Username Password
  or Create an Account
Welcome to... Canonfire! World of GreyhawK
Features
Greyhawk Wiki

#greytalk-discord
    JOIN THE CHAT
    Canonfire :: View topic - The "Introduce Yourself" Thread
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    The "Introduce Yourself" Thread [ Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next]
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 08, 2012 4:43 pm  

Sorry, I thought I had already replied to this.

First Name? Stephen (prounced with 'v', but spelled with 'ph')
    Age? 43, but will turn 44 in November of this year
    Location? Purvis, Mississippi, in the Grand Ole US of A
    When you started playing D&D? 1986
    What rules you started with? AD&D (1st)
    where does your Forum Nick come from? Ah. Arminas was the name of my very first D&D character, a lawful evil monk. His story can be found on these boards here: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4981

Master Arminas
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 14, 2012 2:35 pm  

First Name?
    Mark

Age?

Location?
    San Francisco

When you started playing D&D?

What rules you started with?
    Basic (the boxed set with the big red dragon on it)

where does your Forum Nick come from?
    Name of an olven NPC I had in a campaign some time ago.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 21, 2012 3:50 pm  

First Name? Josh

Age? 37

Location? Grovespring, Missouri, USA

When you started playing D&D? 1989 or 1990

What rules you started with? AD&D 2e

Where does your Forum Nick come from? It came from a character I made but never got to play. I liked the name so I use it.

Julian<div><br /></div><div><br /></div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 31, 2012 7:39 pm  

First name: Greg
    When you started playing D&D? 1988 - I was in 6th grade and I played a gnome thief named Worg. We were attacked by giant ants. Somehow I got a pet pseudodragon.
    What rules you started with? AD&D 1E
    Where does your Forum Nick come from? Short for Nerd Cavalry
    Forum Moderator

Thu May 31, 2012 8:13 pm  

Heya nerdcav, welcome to Canonfire!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:58 pm  

First Name? Ty
    Age? 43
    Location? Indy area, USofA
    When you started playing D&D? 1979ish
    What rules you started with? Basic--blue box. Played it all wrong, and it was so right. Tremendous fun.
    where does your Forum Nick come from? My name. I'm one of those 'middle name guys.'
    GreySage

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:38 pm  

Hello again nerdcav and welcome.

jtylerk, it's great to meet you here on Canonfire! Hope you feel comfortable posting your questions and input in our forums.

Both of you are hereby invited to join us for Greytalk Chat on Thursday nights. The link is to your left under the Greyhawk Wiki link.

SirXaris
    Novice

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:09 pm  

First Name? Jon
    Age? 40.
    Location? Midwest, USA.
    When you started playing D&D? 1983.
    What rules you started with? Red Boxed-Set but quickly moved to 1rst Ed. Advanced. However I stuck with 2E since it came out and just continue to tweek that set.
    Where does your Forum Nick come from? My most-powerful Greyhawk character
    GreySage

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:14 pm  

Huzzah! Another 2e convert! Happy Welcome aboard, JonJon!

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:30 pm  

Hello JonJon! We're glad to welcome you to Canonfire! Hope to see more of your posts soon.

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:03 pm  

First name: Charles

When you started playing D&D? Yeesh... 1984, if memory serves.

What rules you started with? Expert set with some older kids in Philadelphia, PA [USA]. Sure, we played it ½ wrong but I fell in love with the game, regardless.

Where does your Forum Nick come from? A character I played in the original Against the Giants series.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:53 pm  

Hey DrassustheGaunt,

Its nice to meet a fellow Jersey person in here. Welcome aboard!

I can see you joined a while ago why don't you join us for the Thursday nights chat. All you have to do is follow the link to your left and your ready to join the Greytalk chats.

Jon Jon and Jtylerk your welcome as well! Nerdcav perhaps we will see you again on the chat this Thursday.

Later

Argon

Last edited by Argon on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:56 pm  

Argon wrote:
    Hey DrassustheGaunt,

Its nice to meet a fellow Jersey person in here. Welcome aboard!

Many thanks!

I'll def check out the chat.

Yes, I joined a long time ago but fell right out (life's been rough - but who can't understand that, these days, right?)

I gave a longer intro titled "I owe Larry Elmore money" if you feel like checking it out:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=51476#51476

Again, thanks for the warm welcome. Smile
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:23 am  

DrassustheGaunt wrote:
    First name: Charles

When you started playing D&D? Yeesh... 1984, if memory serves.

What rules you started with? Expert set with some older kids in Philadelphia, PA [USA]. Sure, we played it ½ wrong but I fell in love with the game, regardless.

Where does your Forum Nick come from? A character I played in the original Against the Giants series.

...and we're not too tired to sleep.

I knew that tagline was familiar, but I had to look it up... Happy
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:30 am  

jamesdglick wrote:

...and we're not too tired to sleep.

I knew that tagline was familiar, but I had to look it up... Happy

Cool.

Glad someone caught it. Cool
    Novice

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:32 pm  

First name: Thomas

When you started playing D&D? Ahhmmm... maybe 1993!!

Red Boxed-Set 1rst Ed. I love 2E and I'm still playing this ed with my friends.

Where does your Forum Nick come from? True name of the Justicar.. maybe..
    GreySage

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:08 am  

Welcome to Canonfire Evelyn! Feel free to jump right into the forum conversations. Smile

SirXaris
    CF Admin

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:32 pm  

Hey folks. Lanthorn encouraged me to post here, so here goes.

First Name? Marc, but nowadays I normally go by Marc-Tizoc (first and middle names, which are from the French and Nahuatl languages, the latter being of the indigenous Mexica or Aztec people). (My grandparents all immigrated to the U.S. from México during the Mexican Revolution.)

Age? 37.

Location? Miami, Florida (nearby).

When you started playing D&D? Trying to answer this question accurately stumped me as I tried to stroll down memory lane, led me to study the Acaeum (which was fascinating), etc.

My best answer is that I was probably introduced to AD&D in 1982 or '83 by a neighborhood friend who was five years older than me (and whose older brother had introduced him). By '85, I had received as gifts (or purchased with carefully saved allowance) all of the extant hardcover AD&D books but very few modules because my initial purchases included the World of Greyhawk boxed set, which sparked and fed many an adventure for my friends.

I quickly became our regular DM and designed my own dungeons, towns, etc. far more often than I bought a module. Although I read the few that I bought with interest, as well as the few that Dragon published, I didn't collect Dungeon for many years -- for the same reason of enjoying immensely the creation of my own adventures / stories / situations. (I did find the adventure cards from City of Greyhawk and From the Ashes helpful in sparking ideas for me to develop.)

What rules you started with? AD&D, aka 1e. I transitioned to 2e having never played Basic D&D and resparked DMing in GH with the publication of Carl Sargent's From the Ashes with which I introduced a whole new group of players to GH who had previously played mostly in the Forgotten Realms setting.

After several years of 2e gaming, I moved away from my hometown and hence stopped gaming regularly until the launch of 3e (and its evolution to 3.5e), which I used to play new GH campaigns. (Over the years I also played numerous other RPGs published by Chaosium, FASA, Games Workshop, Hero Games, R. Talsorian Games, Steve Jackson Games, White Wolf, etc.)

I found the online Greyhawk community in 1998 when I came across the GREYALL.txt file and the old TSR folder on AOL. After lurking briefly, I began posting, and by 1999, I was GreyTalking regularly on the old listserv. (Lament the loss of Morgan Olden's GreyTalk Archives!) I also sometimes posted on GH-L, and once 3e launched I engaged the WotC fora too, as well as ENWorld a little. (Wow, I just found the GH-L archive, http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/greyhawk-l.html!) Sometime in 2000 I started helping with the second volume of the Oerth Journal. I can't believe how many issues the community has produced since! Of course, I joined Canonfire! immediately upon learning of its launch. Cool

I merely dabbled in LGH, so once the Living Greyhawk Journal stopped being published, I started falling behind the times and instead focused on my own campaigns (The Fall of Prym, set in the southern Wild Coast before the Greyhawk Wars, and Shadows on the March, set in Sterich after the GH Wars and based on Greg Vaughan's Dungeon adventures).

(I played 4e a few times with some former players in my last GH campaign but found the system lacking and inhibiting what I enjoy about RPGs.)

Where does your Forum Nick come from A simple acronym from my initials; I sometimes also post under Tizoc or Tizoc the Olman Scribe, after a long ago GT list discussion, where Gary Welsh responded wrly (in-character) to one of my queries on his posts about Night Hags of the Pomarj.

PS - I left the online GH community in 2006 and only returned tentatively to CF! last December, as evidenced in masterarminas's thread, I have returned!, but first the holidays and then work quickly ebbed my effort to return to the hobby. Now it looks like I'm here to stay -- though I'm unlikely to make a Thursday 'chat and likely will post less often once the academic year begins in a couple of weeks.
    GreySage

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:50 pm  

Someone actually listened to me?! Shocked

Welcome back to the proverbial fold, our Olman immigrant. I assume...hope?... your patron Power must be Quetzalcoatl, and that you are not secretly a yuan-ti pureblood. Wink

I enjoyed reading your very extensive, informative background, particulaly your fascinating ethnic roots. Too, I glean that you must be a scholar.

Glad you are back among us, granted, of course, that you are not one of the 'snake-men' of the equatorial jungles... (don't get me wrong, though, I love reptiles)

yours in Oerth,

-Lanthorn, Summoner of mtg
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:02 pm  

mtg,

I was trying to remember whom you were. You have contributed some articles to the site as well from what I remember. Though I remember your Tizoc handle more than the current one your holding. Welcome back to the site. It's great to have you back.

Later

Argon
    CF Admin

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:15 pm  

Quote:
    mtg wrote:
    Hey folks. Lanthorn encouraged me to post here, so here goes.

Lanthorn wrote:
    Someone actually listened to me?! Shocked

So are we supposed to be re-introducing ourselves again, then? ;)

Good to see you again, Marc! :D

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:44 am  

Hey Allan! Yes, there original poster asked five questions, and folks have elaborated on them somewhat since.

Thanks Argon and Lanthorn. I'm definitely enjoying the return to CF! and the hobby of the imagination in general.

Lanthorn, I never developed the Tizoc the Olman Scribe character in detail but imagined he might be a wizard / cleric of Queztalcoatl. I'll have to think more about the yuant-ti pureblood angle ... Evil Grin
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:03 am  

First Name: Sander
    Location; The Netherlands
    When you started playing D&D? June 2003
    What rules you started with? D&D 3.5 (which we are still playing) with some houserules such as Tier-system and many closed feats, classes and spells.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:36 am  

Wow ... it's really neat to go back to look at all of these newer posts ... it seems like forever that this thread opened up. Shocked \

mtg ... you know, I'd always assumed that it was "Magic: The Gathering". Hm. Learned something new.
    GreySage

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:02 am  

We can credit DarkHerald (where the Hades is he these days?!) for this growing, comaraderie-building, informational, and ingenius thread. I encourage all new posters, whenever I come upon them (rarely before Argon or SirXaris, it seems), to add to this list.

Perhaps we should have a separate thread, along these same lines, about where we are headed, or updates???

Look back at the earlier posts, and see how far we've come and grown.

thanks Rory!

-Lanthorn (Jason)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next]
    Page 6 of 16

Jump to: