or, if you are nice, a small oasis.

5) Travel methods? Magic? Camel? Foot? Rates of movement are greatly diminished in a desert. Imagine walking for miles on end across a vast, seemingly endless expanse of sand...

6) Food. As with water, this will pose a great problem. Any rations they bring will dry out, unless already dried, in which case they will need more water to digest them! Good luck hunting. Large game is rare in a desert. I hope they either are willing to eat small critters, or have a cleric present who can Create Food and Water.

7) Weather conditions: besides the wild fluctuations in day/night temperatures, there is the possibility of potentially dangerous sand storms swallowing the party. Ever see live footage of some of these storms in the Middle East (or the rare ones in the SW USA)? Spectacular, huge, and awesome! They blanket vast expanses of area, threatening vision, equipment, and maybe choking the characters to death.

8) The denizens of the desert...I'll get to that in my next posting... Evil Grin

So, as you can see, Sander-Kaa, the desert itself should pose one of the greatest risks to the party, no matter the level. The drain on their magical resources will be hefty, merely to survive! Play up the lethality of the Sea of Dust and the very distinct possibility of death.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:37 am  

Denizens of the desert pose added risk to your adventuring party. Granted, due to the inhospitable conditions and low fertility of desert environs, random encounters with the native wildlife/monsters should be rather rare (except in areas like an oasis where water is present and meager plantlife). Furthermore, most critters, in order to avoid the merciless heat and baking sunlight, will likely turn to nocturnal hours to be on the prowl. During the day, they hide, if possible, whether in burrows or under the sand, or whatever shelter they can find. It's a good bet that if you party stumbles on one of these areas, they are bound to find something occupying it! And likely it won't wanna share. Evil Grin

Arthropods and reptiles are the most abundant type of (normal, or giant-sized) animals your adventurers are likely to encounter. Spiders, centipedes, scorpions, solifugids (what we call 'camel' or 'sun' spiders), insects (wasps, ants, grasshoppers), lizards, snakes, tortoises. However, small mammals (mainly rodents) and birds can also be found, though typically not to the extent of the others. Large game (camels, gazelles, oryx, wild asses) is rare and always on the move for what little water and forage can be located. Almost all desert critters are light-colored to blend in with the surroundings and to reflect as much sunlight as possible.

And then there are the 'monstrous' inhabitants. Excluding the giant-sized varieties of the mundane critters aside, you have the following: desert trolls, sphynxes, lamias, a handful of very rugged humanoids, maybe a desert giant, death dogs, a possible dragonne, griffons or hippogriffs, thunderherders (smaller versions of the purple worm that travel in burrowing groups!), hell hounds, various rare undead, and, yes, a dragon (blue, most likely). Razz If your party is lucky, maybe they will encounter 'friendly' things like a shedu, lammasu, or androsphynx. Keep in mind you also have wandering nomads, like Bedouins (sp?).

Campaign plot idea for your 'ruins' next...

Hope this helps,

-Lanthorn

Last edited by Lanthorn on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:04 pm  

I recall that the yellow dragon was a desert-dwelling dragon, but I don't remember the sourcebook it was in. Might have been a Dragon Magazine, even (the one with the Steel and Grey Dragons, maybe?).

SirXaris
    GreySage

Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:38 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    I recall that the yellow dragon was a desert-dwelling dragon, but I don't remember the sourcebook it was in. Might have been a Dragon Magazine, even (the one with the Steel and Grey Dragons, maybe?).

SirXaris

Yellow drakes are found in the Monstrous Manual at the very least. Not sure about what other tomes, but surely not Fiend Folio or Monster Manual 2. They are 'recent' additions, but I am not sure where they were first introduced. Brown dragons also prefer the desert environment as well.

Red dragons are another option, though less commonly found in deserts as blues. For a "Goodly" option one may encounter brass varieties.

-Lanthorn, Desert Ecologist

FYI: Sander_Kaa, both the 1983 boxed set and From the Ashes have encounter tables of the various creatures your party may face. Let me know if you need that information.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:25 pm  

Sander_Kaa,

You don't need flying ships. Why not sand runners sort of a mad max in the Sea of Dust. I think Athas had such vessels propelled by wind which caught their sails. They could encounter a strange being with a large hump back that stores fat and water for him and maybe there are other people like him. Sand goblins or lizardmen can also be possible encounters.

Lanthorn covered the desert and its environment itself.

You might have them enter a window like opening in a tower which has slowly sunk into the sand itself. The tower leads downward and during the day the heat travels well though the lower one goes especially at night its walls and the tunnels it leads to can be frigid. Could be undead, lerara, or derro present there.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:57 pm  

I agree with Argon about omitting flying ships. Sand-runner skiffs with big wind-catching sails, I think, were used by Gord and his associates.

Otherwise, if your party is as high lvl as you say, have them use their magical resources and/or 'the old fashion way' to traverse the desert: mounts or walking.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:30 pm  

Sir Xaris,

I believe the yellow dragon you mentioned might be in the 2e book Dracominicon. I'm not sure but one could check it out though most of its content was geared towards an FR campaign.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:34 pm  

Argon wrote:
    I'm not sure but one could check it out though most of its content was geared towards an FR campaign.

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! The enemy.... Evil Grin

Argon, you are likely correct about yellow dragons in the Draconomicon. Sounds accurate. Monstrous Manual has all manner of dragons in it beyond the 'traditional' chromatics and metallic variations. Honestly, I don't use them (or haven't) beyond the Greyhawk dragon (known as the steel dragon in the aforementioned book), but wouldn't mind tossing out a shadow dragon for fun (first revealed in MM 2).

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:38 pm  

Argon wrote:
    I believe the yellow dragon you mentioned might be in the 2e book Dracominicon. I'm not sure but one could check it out though most of its content was geared towards an FR campaign.

That sounds correct as I seem to remember the yellow dragon being associated with the desert Anauroch in FR.

I do also remember the brown dragon, Lanthorn, but couldn't remember if it was associated with the desert or not.

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:11 pm  

Sir Xaris,

Though I believe the first appearance of crystal dragons was in dragon magazine. I remember the brown dragon as well Sir Xaris. Though I to forget wheter or not it was mountains and deserts or one of the two.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:15 pm  

Hhhhmmmm...in reading my various descriptions of the Sea of Dust, I am now under the impression that it is less a desert of sand and more a desert (wasteland, really) of ash (and dust).

This adds a whole new set of environmental complexities and dangers to an adventuring group stupid, brave, reckless, or prepared (?!) enough to venture into this place.

Descriptions also mention choking clouds of noxious gases and falling ash from the (not-so, depending on your location) distant volcanoes found in the Hellfurnaces.

Sand is bad enough, Sander_Kaa (remember Anakin Skywalker complaining about how sand gets everywhere?), but fine dust and ash is perhaps worse. I have seen the devastation wrought by Mt St Helens (I live an hour south of it) DECADES after the fact! I was not here when 'she' blew her top, but I have seen the footage of it. Absolutely catastrophic, Nature truly unleashed, and the St Helens eruption wasn't nearly as bad as some other cataclysmic eruptions.

My point is that you will have more 'fun' to toss at your players beyond the traditional desert, if you follow the description of the Sea of Dust as it is written (similar in at least three books). Characters may now need to contest with ashfall clouds and foul (potentially damaging) vapors, both of which can wreck havoc on the eyes, nose, throat, and lungs. The damage to their equipment could be a nuisance at best, a total loss at worst. Any wind or movement could exacerbate the problem by stirring up loose debris, causing visual impairment as well as making breathing (without something acting as a filter) difficult or even dangerous (most ash has tiny bits of silica...glass, basically...in it).

Finally, this almost surely will alter/remove some of the creatures on my previous list that the party will encounter, and might further diminish the chance of an encounter in the first place! I know that the Sea of Dust tables also mentions dune stalkers and fire newts as well as a smaller, half-sized version of the bulette, in addition to other critters.

I feel sorry for your PCs, and I don't even know them... Evil Grin

If the Sea of Dust environment doesn't challenge your party, high lvl or not, then nothing will. Don't diminish the difficulty. Make them endure it, if they can. It sounds more like a place of the Lower Planes (like Gehenna) than the Prime Material, in fact! Part of me keeps picturing that scene in "Return of the King" when Frodo and Samwise are entering through Mordor (too much rock, so perhaps that is more like the Hellfurnaces, but I think you get the gist).

FYI: tell them to buy a "Dust Buster"

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:12 pm  

Sander_Kaa,

Lanthorn has just given your party a name. The dust busters! Laughing

Many good points smoke is likely long gone but who knows what type of lingering magical effects let alone the long term affects of breathing in the dust and ash from the area. Some new afflictions like dust lung affects one breathing and they need to take more breaks in between travel (in effect causes them to fatigue at twice the normal rate). Skin rust causes ones skin to be chaffed and ashen affecting ones charisma and constitution scores negatively. Gray sight prolonged exposure affects the way one vision dictates light and this affects how one sees colors. Afflicted individuals see in a greyscale only unable to differentiate colors at all. Even infravison is effected in stead of heat signatures different shades of gray from lighter to darker are revealed, in some cases its akin to being blinded at times.

Oh the dust busters are gonna love it! Evil Grin

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:44 am  

Wow, I'm very impressed by all your posts. Thanks so much.

The sandrunners who 'drag' ships along sounds very neat. I like it even more than my flying ship idea. Plus the fact te runners are on the ground makes it more realistic that my pcs actually meet them.

Tonight is my 2nd session in the SoD. Based on the encounter tables of the 1983 boxed set (I found them online at http://sd2cx1.webring.org/l/rd?ring=greyhawk;id=1;url=http%3A%2F%2Fwebspace.webring.com%2Fpeople%2Fau%2Fum_2724%2Fectables.html)
    and inspiration from this post. I also bought Sandstorm (3.5 book) which I like alot. It has rules on dehydration, sunburn etc. It fits very much to the posts of Lanthorn.

Tonight the party will travel along with two nomads they met last week. The nomads have reptile beast which they ride. I will use the weather and volcano ashes to make live miserable and put a load on their magical resources. Eventually their wand of endure elements will be empty. I plan to have a ranger be the captain of the sandrunner ship which sails above the whirling dust. I make him a rich man whith slaves (think of the southern style lands in the Song of Fire & Ice book). A ruthless men with loads of very expensive and helpful magic items which come at a cost which is more than gold alone. With the right payments he is even willing to let the pcs travel along to the Null obelisk. He also owns an old map the original Suel lands. He is very desperate to see the richness of the old Suel empire. So much is willing to help the PCs in their search for the forgotten city.

I plan to use a dry lich (which is the remaining of a powerful Suel mage) and rare undead and vermin as inhabitants of the Null Obelisk.

As I think the PCs will try to camp along a nomad tribe and learn how to survive the desert dangers I have planned a meeting with their priests which worship the elements rather then the normal pantheon of Greyhawk gods. Maybe one of the PCs wants to become a water priest instead of following Pelor (the burning hatred anyone ;) )

As our campaign is very open the PCs might end up looking for the forgotten city themselves. The are quite cocky. The derro will meet them down there.

As of magical rarities I'm thinking of an old city protected by magical barrier which Wee Jas created to shield a small Suel city. Nothing comes in and out but maybe the PCs find a way.

Their enemies Roonwicket, Eclavdra and Obmi are terrible lost in the SoD at this moment as they strive to track the forgotten city alone. Not wise but they are pretty scared of being traited.

I;ll write down a small adventure log later this week to keep you informed.

Again my thanks. With your help this is what I call living Greyhawk.[/url]

Last edited by Sander_Kaa on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:31 am  

Sander_Kaa,

This has been my pleasure. I may not be able to hold a candle to many posters when it comes to 'canon' knowledge, and I am constantly inquiring about rules and gaming mechanics, but when it comes to things scientific (particularly the life sciences), that is my domain...perhaps my portfolio? Cool

Let us know if you require any other insight or suggestions. Glad to be of help, and enjoy your (lethal!) campaign. FYI: I think you should start referring to your party as "The Dust Busters." Leave it to Argon to give them a punny monniker. Wink

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:50 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Let us know if you require any other insight or suggestions. Glad to be of help, and enjoy your (lethal!) campaign. FYI: I think you should start referring to your party as "The Dust Busters." Leave it to Argon to give them a punny monniker. Wink

Then, have that dust lich you have planned call them 'Dust bunnies.' Cool

SirXaris
    GreySage

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:02 am  

How about Bone Dry? Bad to the Bone? Dust in the Wind? Wink

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:07 pm  

Sander_Kaa,

Great ideas on the element worship. I'm sure a priest or water is well respected amongst all the races that eek out an existence in the Sea of Dust.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:53 pm  

Geshtai comes immediately to mind.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:18 am  

Yesterday evenings game was a blast. Small summary of the events (i'm a terrible writer btw, sorry for that):

Two nomads offered during the first session to accompany the party in the SoD. The PCs rescued Arad and Anoush (the nomads) as they were attacked by giant ants. The two hunting nomads had different motives which the PCs doesn;t know yet.

The PCs travelled deeper into the SoD after having slept in an arcane lake which is supposed to be safe (marked by some rocks, think of stoneman principle in the alpine mountains) and encountered (rolled on selfmade encounter table inspired by the one of the Greyhawk 83' boxed set) three wasteland trolls.

During the third day the party came by a small nomad encampment. The water the two clerics of the party produced immediatly led to a very friendly encounter. The nomad tribe were actually hunters travelling around looking for more lesser ashworms. Especially Sam the Halfling and Torgan Giantcleaver were very enthousiastic about riding them. They practised mounted batlle on some slaves which led to conflicts with (the PC) Alex, a human priest of Farlangh who aided the slaves after being attacked by the ashworms. After sleeping in the tents where especially the 'water'priests of the party were visited by young opportunistic woman who were very eager to sleep among them.

Next day the tribeleader offered the group to buy three lesser ashwoms and their oldest daughter (!). In return the PCs offered a giant sword which they had looted from a Frost Giant Jarl earlier. The fact it was a frost sword it merely functions as a cooling device for the nomads. A very wise trading product in the desert. Together with a giant magical chainmail (the metal is very valueble in these regions) the trade was done. Three lesser ashworms against two very expensive items. The party is very desperate two survive. Normally they would never trade something like this. The daughter was part of the deal to. Only Sam the halfling was very fond of this. The others bluffed the nomads that they would come back later for her, after their dangerous queste was over. (note: the trade of people is very common in the nomad culture, in this case the daughter would have very powerful protection and unlimited water supplies).

The PCs travelled furher with their new mounts which were keen on tracking and eating vermin. Arad and Anoush still guided them and on the fourth day after leaving the nomad tribe (their resources are running short, wand of endure elements is becoming empty) a structure of shapesand was encountered. The guides prayed to the element earth and apologied to the PCs. It was not the obelisk of Null where they have been guided to but the ship of Xavier (the PCs understood Sapphire) the Rich, a reckless ranger who sells very expensive goods. His ship was dragged along by a mere 100 reptiles connected with very long ropes to the ship which was 'flying' high above them. Two dire hawks (druids!) carefully guarded the ship. Numerous humanoids were visible on the ship as long ropeladders where thrown from the ship.

On the ship the group met Xavier the Rich, an extravert ranger merchant from the lands further to the south. Exotic looking woman showed them their goods and magic items Wink The group decided to spent almost 20k of their group loot on a small piece of textile. When thrown into the wind it transformed into a small tent, furnished by all kind of luxuary curtains, pillows and such. In front is small endless fire, a bowl of water and one bowl of exotic fruit. A personal oasis. A nice item, very useful for showoff their richness but nothing more. The PCs were very enthousiastic about it though.

On the ship they met also a priest of the element fire. Thorgan and Alex (resp. of a dwarven god and Farlangh) were interested to learn more about his god. The question why their spells fizzled more and more the priest accused their god of 'false gods' offering to teach them the true fates. They politely refused but said to maybe come back later. Will they convert?

In return of the money they spent Xavier the Rich was willing to transport them to the obelisk of Null. He even had some info about three humans he encountered earlier in the SoD. Were these the Roonwicket group they were hunting? At least they had a new track...

The session ended in front of the obelisk. Several lizards and humans ly died on the ground. Signs of the Scarlet Brotherhood are found here.

Last edited by Sander_Kaa on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:52 am; edited 2 times in total
    GreySage

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 am  

Sounds like they had a good time, Sander Kaa. I was expecting the party to try to purchase a full Wand of Endure Elements from the Ranger. Was he all out of them?

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:46 am  

Some new wands would indeed be a wise purchase. Xavier the Rich has a ship full of people to care for though. Why would selling the most useful items to unknown adventurers be in his interest. The ranger of the waste looks for wondrous items of the lost Suel kingdom, only to sell them for sky high prices to rich adventurers such as the Silent Ones of Keoland and the brothers and sisters of the Scarlet Brotherhood. Wondrous items, not powerful items. Those he keeps.

Next to that the PCs were really looking for exotic stuff, blinded by some of the 'assets' of Xavier.
    GreySage

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:08 am  

Nice! Good way to divest PCs of extra loot. Happy

SirXaris
    GreySage

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:46 pm  

I gather that the clerics in the party don't have access to protective powers over the elements and the PCs must rely upon magical items instead. I am only familiar with 1e and 2e, so forgive my ignorance regarding later editions.

The characters are fortunate indeed to have garnered the resources you mentioned. In reading your campaign update, I have mixed pictures in my head of a post-apocalyptic world (a la Mad Max) intermingled with fantasy.

Your depiction of the slavers is most vivid to me. I am somewhat surprised that none of the characters took umbrage at the enslavement of humans, regardless of the cultural norm for that society. An interesting clash of societal, and perhaps religious, mores could have ensued! How did your characters handle it? Was there any conflict whatsoever?

That scene you described reminded me partly of the slave train in the recent "Conan the Barbarian" film along with some elements in "Gladiator." Don't know why...those images came to me.

Interested how it goes...keep us updated.

-Lanthorn

note: as per your PM to me, S_K, will send my plot ideas in a forthcoming post
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:09 pm  

Sander_Kaa,

I noticed your priest of Fharlaghn had issues with their being slaves good. Even though the trade of the daughter went through maybe the pc's have to rescue her from the Roonwicket trio or a rival tribe when they return. Perhaps the ability to create water is what they need to supply as a ransom for the women. It could teach the halfling a lesson on trading for people. Nice summary of the events.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:36 am  

The clerics in our party pray to Tharmakul (an obscure god of the dwarves) and Fharlang (the Wanderer). Both have access to protection spells such as resist energy and endure elements. They both prefer to have different spells prepared though. The party consist:

Roondar (Roonwickets brother), a gnome beguiler. Very skilled in finding traps, lies and enchanting people. To me one of the more good aligned characters. In person he wasn't participating (but his character did) so couldn;t stand against the nomads with regards to the slaves.

-> Roondar has dominated (by the 3.5 spell 'dominate person') Phineus Von Wonderwun, an old guy formerly leader of a thieves guild (Geoff patriots who wanted to kill the Gran March ruler Sir Horice Amstide). He is walking with them, waiting to be killed basically.

Sam the Halfling, a cunning sorcerer. Strives for wealth and power. Woman fit in that picture, slave or no slave. Has neutral alignment.

Alex, a human priest of Fharlang. Is a combat medic type of priest and loves the heal and help people. Has also neutral alignment and he doesn;t really care who is on the good or evil side.

Telc the Shaper, a psion shaper who is very quit. I picture him the Eunuch type guys from Song of Blood and Ice (book of G.R.R. Martin, a must read!). His morality his very vague to me. I guess he rather mates his ectoplastic shaped beings than worrying about slave trade.

Thorgan the Dwarf, loose part of the Knight of the Dispatch. I would assume he worried most about the slaves but didn't. He actually tried to kill one the slaves!! I am thinking what to do with him as he definately forgot his knight code. Ideas?

Your comparisons do not say me much as I do not know one of them except Gladiator which I like. Glad you're enjoying!

Last edited by Sander_Kaa on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:58 pm  

Well maybe the slave gets free and is rescued by a Knight of the Dispatch looking for Thorgan in hopes his fellow knight has not fallen. When the slave sees Thorgan he mention to the other knight of the Dispatch that this dwarf was going to take his life and he fears him. Then maybe their could be a confrontation verbal and or physical. Depends if you what him to make penance and whether or not the PC realizes this and wants to make amends for his failings in the past.

Later

Argon
    CF Admin

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:03 am  

I've always had a large fondness for UK6 All the Glitters, which has always struck me as a very useful module to place into the Sea of Dust area. The magical conveyances described in the adventure are pretty cool, and had a very Suloise feel to me. May be useful inspiration for your adventures, Sander_Kaa.

And, as a general FYI, the Yellow, Purple, and Orange dragons were originally written up in Dragon 65. Definitely worth checking out. (And the electrum appeared in Dragon 74).

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:13 am  

grodog wrote:
    I've always had a large fondness for UK6 All the Glitters, which has always struck me as a very useful module to place into the Sea of Dust area.

And note that the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer basically canonized this as being set in the Sea of Dust by describing the Hek people from that module.
    GreySage

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:59 pm  

Sander-Kaa,

You wanted to know some of my plot ideas regarding your campaign with regards to the ruins within the Sea of Dust:

I am assuming you have either created your own set of ruins or plan to use a pre-existing one from a module or some other reference. Whatever the case, I am a fan for layering your ruins into a complex series of (ever-increasing?) challenges, starting with the surrounding environs. Make the characters work for whatever item, artifact, or treasure they may potentially discover. Don't hand them victory. In my mind, that only diminishes the adventure. If the PC's don't earn it, they shouldn't get the 'ultimate prize.'

There are several creatures or beings of substantial power to provide your high level PCs with a rigorous challenge, if you pull out all the proverbial stops. Here are some ideas:

1) The iconic figure of the game, a (blue?) dragon, of considerable age (enough for magic resistance to oppose your spell-casters, and with a lethal breath weapon and magic use of its own). This is actually my least favorite option for you, as most people may expect a game called "Dungeons and DRAGONS" to have one in it. Thusly, I find it almost cliche'. Nevertheless, there is it. If you do use a dragon, perhaps make it more of a random encounter near the ruins (with a nearby, hidden lair?) and use it as a red herring instead. Let your PCs think that this beast IS the primary monster of the region, only to discover, to their dismay (?) and shock, that it is NOT. Evil Grin Maybe the dragon only prowls around the surface of the ruins, not delving into the subterranean structure because it is too big OR because (unbeknownst to the PCs) there is something WORSE deeper inside. Wink Or maybe the dragon SERVES (willingly, or not) this other being...

My other dragon pick instead of a big blue would be a shadow dragon that DOES dwell within the ruins itself wherein it has made its lair. Perhaps over time a nexus to the Plane of Shadow opened, admitting this beast into the bowels of the ruins. So, too, could other creatures from this Plane...

2) A Beholder. I am currently, for the first time, running such a monster in a current game, as a 'behind the scenes' manipulator and quasi-Empire builder which will ONLY reveal itself after its minions and pawns have failed. With their staggering array of menacing magical powers (including Charm ability of both monsters AND human(oids)), a Beholder is a good choice for a creature lairing deep in the bowels of some ruins. Give it plenty of pawns (just not Undead, as I don't think they have any power over them) as well, especially if this creature has been in the ruins for a long while.

3) Another iconic figure, either a Suel Lich OR a Greater Mummy. Of course, this may be expected by your party. In either case, I'd have these undead horrors as remnants from the old Empire before it was destroyed. The lich could either be a powerful wizard OR a high priest (Wee Jas?) who entered undead status to protect, guard, or even resurrect the once vibrant, now lost, Suel Empire.
    Greater Mummies, according to the Monstrous Compendium, are powerful priests (again, Wee Jas would be a good pick) who guard and protect a given area. What better place than the ruins of a greater city with a former dedicated shrine or temple of its patron Power?
    In either case, if you go with the undead monster idea, make sure to stock them up on all sorts of undead minions (the greater mummy can make lesser, 'regular' mummies too). You could toss in some tougher undead like a ghost, vampire, or several spectres as 'generals' serving these two 'greater' Undead horrors. Ghouls, ghasts, wights, legions of skeletons and zombies...all cannon fodder.

4) Nothing spells EVIL more than a vile creature of the Lower Planes. Yes, a (greater!) demon, devil, or demodand. Evil Grin Such a truly malevolent being could have been summoned during the Rain of Colorless Fire, and survived. Or maybe it was summoned to guard. Or just perhaps this thing came of its own volition and found the ruins to its liking. Now it lies there, in a Kingdom of death, dust, and decay. It goes without saying that it should also have pawns, lackeys, and minions as well, most likely 'lesser' Lower Planar creatures. With their supernatural powers, defenses, and magical abilities, a fiend is a terrible foe to behold, and WORSE to confront for any party. If you are interested in this option, I have access to references of fiends (both Manual of the Planes and Monstrous Compendium: Planar Creatures) that may serve your purpose for picking the most reasonable choices...

These are just some ideas and suggestions, so take them or leave them, as you see fit.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:13 pm  

Well if your going the undead route I have a few ideas. Sand Wights creatures which cause dehydration by touch. Making them a frightening thing to deal with in the desert . The Ash-geist's the ashen dust which permeates the place holds psychic impressions often of children being burned and seeing their flesh melt as the rain hits them. Inflict pain of searing flesh need DC 15 Will save or suffer burning damage. Emotion control panic need a DC 15 will save or become shaken until a successful save is made. One may waste water trying to cool their flesh or simply be fearful of impending doom from the elements of the desert.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:42 pm  

It just keeps coming as of create water spell was cast by a lvl14 priest. I like it.

The Suel Lich I like alot. I like the Lich alot and picture the SoD the perfect place for such a creature. I will it very powerful. The minions will definiately consist of hordes of cannon fodder. The Sand Wight will be even more fearful. I like the dehydrating touch so much. Is it an existing monster or do we need to make it ourselves? No problem at all, the classic wight will be easily altered though.

The blue dragon I like alot. Big dragons do not occur that much in our game. Plus the dragon is a feared enemy of Xavier the Rich, he already mentioned vaguely that he has an enemy where he fights with.

I'll avoid the beholder and demons, the first I don't like that much and demons do not match my vision of the SoD.
    GreySage

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:04 am  

Liches are the Lords of the Undead, with powers the likes most mortals would (and should) never know. I can see your SoD lich as the remnant of the lost, old Empire. Perhaps a Suel mage or priest (you will have to decide which), either predicting the catacylsm of the Rain of Colorless Fire, OR surviving such a holocaust, turned to the dark arts for immortality. I suggest you give your Undead Lord a background story with a well-thought-out 'profile' (personality, motives, goals, etc.). Maybe a desire to resurrect the old Suel Imperium could be one goal...another could also be revenge against the Bakluni for devastating his former homeland. The possibilities are vast.

If you need any advice or suggestions regarding the Undead, I am sure we can fire countless barrages your way, if you like. I am not sure about you, but I have, both as player and as DM, encountered numerous types of Undead creatures, including in a current campaign in which my luckless fighter-priest of Trithereon is waging a war against a cult of Nerull. It's been a series of strokes and counterstrokes with numerous casualties on either side.

-til next time,

Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:03 pm  

Sander_Kaa.

Sand Wight is my idea feel free to tweak the wight it can work. If you want some more ideas just query.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:42 am  

It took such a long time before our lead-DM could not run a game. So the 'zandhappers' (Dutch accronym for something like dust-eaters) were digged out from our gaming stuff and we played again.

First of all this campaign has very good reputation in our group. This topic definately contributes to that!

Short writeup first:
    The group arrived with Xavier the Rich and his flying ship at the Null obelisk. This location was/is the only lead Xavier could give the group so they decided to give it a shot. They are still hunting Eclavdra, Obmi and Roonwicket (a former PC) who are said to look for the Suss Theorparts, an artifact of great power.

The obelisk a solid building with a small entry location. A gargoyle guarded the entrance and had some nice interaction with the PCs. In return for some food and water he could tell that since the re-landscaping of the lands not so many people visited. He told something about the dangers and the musical key of the obelisk. Ow, and three nomad-like people entered some days ago....

The PCs entered and ran into a room with 6 doors, leading to extradimension spaces where devils stood their ground. As the sea of dust is greatly reducing the arcane powers these rooms were finally in favour of the PCs as they could freely use arcane magic with nasty stuff happening. An ice devil, horned devil, bearded devil and yeth hounds later their is still one room to go. The PCs are depleted from their resources and know for some reason they have to push on to clear the fith room and open the 6th door before this guarding mechanism resets itself and the monsters are back again. What will the 5th room be like? The PCs fear a Pit Fiend...

I assume the PCs will enter the obelisk further and will run into the real inhabitants of the obelisk. I am working on fleshing out more.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:45 am  
    Other Material...

If you're okay importing material written for DarkSun or FR, you might also check out GAZ2 material if you can. Mystara has flying "skyship" rules which are not SpellJammer ships but are similiar.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:46 pm  
    and...

..and the desert adventure included in AC7 has a monolith in the middle of the desert.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:25 am  

After reading some stuff about devils I decided to offer the PCs a Faustian pact. Never happened in our game and I think this is the moment.

The last room will not hold a Pit Fiend, but a harvester devil. As this is the last door and the PCs are running out of resources it is the spot for a devil offering great rewards for just selling your soul.

This is a mature game so no problems going all out. I have a reputation by the way Evil

The first challenge is: how will the devil look like. Stereotype beatiful woman would fit but is a little bit too... well obvious.

Then how will the pact look like? I've read some 3.5 books giving me opportunities differing from extra feats, XP, money, spell slots etc. I think Roondar (the brother of the ex-PC Roonwicket) is really willing to save his brother and is as a plus, very power-oriented. What will we offer? I like a Faustian pact which has several steps and corresponding rewards.

Feel free to add you ideas!
    GreySage

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:48 pm  

As for the pact, I suggest you cook up an offer that provides a constant benefit, not a one-time benefit.

For example, the PC could gain a 10% bonus on all experience points earned in any encounter in which he performed some evil act. Or, the PC's prime ability score improves by 4 for 10 rounds each time he performs an evil act. Remember, the devil wants to seal the contract by tempting the PC to actually become evil. In a fantasy world, it may be possible that a PC who has lived a virtuous life after signing a faustian pact could have some divine being intervene and rescue his soul. If, however, the PC has given in to temptation and commited so many evil acts to gain the benefits of the pact that his alignment becomes evil, no such intervention is likely to occur.

If you want to be more sneaky, the pact could provide the PC with an intelligent, evil, magical item with an ego high enough to control the PC ocassionally. Thus, the PC is forced to commit evil acts by the item whether he wants to or not. The PC need not be informed of the evil intelligence of the item even. The devil offers the PC a +3 Defending Frostbrand with a special purpose to destroy all Demons. He doesn't tell the PC the weapon is intelligent and lawfully evil aligned. Evil Grin

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:31 pm  

Sander_Ka

The reward can be anything you can imagine. Heck, the by product of the deal is this. The demon will not be sent back to its home plane. Instead he can deal a pc's soul which takes his place. The only true way to send the demon back mis for the PC's to defeat him. Then all will be sent to its home plane. Where a climatic battle ensues. PC's who die on the demons home plane are stuck their for eternity. While those that defeat him or it are free of their pact and lose whatever power they attained.

However, they must now rule in the demons place. While they are free to travel back to the prime plane if killed or banished they return to the demon's home plane until another demon defeats them and assumes power in that plane.

I know its evil, but thats what happens when you make pacts with demons.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:10 am  

@Argon: you're talking about Demons, I do not know so much about them.

@SirXaris: Love your ideas.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:14 am  

Sander_Kaa,

Just replace Demon with Devil. They both fight against each other in the Blood War. Demon are the chaotic side of evil Devils are the lawful side of evil.

I hope this helps.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:30 pm  

Sander-Kaa,

Do you happen to own a copy of the Monstrous Compendium which contains the Outer Planes fiends? There is a veritable treasure trove of nasty yugoloths (daemons), gehreleths (demodands), tanar'ri (demons), and baatezu (devils) therein. One of those foul beasts may strike your fancy and the information entries are useful with respect to their powers, immunities, and general characteristics.

Covert, manipulative, cunning evil is always more insidious since it corrupts slowly, without any signs, much like Emperor Palpatine (Darth Sidious), rather than the brutal, overt evil seen by Darth Maul.

I also like the idea of an intelligent, malevolent item (weapon, armor, jewelry, whatever) being the agent of evil instead of some being of the Lower Planes.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:43 pm  

Sander_Kaa,

Mentioned the Devil. I just wanted to give him the idea on what approach he may take, as he likes a Faustian type pact. Who knows the party might actually wind up helping to resurrect the Horned Society.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:02 pm  

Devils aren't the only fiends that make pacts...just ask Iggwilv and Iuz.
    In fact, that is the primary role of glabrezu (and they are demons)!

The main difference between devils and demons is their alignment, and thus, their hierarchical structure and how they operate between themselves and conduct 'business' with others...always to their own benefit of course!

Evil Grin

However, if you (Sandar_Kaa) insist on a devil (Lawful Evi), then your best bet as a wheeler and dealer with corrupting mortals is the erinyes.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:23 pm  

Great minds think alike Lanthorn.

I mentioned the demon and Sander-Kaa was not familiar with demons so I went back to his Devil choice.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:59 am  

Thanks for helping me understanding the difference between devils and demons.

I'll stick with Devils as we already explorerd chaotic evil in our campaign alot. Yesterday I've read Fiendish Codex II, a 3.5 book full of hellish material. I do not own Monstrous Compendium but have the impression both books cover partly the same ground. I favor Erinyes too, as they can present a faustian pact.

Obmi, the dwarf which they 'rescued' out the prison of King Snurre is one the main enemies of this party. It would be neat to have him captured by the Erinye in order to tempt the PCs into torturing him. He has enough information about the whereabouts of Roonwicket (the former PC which they want to save from doing great evil!) and the party will be keen on paying him back for his betrayals.

Some questions: Can this Obmi be a disguised person as I do not plan to have him really captured by the Erinye? Does the devil have enough powers to do such a thing?

And how do the devil know the background of the PCs?

It come slowly to my mind that the sea of dust I created is already pretty evil, the nomads hold slaves, Xavier the Rich sells for ridiculous prices (and maybe is paying the devil society as part of his Faustian pact?).
    GreySage

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:17 am  

I occurs to me that Obmi already fooled the party into thinking he was a captive once before (of the fire giants). Wouldn't it be cool if he pulled off such a scam again on the same group? Evil Grin

Obmi is in on the plan with the Erinyes. He wants to trick the party into evil acts in order to blackmail them with it later. He has an escape route planned, so they can't kill him or keep him hostage, but he will allow them to torture him a bit. According to the Gord books, Obmi owned a Ring of Vampiric Regeneration. He'll have it hidden somewhere on his person (though not worn), so that he can use it to fully heal himself as soon as he makes his escape. That way, he isn't worried about whatever kinds of torture the party may inflict upon him.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:32 pm  

Obmi is also an agent of Iuz as cited in Iuz the Evil on page 90 as a member of the secret group known as the Boneshadow. According to this (AWESOME) guide, the dwarf is an 11th lvl fighter, owns a dwarven throwing hammer (magic item), and is a brutal warrior.

It is true he is featured in the Gord books, serving Iuz.

I will check out the powers of the erinyes devil and fill you in on what I discover. That may help me to answer your other questions...

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:49 pm  

S_K,

Regarding the Erinyes (seems to be both singular and plural), here is some information that you may find useful with regard to their powers and abilities to further your own nefarious designs: Evil Grin

They can telepathically communicate with any sentient being, but prefer direct speech.

At will, they can cause anything viewing them to save vs wands or flee for 1-6 rounds. They also carry a Rope of Entanglement at all times.

They possess a very potent Charm Person ability allowing them to affect any being THEY glance at (do not need to lock eyes) to save vs spells at half their level! The range is 60 feet. Only one victim can be affected at a time (luckily), but they will serve the devil to death, or until released (there ya go, buddy!).

Erinyes possess the innate abilities to perform the following feats of magic, at will, one at a time, one per round: Detect Invisibility, Invisibility, Locate Object, Polymorph Self (another great way to fool your players!), Produce Flame, Advanced Illusion (!!!), Animate Dead, Infravision, Know Alignment (always active), Suggestion, and Teleport without Error.

They can also gate other devils to their aid, if needed: 1-8 spinagons (50% chance) OR 1-4 barbazu (35% chance) but only once per day.

This should give you a good idea what they can do! If you need more information (there's more to offer about special immunities and other stats), let me know.

-Lanthorn, from the Planes of 2e
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:12 pm  

Erinyes,

Can cast minor image and have True seeing active constantly in 3E. Telepathy 100ft can also charm monster, greater teleport, unholy blight. Damage reduction 5/good immunity to fire and poison resistance to acid 10 and cold 10. Spell resistance 20 and dark vision 60ft.

They have a Charisma score of 20 and Diplomacy skill +7 also any two knowledge skills at +14. Not that it matters with PCs though you can see how persuasive they can be.

On another note since Obmi serves Iuz it would make sense that the Erinyes would like to take him out of the picture. Iuz is the son of a demon and a witch after all.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:03 am  

Nice catch regarding Obmi and the connection to Iuz. The Erinyes clearly have the powers to handle Obmi. As he is a fighter type guy he will be easily catched by a charm spell.

So let's try to make it all a little more solid. The 5th door is opening towards the premises of this Erinyes. She lives there and is most probably surrounded by some of her minions. The most powerfull one being an old Suel wizards who signed a faustian pact with the Erinyes. He has a safehouse and receives pleasures of the Erinyes but he has to serve her and is slowly corrupted to a lawful alignment. Of course she created some devils to accompany and serve her.

Eclavdra, Obmi and Roonwicket had to clean room 5 in order to enter the 6th door, futher into the Null Obelisk. Eclavdra negotiated with the devil a deal: she will enter the Null obelisk freely in return for Obmi. The deal is: The Erinyes is to keep Obmi for the same time Eclavdra spends in the Null obelisk between now and her stay. A deal which has abusing mechanism due to the fact the Null obelisk potentially allows timetravel. Obmi will not agree to this (of course) but is no more than a meatshield for Eclavdra. Besides Eclavdra is not working for Iuz but for her own purposes. Obmi will be charmed by the devil and is suddenly agreeing to the deal. He will stay for a while with the devil. He has a nice room, with two doors, one to the main room of the devil, one to a torture chamber as Obmi is promised to receive visitors which might need to use this room at one day. It will be a nasty surprise if the room is used for torturing him. Cool

As Obmi is a powerful guy the Erinyes wants him either dead or converted to LE. She will try the second thing for sure. The first she asks is to fool the PCs into letting him be tortured in return for a nice amulet to recover from his torture he is only to let him tortured in return for the gift. (he doesn't possess the amulet in my game so this is a good way of giving it)

A nice set-up for evil deeds of the PCs isn't it?

Please come up with suggestions. As I hate railroading I want to stay open for unexpected things. What will happen if the PCs use zone of truth and the like in order to question him?

Last edited by Sander_Kaa on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:59 am  

S_K,

Don't underestimate the powers of Obmi. As a dwarf, he gets a serious bonus to resist magic based on his Constitution (which I wouldn't put any lower than a 16).

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 pm  

We play 3.5 where Obmi has it's own will save and another +2 bonus against magical sources.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:07 pm  

I wonder if Obmi hammer does extra damage to Devils or maybe he is secretly transporting an object that does harm devils which would make it pertinent that the Erinyes prevents Obmi from delivering his cargo.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:48 pm  

This is a nice source for some of our thoughts: http://home.comcast.net/~chris.s/iuz.html

Quote:
    c. Sea of Death: a magical martel (war hammer - a short handled, hammer backed military pick) +5, given to him by Iggwilv, special ability: slay devils. It is silver inlayed and forged of latten (a copper tin alloy) so it is non-magnetic. It is not affected by iron eaters or rusters. Iggwilv and Zuggtmoy also give him a hat of disguise. Boots of speed.

Obmi has indeed this hammer with anti-devil powers.

Quote:
    After joining with Iuz, he became a member of Iuz's Secret Circle and was assigned with the task of retrieving the Suss Theorpart.

As Iuz wants to have this artifact for it;s own purposes (to raise his godhood status) stopping Obmi is very satisfactionary for the Erinyes.

Eclavdra, being chaotic evil is just too powerful for the Erinyes (especially with the back-up of Roonwicket).
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:50 pm  

Sander_Kaa,

Nice find! I wonder if I read that before seems weird it follows my suggestion quite well. Wink

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:30 am  

After months our group was finally able to continue this campaign as our main DM wanted some time for preparing his own campaign.

What happened so far:

Roonwicket, Eclavdra and Obmi ran into mansion of the Erinyes and her followers and lover, a Suel wizard. The Erinyes (with class level, hell yeah) tried to detect thougts Obmi, and succeeded. As Roonwicket and Eclavdra recognized the devil (they have loads of ranks in the relevant knowledge skills) they didn't feel well to deal with the devil. Obmi was charmed pretty easily but Roonwicket managed to release Obmi from this enchantment and they got away. No deals, no Faustian pact.

The group managed to continue to the center of Null Obelisk and finally reached the colossal harmonious gate. Eclavdra retrieved her captured bard by some greater teleport spells and forced her to play the gigantic musical instrument (see the Age of Glory fanmade adventure for details, it's worth it). The group saw itself moved to the times of the Suel empire, eager to map the environments and find the original location of the Suss Theorparts.

The party of PCs tried to chase the evil party into the Null Obelisk, and ran into the Erinyes too. Very nice roleplaying occured and especially Sam Shortwick a halfling and Alex the cleric were eager to see what the devil had to offer. The devil bluffed them into having captured people (after detect thought on them) and that she has Obmi in the torture room, available for some retribution acts. Thorgan and Roondar were upset and walked away, finally able to keep the others from bargaining with the devil. Especially Sam seems eager to return.

The managed to solve the riddles of a sfinx and defeated a massive game of chess. They chased the group of Roonwicket as they found a way to see the music last played on the harmonious gate. They stepped into an old Suel city, full of pureblooded Suel. As they are no citizens of the Suel empire they will have problems soon with the authorities.

What comes next: The PCs have plenty of money, different from the coinage of the Suel. They will find ways to buy stuff. As this is the age of glory I want very alienate magic items. I plan to go full stop with this :)

Secondly they are not welcome in the normal districts of the Suel cities but only in the humanoid district. Catching some lvl15 adventures will not be so easy though. Will invisible city guard wizards fly above the city quarters or will the guards have magic wands of whoop **** (antimagic field cages or the like?)
    GreySage

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 am  

Sounds like fun, Sander_kaa. Smile If you haven't seen Maldin's Greyhawk, I highly suggest you check out the links to The Scoll of Dust and Secrets of the Twin Cataclyms found here: http://melkot.com/epic.html.

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:19 am  

Thanks for pointing out Maldins Greyhawk. I already checked his site and have chosen to implement some of his ideas into our campaign. I like the cube with the shadow inside and the magic items presented.

The page with the scrolls of dust are new to me and I will give it a read.

Some problems which may occur are related to timetravel. The PCs with great knowledge are informed that they have to be very careful with changing history. I mean: what will happen if they buy this very magical sword which was used to slay a villain. Will the villain still live but was it slain by another sword (I rule: could be), but what if the parents of this the hero wielding it are slain before the hero was born? (I rule: very dangerous, cracks and breaks may occur in time which cause major problems. I plan to represent these kind of problems by real cracks which occur in the view of the PCs (think of glass plate with a crack in it, placed between you and what you look at). By this the PCs can decide how far they go.

But: I don't want to railroad them so if they decide to mess around and negating the cracks I want them to be able to. Will they make saves? Will the gods interact? What do you think?
    GreySage

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:07 am  

Okay, I thought that the link I provided above led to a synopsis of an adventure, but having read through Maldin's pages again, I can't find what I thought was there.

What I wanted you to see was what someone wrote up long ago about taking his players through an adventure he wrote wherein they travel back in time, find themselves within the Suel Imperium a few weeks before the Twin Cataclysms, and attempt to prevent the catastrophe from happening. Unfortunately, in warning both the Suel and Baklunish governments of what they claim is a future event, they convince both that the other nation is really about to launch a catastrophic magical assault upon their own nation. The Suel utilize the Codex of Infinite Planes to launch a pre-emptive strike against their enemies and the Baklunish, who were trying to do the same thing, launch their own strike (the Rain of Colorless Fire) in retaliation. (A fantasy version of nuclear war.)

The PCs may magically escape before being consumed by the twin cataclysms, but they return to their own time with the sickening knowledge that it was their naive attempt to change history that actually caused the Twin Cataclysms to occur. Shocked

I loved it. Evil Grin

If someone knows where I can find a copy of that synopsis, I'd sure appreciate a link.

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:54 am  

SirXaris, the fan-made adventure Age of Glory actually overlaps with the story you recall very much: http://www.greyhawkonline.com/canonfire/RR_001_Suel_Imperium_-_Age_of_Glory.pdf

I run this and swapped the Scarlet Brotherhood for the group of Obmi, Eclavdra and Roonwicket. I have those three looking for the original location of the Suss Theorpart in able to retrieve this in the current year.
    GreySage

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:31 pm  

Thanks SK! That is exactly the adventure I recalled, but could no longer find. I even remembered the steel dragons at the end. Smile

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:59 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    If you can get your hands on a copy of B4, The Lost City, it has an extensive lost civilization briefly described mapped in its appendix.

I recall being very non-plussed about that module (maybe it's my own shortcomings). I just re-read most of it, and I'm still not able to get into its groove.

Sander_Kaa, if you want "The Lost City", PM your address to me, and I'll send it.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: