Username Password
  or Create an Account
Welcome to... Canonfire! World of GreyhawK
Features
Greyhawk Wiki

#greytalk-discord
    JOIN THE CHAT
    Canonfire :: View topic - Forum Topics by Region & Other Ideas for the New Year
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Help and Feedback
    Forum Topics by Region & Other Ideas for the New Year [ Previous  1, 2, 3]
    Author Message
    Grandmaster Greytalker

    Joined: Jul 10, 2003
    Posts: 1234
    From: New Jersey

    Send private message
    Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:37 pm  

    DLG,

    The Lgg forums are a good idea. Though after this length of time I think we could consolidate the forums into one LGG forum. Open the forum and then discuss your region. Hopefully, it expands after some time. I Just think some gems may need some additional polishing. Though that takes time.

    Later

    Argon
    Paladin

    Joined: Sep 07, 2011
    Posts: 831
    From: Houston Texas

    Send private message
    Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:18 am  
    2013 and New Ideas

    Argon Sat Jul 14, 2012 wrote:
    DLG,

    The Lgg forums are a good idea. Though after this length of time I think we could consolidate the forums into one LGG forum. Open the forum and then discuss your region. Hopefully, it expands after some time. I Just think some gems may need some additional polishing. Though that takes time.

    Just a "Resurrection" bump on this thread as the New Year is upon us.

    I still am of the opinion that this would be a good tool, but "we", currently, are comfortable with the arrangements as they are.

    The LGG Forum Sub-categories seem better suited to a repository of former LGG materials and reduced (as Argon suggests).

    First, most newer members are not familiar with the LGG subsections and so questions around differing regions still appear in the general discussions. ie the most recent being questions about ToEE and the Horned Society just to name a few.

    While it would require a change in the community culture to list these in their proper regions (thus making it a better regional research tool in the long run) the current choice is general it would seem.

    It is my continued hope we would make these categories not only a reference for former LGG materials, but a stomping ground for new ideas dedicated to those regions specifics, thus aiding DMs with interest in a specific region.

    Idea On to 2013 New Ideas Idea
    Perhaps a forum listing for support software's under "special projects"?

    In today's electronic age, there are lots of software to support the gamer. I realize that there have been submissions of various spreadsheets, etc. this could be one place to gather all in one spot and to discuss various other commercial ones, such as Herolab, D20pro, Fantasy Grounds, etc.
    _________________
    It is by will alone I set my die in motion.....It is by gaming that thoughts acquire speed.....The hands acquire shaking..... The shaking becomes a warning......It is by will alone I set my die in motion....
    GreySage

    Joined: Jul 26, 2010
    Posts: 2479
    From: LG Dyvers

    Send private message
    Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:52 pm  

    I know this might add to the Administrators' responsibilities, but I wonder if it would be a good policy to allow regional queries to begin in the General Discussion forum, then, when they have remained unattended long enough to drop off the first page, they could be moved to the forum for the appropriate region. Thus, while they are a current hot topic, they stay where the greatest number of members/visitors can see them, but when they are old news, anyone looking for such esoteric bits of information will know just what regional forum to go looking for them in.

    SirXaris
    GreySage

    Joined: Oct 06, 2008
    Posts: 2781
    From: South-Central Pennsylvania

    Send private message
    Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:59 pm  

    Something similar: Canonfire! grognards could suggest to new ones the appropriate forum for their question -- after it's originally posted, of course -- and then after this suggestion was made and an appropriate length of time went by -- so the original poster could "see" the suggestion -- the Admin could move the post to the appropriate forum.

    Work for you?
    _________________
    Mystic's web page: http://melkot.com/mysticscholar/index.html
    Mystic's blog page: http://mysticscholar.blogspot.com/
    Paladin

    Joined: Sep 07, 2011
    Posts: 831
    From: Houston Texas

    Send private message
    Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:37 pm  

    Agreed...We can't put all the burden on Big C... we could help mediate that change in the community...
    As I tell my players all the time
    Silence is Consent
    Black Hand of Oblivion

    Joined: Feb 16, 2003
    Posts: 3746
    From: So. Cal

    Send private message
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:16 pm  
    Re: 2013 and New Ideas

    Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Argon Sat Jul 14, 2012 wrote:
    DLG,

    The Lgg forums are a good idea. Though after this length of time I think we could consolidate the forums into one LGG forum. Open the forum and then discuss your region. Hopefully, it expands after some time. I Just think some gems may need some additional polishing. Though that takes time.

    Just a "Resurrection" bump on this thread as the New Year is upon us.

    I still am of the opinion that this would be a good tool, but "we", currently, are comfortable with the arrangements as they are.

    The LGG Forum Sub-categories seem better suited to a repository of former LGG materials and reduced (as Argon suggests).

    First, most newer members are not familiar with the LGG subsections and so questions around differing regions still appear in the general discussions. ie the most recent being questions about ToEE and the Horned Society just to name a few.

    While it would require a change in the community culture to list these in their proper regions (thus making it a better regional research tool in the long run) the current choice is general it would seem.

    It is my continued hope we would make these categories not only a reference for former LGG materials, but a stomping ground for new ideas dedicated to those regions specifics, thus aiding DMs with interest in a specific region.

    Unfortunately they will stay as they are; as to arrange them as we really want to will require switching from php.nuke to something else altogether. That means a total rebuilding of the site, which is probably what will happen...whenever Gary gets the wild hare to do so.

    Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Argon Sat Jul 14, 2012 wrote:
    Idea On to 2013 New Ideas Idea
    Perhaps a forum listing for support software's under "special projects"?

    In today's electronic age, there are lots of software to support the gamer. I realize that there have been submissions of various spreadsheets, etc. this could be one place to gather all in one spot and to discuss various other commercial ones, such as Herolab, D20pro, Fantasy Grounds, etc.

    Canonfire! has purposely not had advertisements for such things, though adding advertisements has been discussed. If advertisements were to be added to the site, it would be for the purpose of revenue collection to pay for server fees and any other operational costs.
    _________________
    - Moderator/Admin (in some areas)/Member -
    Paladin

    Joined: Sep 07, 2011
    Posts: 831
    From: Houston Texas

    Send private message
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 pm  
    Re: 2013 and New Ideas

    Cebrion wrote:

    Unfortunately they will stay as they are; as to arrange them as we really want to will require switching from php.nuke to something else altogether. That means a total rebuilding of the site, which is probably what will happen...whenever Gary gets the wild hare to do so.

    I recall there was some discussions around that and that there was a "layering/ sub-category levels" limit? Personally I'm good with it, just at a loss as to how to lure those old LGG groupies back to the nest? rolleyes Confused
    Cebrion wrote:

    Canonfire! has purposely not had advertisements for such things, though adding advertisements has been discussed. If advertisements were to be added to the site, it would be for the purpose of revenue collection to pay for server fees and any other operational costs.

    Though my intent was not going in that direction (more on that in a bit) If it were a simple way to generate revenue for site support,,,, Great!

    I was referring more to a "consumer report" rendition, as you point out the site has remained "neutral" to all of that and as such, many could prose constructive opinions, critiques, experiences they may have or way to implement those elements in-support of their GH game. This may help others in determining an informed choice or overcome some obstical with a fresh perspective. It would not have to be limited to just commercial softwares. Person A may have an app that randomizes dice rolls, etc. or person B may need a dwarvish to Elvish translator,, etc It could be a starting off point & converse starter for the repository of electronic support files.
    my 2cp
    GreySage

    Joined: Jul 26, 2010
    Posts: 2479
    From: LG Dyvers

    Send private message
    Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:23 am  
    Re: 2013 and New Ideas

    Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    ...a dwarvish to Elvish translator,, etc...


    Lol! We're all such incredible nerds. Our love of gaming will never be accepted by mainstream society. Laughing

    SirXaris
    GreySage

    Joined: Oct 06, 2008
    Posts: 2781
    From: South-Central Pennsylvania

    Send private message
    Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:37 am  
    Re: 2013 and New Ideas

    SirXaris wrote:
    Our love of gaming will never be accepted by mainstream society.


    What? I thought we were "mainstream!?" Surprised

    Are you implying that our love of Greyhawk is not shared by the entire world? Shocked

    Sacrilege! Heresy! Burn him at the stake! Evil Grin
    _________________
    Mystic's web page: http://melkot.com/mysticscholar/index.html
    Mystic's blog page: http://mysticscholar.blogspot.com/
    Paladin

    Joined: Sep 07, 2011
    Posts: 831
    From: Houston Texas

    Send private message
    Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:14 am  
    Re: 2013 and New Ideas

    SirXaris wrote:
    Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    ...a dwarvish to Elvish translator,, etc...

    Lol! We're all such incredible nerds. Our love of gaming will never be accepted by mainstream society. Laughing
    SirXaris

    SirXaris wrote:

    What? I thought we were "mainstream!?"

    Maybe alittle!! Wink Laughing
    Actually my wife would say its my Anal-retentive nature showing again.... Embarassed
    As for the rest of the world... through the "miricale" that is U-tube, Americas' (or Britian for that matter) got talent, singing , blah blah, or the pinicale of hidden geekdom FANTASY FOOTBALL, I've always felt they all have their "inner- PC" hiding somewhere.. it is up to us to bring them to the light!!!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

    Joined: Jul 09, 2003
    Posts: 1239
    From: Clarksville, TN

    Send private message
    Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:21 am  
    Re: 2013 and New Ideas

    Cebrion wrote:

    ...Unfortunately they will stay as they are; as to arrange them as we really want to will require switching from php.nuke to something else altogether...


    -Hmmm... that php.nuke thing is the gift that keeps giving, huh? Razz
    Black Hand of Oblivion

    Joined: Feb 16, 2003
    Posts: 3746
    From: So. Cal

    Send private message
    Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:24 pm  

    Yes, it would seem so. php.nuke is easy to use, but there are some areas where it is lacking. At this point it is getting dated, so a full-on site revamp is probably what will end up happening (hopefully sooner rather than later) .

    As to various products, apps, etc., it would be fine to review such things in the Published Material Reviews & Discussion forum, and perhaps we could change that forum name to "Published Material/Product Reviews & Discussion" instead to highlight that aspect of it.
    _________________
    - Moderator/Admin (in some areas)/Member -
    Paladin

    Joined: Sep 07, 2011
    Posts: 831
    From: Houston Texas

    Send private message
    Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:39 pm  

    Cebrion wrote:
    Yit would be fine to review such things in the Published Material Reviews & Discussion forum, and perhaps we could change that forum name to "Published Material/Product Reviews & Discussion" instead to highlight that aspect of it.

    Point taken and certainly a viable alternative. Cool
    Apprentice Greytalker

    Joined: Sep 14, 2001
    Posts: 22


    Send private message
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:19 pm  

    I like the idea of Meta-Regions with a sub-category for specific countries.

    I have some Living Greyhawk material to share. One question though, are we permitted to share Living Greyhawk material on this site or does it all belong to WotC and we are not allowed to make it open to everyone?

    P.S. The region directly west of Greyhawk should not have the name of Iuz in the title -- that guy is just plain evil. It should be called "The Benevolent zone of Furyondy and some other minor players".
    _________________
    Longetalos (aka Richard Di Ioia)
    GreySage

    Joined: Jul 26, 2010
    Posts: 2479
    From: LG Dyvers

    Send private message
    Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:49 am  

    Longetalos wrote:
    I have some Living Greyhawk material to share. One question though, are we permitted to share Living Greyhawk material on this site or does it all belong to WotC and we are not allowed to make it open to everyone?


    It is my understanding that WotC owns all the material for the first two years of Living Greyhawk. After that, they allowed the authors to keep the rights to the works. Therefore, as long as the authors give permission, years 3-8 are free material. You'll have to ask someone else where to get that legal verification, however. That's just what I've heard on this website.

    Quote:
    P.S. The region directly west of Greyhawk should not have the name of Iuz in the title -- that guy is just plain evil. It should be called "The Benevolent zone of Furyondy and some other minor players".


    Nice. Laughing

    SirXaris
    Display posts from previous:   
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Help and Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ Previous  1, 2, 3]
    Page 3 of 3

    Jump to:  

    You can post new topics in this forum
    You can reply to topics in this forum
    You can edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum


    Forums ©


    Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

    Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!


    Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

    PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.31 Seconds