or Create an Account
Welcome to... Canonfire! World of GreyhawK
Features
Greyhawk Wiki

#greytalk-discord
    JOIN THE CHAT
    Canonfire :: View topic - Anna's Atlas of the Flanaess
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Anna's Atlas of the Flanaess [ Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26, 27, 28  Next]
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:04 pm  

Back in my day, we only had hand drawn/colored maps, and we liked it!

Oh, how you spoil the Greyhawk n00bs, Anna. Well, and us too. Laughing

I ran quite a few adventures in this area of the Flanaess, so this brings back a lot of memories. Makes me want to DM those adventures all over again.

Thanks, and keep up the great work! Cool

Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:08 pm  

Great work playing with CC3 (dont know what you use), I can only imagine how time consuming this is. I'm happy now, my favorite dungeon the Lost Caverns is portrayed.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:50 am  

Beautiful, to see the adventure locations a mountain-style map it reminds me of the fact how remotely located they are. It must be quite a hike to reach some of them.
    GreySage

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:04 pm  

Sighs and shakes his head at "Stron-Uberfart."

Beautiful maps, though.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:10 pm  

I agree Rasgon, its not Greyhawky at all IMHO. Luckily its not mentioned in any of the LG modules so I can either remove it or change shorten it to Stron perhaps?
    Paladin

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:46 pm  

The Great Oz (ette) opens the curtain abit......

Was perusing the postings of one of our favorite Cartographers.. Cool
    In this posting she reveals how a bit of the magic is created....
    Cool
    Sorry in advance Anna... Couldn't resist.. I thought many would wonder at the amount of detailed effort you go thru for a single mountain...

http://ghmaps.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Bryce-tutorial1.pdf
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:07 pm  

Thank you for holding the fort for me Lord_Dark_Galen!

I'm sorry I haven't been posting here in a while. So here is a project update.

I have covered roughly 80% of the Flanaess and have been hard at work on the northern part of the Sheldomar Valley with Bissel, Gran March and the Valley of the Mage the last couple of weeks.

From now on I have decided to switch my workflow from CorelDraw to Illustrator. Its something I had planned to do for the final map a long time back , but I have decided to switch now rather than waiting. I realized that instead of making the small area maps until I get them all done will save me a bit of time now, but it will be a huge operation to convert everything later. I decided to convert what I've done so far and then do the rest in the "new" way. That will mean a week or so of conversion work before I can move on to new things.

So now you probably wonder why go to all the trouble of changing to a new set of tools. Several reasons, first and foremost I want to be able to have everything in one master map, one place to keep updated and corrected. That way I can much easier just define an area I'm interested in and export it to make a special map with very little work. Everything from local maps with extra details to large area overview maps can be made in a couple of minutes. I can also make them look much more polished with text and symbols having the final look.

It will also be much easier to add overlays with hexes, range circles or other grids and such. Plus I can export them with a much improved style over all. You will be fed updated symbols and map styles that I want your input on. My goal is for the Greyhawk community to have a set of campaign maps that are as good as the best both in style and in content, with your critique I hope I can start delivering that withing a couple of weeks.

Thanks again for all your support!
    Anna
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:02 am  

Nice! Very nice! An added hex grid layer with the vertical/horizontal number-letter keys along the edges would be a very, very nice thing to add. The Church of Greyhawk may very well have to canonize you once you are done. Laughing

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:38 pm  

as always, thank you very much.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:28 pm  

Anna wrote:
    I agree Rasgon, its not Greyhawky at all IMHO. Luckily its not mentioned in any of the LG modules so I can either remove it or change shorten it to Stron perhaps?

I actually went with Strönburg to follow the Austrian / German influences. With the rough translation meaning Keep or Castle of Strön. Which I made one of the matrilineal families in Perrenland.
    Though maybe its a local "slang" for the foul winds that prevail from Lake Quag at certain times of the year? Razz
    Master Greytalker

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:44 pm  

Anna wrote:
    My goal is for the Greyhawk community to have a set of campaign maps that are as good as the best both in style and in content,

That is the biggest understatement I've ever read! Your maps are the best, most complete, detailed, beautiful maps I have ever seen. I noted a few tiny things in them that I created years ago, around the Verbobonc area. It is like having some small part to play in a true epic, like being the guy that washed Michaelangelo's brushes. I am honored that even one dot on your maps represents something of mine. Your work is beyond words. Thank you for it.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:12 pm  

Thanks all of you for all your encouragement!! Happy
    Took me a couple of days to answer, I'm on a short vacation driving up the Californian coast to spend a day or two around San Fransisco. then it's back home to my desk to work on bite Sheldomar Vallley.

On my website http://ghmaps.net you can find a preview of the updated style and a how far I've come.

There will be new detailed maps of Veluna, Bissel and Greand March in about two weeks.

Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:43 pm  

Holy Cats Anna!

I finally made it to this thread, then to your website...I am just amazed! You are so very talented! Speaking as someone who can only draw flies, I am just plain impressed!

And speaking as Greyhawk old-timer, thank you for the work you're doing!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:56 pm  

Thanks bugsy! Smile

So time for some updates. First you can have a look at the latest version of my campaign map. It has some non canon stuff added, but it might be of interest anyway.

You can download the full size map here: http://ghmaps.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Campaign-map130227.zip

The next is an updated map of Veluna, this time complete!

Full size version here: http://ghmaps.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Veluna-130221.jpg

and a initial map of Bissel!

Full size version here: http://ghmaps.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Bissel3.jpg

These maps all have the a new updated map style as well as presentation. I'm still tweaking with with the looks. I have migrated all my work to Adobes Illustrator and Photoshop to be able to produce better looking maps easier and faster. These are the first results of that migration. I will add more complete and better looking headers and footers soon, and also release a new legend explaining my new styled maps.

After years of struggle and hard work my Flanaess mapping project are on the home stretch, and I hope to finish the mapping part in a couple of months. Then comes the next phase creating the various ways the maps will be printed or digitally used. Thanks to Illustrator and Photoshop and the format I'm working in now I can use the map in lots of different ways without too much hassle.

So I will soon look into wall maps and other printed versions like a notebook and some other cool ideas, and digital versions and for use in Realm Works.

Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:02 pm  

I LOVE the new map style! *frog-thumbs up*
    GreySage

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:28 pm  

Two non-webbed thumbs up!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:14 pm  

Thank you Rasgon and bullywug Happy

Here are some more:

Gran March:

Full size JPG: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/296601/Gran%20March%20130327.jpg

Geoff

Full Size JGP: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/296601/Geoff130323.jpg

Valley of the Mage

Full size JPG: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/296601/Valley%20of%20the%20Mage%20130328.jpg

These are all first version previews. I haven't spent time and effort on making PDF versions of these maps yet. I want to give you the experts as much time as possible to weed out all the errors, while I continue to map the remaining parts.

Right know i'm working with Keoland, Sterich, Yeomanry and all the damn mountains in the area Wink

There will be layered versions and many other cool maps once all this is done.

Anna
    GreySage

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:40 pm  

Thank you for all your hard work, Anna. Happy

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 pm  

Great work! I'm anxiously waiting for the great day that I can see Sterich and Keoland in such high-quality maps. This is simply amazing.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:03 pm  

Anna, where did you get the names you used in Gran March?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:22 pm  

First here is a "exlusive" Wink first look at Keoland and Sterich:

A bigger jpg here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/296601/Keoland%20preview1.jpg

It is an early screenshot with many things missing and a rough terrain. This is my "first run" with a terrain that is rough and are missing parts. In this stage I'm mostly trying to make sure that all the major features are in the right place.
    If you know my previous work you notice that I have redone large parts of the Uleks and practically the whole of southern Keoland than I had done earlier. The western slopes of the Lortmill's and the Duchy and County of Ulek where one of the earliest areas I did back in 99' and they where too big and way off west. I've known this for a long time but waited with it until it was time to do the rest of the Sheldomar Valley, which is now.
    I think I got the scale and placement right now, so I'm just about to move in and start work on getting the smaller details right and work on the terrain to get it to look really good.
    The Gran March names and details are from the LG campaign. I have read every page of all modules and looked at their official campaign map. there where a few inconsistencies that I have tried to solve the best I could. There are also a few places that are referenced in the text but doesn't appear on any of the maps, and I've tried to use the text as a guide to my placement.
    The excellent Gran March project that I think you're a part of Anced_Math I decided to leave out of this version of my map. Not because I think it is bad in any way, but it competes with the LG content. My priority are:
    1. Published source books and modules
    2. Living Greyhawk modules and source material
    3. Well made fanon.
    If the fan made material adds to the other content, like adding towns and names to areas without features in 1 or 2 I add it to my map. But there are some great fan made stuff that are a replacement in which case I'm not using it. But don't despair!
    When I'm done with the whole map and when my Flanaess mapping project move in to Stage 3 I will start releasing all my source material, so anyone who wants to can make their own versions. My project goals and status are available here: http://ghmaps.net/?page_id=600

Thanks again for all your support!!

Anna
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 pm  

I liked the preview a lot! There is a hq map of Keoland in Wizards' website which I have used, but your version looks better in usability and appearance.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:37 am  

Oh boy. The Sea Princes and the Sheldomar are the areas that I'll be using in a few weeks. Starting in the Sea Princes, progressing north to Thornward, through Ket, and then it is into the exotic (and deadly) west for them...over the course of 10 adventures or so. I am going to be using whatever you have ready, Anna. Having all the little map details gathered into one place will no doubt save me vast amounts of time for reasons I have yet to even contemplate. I must say that the full-sized new style maps look beautiful. Wow, but does Bissel have some details! Cool

Also, I fixed the links to the full-sized Bissel and Veluna maps 9 posts above this one (they linked to thumbnails). I now know your secret "th" system. Wink Laughing

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:56 pm  

Thank you Cebrion for fixing the links!

Here comes Keoland and a updated look at Duchy of Ulek. So now I hope you have all your maps Cebrion, from the Hool to Thornward Smile

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Keoland130416-02.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Dunchy%20of%20Ulek130416-02.jpg

Now its off to Sterich Smile

Anna
    GreySage

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:26 pm  

Well, at least you're close to The Yeomanry! Laughing

Perhaps someday it will happen. Wink

Your work is as impressive as ever, Anna. I hope you never stop!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26, 27, 28  Next]
    Page 23 of 28

Jump to: