JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Chronicles Progress
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! Chronicles
    Chronicles Progress
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:55 pm  
    Chronicles Progress

Has there been any progess on the Canonfire Chronicles as of late?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:58 pm  

We have three articles for CC any one who is interested in submitting artwork is welcome to post here and one of the CC staff will contact you. Though I would not suggest a hold on a release because of artwork.

We have a massive adventure, a smaller adventure, and a race of Oerth article. Right now maps are being finished for the adventures while the race article has been finished for a long time.

Hoping to have everything ready soon for our Dark Herald.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:17 pm  

Yep, submissions of artwork and articles/adventures are enthusiastically encouraged and happily accepted.

Unemployed_bullywug, you have produced many superb pieces of art for my adventure already and I hope to have many more as soon as you can make it possible. Thanks for the time and effort you put into that work! Happy

I've got to say once again that I want to encourage anyone and everyone who has any desire to write an article or adventure to give it a go. I did and I got a job out of it in less than a year! My childhood dream of being a professional D&D adventure writer didn't come to fruition until middle age because I didn't have the courage to give it a shot until then. Don't wait that long, folks! Do it now! Wink

SirXaris
    Freelance Editor/Writer/Designer, Total Party Kill Games
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:19 pm  

OK,

It's been a millennium since the CC was introduced as a Dungeon to the Oerth Journals Dragon. I for one would like the first issue out no later than Mid-February. So me Skip and Rory need to touch base on this again.

Once again artists and writers are always encouraged to contribute to the Canonfire Chronicles and, or the Oerth Journal.

Remember neither can survive without your support.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:28 pm  

Working on write-ups for Javan Ferry, County of Flen, Kingdom of Keoland. Talking with Xaris and Cebrion about it all day.

Where the heck have you been?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:52 pm  

Ah... Mystic,

They say the Abyss has many layers. I have had to crawl my way deep out of that dark place, and reclaim what I lost when deep I dwelled. For simply leaving such a place, does not mean one sheds its veil.

Shadows had came with me, and it took resolve, and will to shake them. Know this I'm back, and ready for what lies before me.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:17 am  

Argon's adventure is ready to go (unless he says differently). My own is awaiting a few pieces of art, but I still need someone to throw together a tavern map. Still working on that. We also have a couple other short articles from other authors that I need to give a final proofread/edit to. We've also got an adventure by Shield0999, but it needs a rewrite and he isn't available to do so at the moment. That's what we've got so far.

SirXaris
    Master Greytalker

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:16 am  

Hi Guys

I have a question regarding CC, OJ and CF articles.

My intention this year is to submit some more written GH work especially as I no longer have an active FTF GH campaign.

How do you view the differences between the three possible destinations for submission? Maybe Ceb can help with this as well. My previous two fiction submissions were articles and when I submit (finally) some more I think the best thing is to go down the article route.

So, what are the mission statements for each of the options? (I realise Argon made the Dragon/Dungeon comparison but that's not entirely accurate given that CC will contain more than just adventures. Not a criticism Argon. Smile )
    GreySage

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:44 am  

Argon wrote:
    Ah... Mystic . . . They say the Abyss has many layers . . . Shadows had came with me, and it took resolve . . .

Why was a poor, lost, barbarian waif wandering around in that place? A place reserved for . . . Shadowcasters? Confused

Glad you're back. As I've been saying, if I'm going to start writing, Adventures, City descriptions and story for the O.J. and The Chronicles, then rest assured that procrastination will not be tolerated! Shocked

I know where you guys . . . live. Evil Grin

Mwahahahahahahahahahaha!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:27 pm  

Ragr,

I think I can clarify this a bit more. Anything submitted to CF is on CF. Adventures and race articles are currently going to be featured in the CC, as well as revisited articles that were previously posted on CF. Stories, town, fauna and flora and just about everything else is designated to the OJ.

Cebrion is free to pull sources from the CC to help the OJ and from the OJ to help the CC. We work in cohesion of each other. Though Sir Xaris is the chief editor for the CC.

I hope this helps.

Later

Argon
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:51 pm  

Cheers, Argon. That clears a few things up.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:54 pm  

Ragr wrote:
    Cheers, Argon. That clears a few things up.

No problem. Glad I could help.

Later

Argon
    CF Admin

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:15 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    Argon's adventure is ready to go (unless he says differently). My own is awaiting a few pieces of art, but I still need someone to throw together a tavern map. Still working on that. We also have a couple other short articles from other authors that I need to give a final proofread/edit to. We've also got an adventure by Shield0999, but it needs a rewrite and he isn't available to do so at the moment. That's what we've got so far.

SirXaris

Sir, have you tried GIMP 2?

It is a great cartographic piece of freeware that is decently easy to use, even for a novice. You can backlay a grid and draw lines and add graphics etc etc. Very easy for self author map making with a decent level of quality.

I'd imagine a person of your intelligence could master it within a few days, no problem. Happy

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:10 am  

abysslin wrote:

It is a great cartographic piece of freeware that is decently easy to use, even for a novice. You can backlay a grid and draw lines and add graphics etc etc. Very easy for self author map making with a decent level of quality.

I'd imagine a person of your intelligence could master it within a few days, no problem. Happy

Thanks, abysslin. I'll check that out. Smile

SirXaris
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am  

abysslin wrote:
    SirXaris wrote:

SirXaris

I haven't used GIMP 2, so I can't speak to its ease of use. It is a raster-based program, like Photoshop, so it works in pixels rather than points. Inkscape is the best known free vector program (GIMP = Photoshop, Inkscape = Illustrator), and Draftsight is a good free CAD program.
    GreySage

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:08 pm  

Nellisir wrote:

I haven't used GIMP 2, so I can't speak to its ease of use. It is a raster-based program, like Photoshop, so it works in pixels rather than points. Inkscape is the best known free vector program (GIMP = Photoshop, Inkscape = Illustrator), and Draftsight is a good free CAD program.

None of that makes any sense to me, but I'll try them all out and see which one I prefer. Happy

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:13 pm  

Sir Xaris ,

I thought your maps were already retouched by Cebrion if you need assistance let me know. I'll see what I can do for you.

Later

Argon
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:44 am  

The sun has set over the dark continent and once again the Dark Herald has taken the reigns of his trusted steed Nightbane .... fear the dark for the Herald has taken the night ..... er wrong forum :P

So I have been abscent from the forums for a while, as real life decreed it to be so.

What did I miss?

PS. I need help with the IRC - Greychat for some reason my X-Chat2 is giving me hell.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:06 pm  

DH,

Good to see you on the boards again. Have you tried connecting via mibbit or mozilla chat?

Later

Argon
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:11 am  

For now, smaller one-off articles would best be submitted to Canonfire! as Articles.

OJ is planned to be a bit more like later issued of Dragon Magazine. See the OJ submission guidelines in the Downloads section for more information.

Canonfire! Chronicles is planned to be more like Dungeon Magazine in that adventures will be featured there, as well as small sidetrek adventures, articles on adventure hooks, area rumors, and other things related to adventures. Canonfire! Chronicles will also serve as a vehicle for authors to collect a series of articles on a single topic and feature them all together in one place. This would also be the place for any OJ submissions that are simply massive, such that they can really stand all on their own and so are worthy of being featured in a more special format.

I would say that a good ballpark figure for the total page count of both e-zines should be around 40 pages, with the occasional issue being a bit smaller/larger than that. That is plenty enough work to do for those who will be involved in putting them together.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:50 am  

That's added another layer of clarification, Ceb.

I have a plan this year to write a piece of something GH (technical term) a month as a challenge to myself. January's piece is already behind due to various gaming demands on my time so I'll hopefull play catch up when necessary.

It's great that there's a couple of different outlets for the material
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:12 pm  

Well, there is a plan. We just need people to contribute material, and others their talent to put things together. And, of course, a cat herder to keep things moving along.

And that is a good personal goal you have there. I haven't submitted an article in quite a while. I may be so bold as to shoot for quarterly offerings this year. Besides, I have developed the bad habit of typing with my left hand and chicken pecking with my right (FPS games are to blame no doubt), so working on breaking that bad habit would be a good thing, and it will require a lot of typing to do so. Happy

Last edited by Cebrion on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:18 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Well, there is a plan. We just need people to contribute material, and others their talent to put things together. And, of course, a cat herder to keep things moving along.

Did you mean sheep herder? As in lambs for the slaughter. Evil Grin

Later

Argon
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:50 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Nellisir wrote:

None of that makes any sense to me, but I'll try them all out and see which one I prefer. Happy

SirXaris

If you draw a line in a raster program and zoom in really close, it will turn into little squares and your smooth line will become jagged. Each pixel (the squares) has information about color and location. If you draw a line in a vector program and zoom in really close, it's still a line.

Vector is good for simple colors & line images, like pen & ink drawings and building plans. Raster is good for photos.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 pm  

I do most of my graphic work with GIMP. It's a solid program with two things going for it. 1) it's free 2) it's updated regularly.

I do all my maps with it.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! Chronicles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: