JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Existing Organisation in the Flanaess
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Existing Organisation in the Flanaess
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:06 am  
    Existing Organisation in the Flanaess

Hey Everyone, hope you're all going to have a prosperous 2014!

I would like to know if there exists an organization analogous to the Forgotten Realms' Harpers in the Flanaess that anyone is aware of? I could use the Gnarley Rangers, I suppose, and embellish on them but I wanted to be sure I hadn't missed a better-suited group first.

One of the PCs in my new game wants a Ranger-Rogue type pc and I figured something like the Harpers would be cool.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:05 am  

Seekers of the Arcana is your best best.
    http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Seekers_of_the_Arcane

IMO they are quite similar to the Harpers.

There are also the Dustdiggers. http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5642&highlight=

Perhaps also my noncanonical Keoland's Royal Adventurer Guild might interest you?
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:10 am  

What role are you looking to fill IYC? It's hard to find a Flanaess equivalent because the Harpers are such an unrealistic, catch-all group: a large international organization with historical ties to elves, founded by an archmage, sponsored by multiple deities and interracial pantheons, espousing "balance" while vigorously opposing all forms of evil, anti-war, anti-slavery, some environmental lip service, politically active and supporting small monarchies but stymieing empires.

There are Greyhawk organizations that share a few of those characteristics, but not all.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:41 am  

vestcoat wrote:
    ...It's hard to find a Flanaess equivalent because the Harpers are such an unrealistic, catch-all group: a large international organization with historical ties to elves, founded by an archmage, sponsored by multiple deities and interracial pantheons, espousing "balance" while vigorously opposing all forms of evil, anti-war, anti-slavery, some environmental lip service, politically active and supporting small monarchies but stymieing empires.

There are Greyhawk organizations that share a few of those characteristics, but not all.

- I don't do FR, but I'm familiar with the idea of the Harpers (you just gave me more detail than I ever had on it before.

The obvious thing for Warlock to do is create such an organization, but one which is just getting ramped up. If the PCs are part of it, they'd be getting in on the ground floor. Or, one of Sutemi's suggestions might be in expansion mode?
    GreySage

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:59 am  

vestcoat wrote:
    ...It's hard to find a Flanaess equivalent because the Harpers are such an unrealistic, catch-all group: a large international organization with historical ties to elves, founded by an archmage, sponsored by multiple deities and interracial pantheons, espousing "balance" while vigorously opposing all forms of evil, anti-war, anti-slavery, some environmental lip service, politically active and supporting small monarchies but stymieing empires.

Did anybody else notice that this sounds very similar to The Circle of Eight? Neutral

However, the Harpers are much like the Republican party (USA) in its inception: officially declaring that they simply opposed the spread of slavery, but in truth, working to end it everywhere. The Harpers claim that they seek to keep the peace through balance so that they don't alienate all the neutrally-aligned people and kingdoms, but in reality, they work toward the good and the defeat of evil.

The Circle of Eight officially works toward the balance or neutrality and most of its members do so individually, as well. There are just a few members who individually slant their work toward good (Tenser) or evil (Rary).

The truth is that in the Flanaess, their is no canonical organization (that I'm aware of) that works toward good in a Flanaess-wide effort, such as that of the Harpers or the Pathfinder Society (though I know less about that org.). Have fun developing your own - or as jamesdglick suggested, allow your players to initiate such an organization themselves. Smile

SirXaris

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:00 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:
    vestcoat wrote:

- I don't do FR, but I'm familiar with the idea of the Harpers (you just gave me more detail than I ever had on it before.

The obvious thing for Warlock to do is create such an organization, but one which is just getting ramped up. If the PCs are part of it, they'd be getting in on the ground floor. Or, one of Sutemi's suggestions might be in expansion mode?

Thanks guys! Like James, I am only somewhat aware of the Harpers, I had no idea of the deities, archmages, etc.

I will investigate the Seekers of the Arcane the Dustdiggers and very interested in your Keoland's Royal Adventurer Guild, Sutemi, would like to learn more. Happy

I run a Legend game, a derivative of RuneQuest and Factions, Guilds and Cults are vehicles for adventurers to gain training and access to certain spells and skills. So when my PC proposed the above character concept, it got me wondering.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:09 pm  

I am kicking off the campaign with the Keep on the Borderlands, which I am going to set in the Yeomanry, as per the GH Module Locations chart here on CF. I think that I could use the Dustdiggers to good effect then, thanks for pointing them out Sutemi! Happy

Works out rather nicely, actually!
    GreySage

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:36 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Did anybody else notice that this sounds very similar to The Circle of Eight?

What? You thought I would miss that? Shocked

Not hardly! Evil Grin

SirXaris wrote:
    The Circle of Eight officially works toward the balance or neutrality and most of its members do so individually, as well. There are just a few members who individually slant their work toward good (Tenser) or evil (Rary).

Mordenkanien, more than any of the others, tries to maintain the "Balance," each of the others -- to one degree or another -- slants a little one way, or the other. That's why I associate them with the Harpers. Individuality does come into play with both groups.

Quote:
    I am kicking off the campaign with the Keep on the Borderlands, which I am going to set in the Yeomanry, as per the GH Module Locations chart here on CF. I think that I could use the Dustdiggers to good effect then, thanks for pointing them out Sutemi!

Works out rather nicely, actually!

Actually, the AD&D module Return to the Keep on the Borderlands (S3) suggest The Yeomanry as the "Greyhawk" location for the Keep. That's why it's on the CF Chart like that. Wink

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:27 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    ...Actually, the AD&D module Return to the Keep on the Borderlands (S3) suggest The Yeomanry as the "Greyhawk" location for the Keep. That's why it's on the CF Chart like that. Wink

-I've heard that Return is not exactly a beloved GH addition. Laughing

warlock wrote:
    I am kicking off the campaign with the Keep on the Borderlands, which I am going to set in the Yeomanry, as per the GH Module Locations chart here on CF...

-I put the Keep at the north side of junction of the Jewel and Handmaiden rivers on the Suss Forest side (I turn the map on its side). I think Sir X does something similar. But to each his own. The Keep is generic enough to put anyway without disturbing canon. Now, putting Hommlet in Ull... Wink
    GreySage

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:08 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:
    -I've heard that Return is not exactly a beloved GH addition.

It's not, but the fact that it's "officially" suggested gives CF the premise for placing it at that location.

jamesdglick wrote:
    -I put the Keep at the north side of junction of the Jewel and Handmaiden rivers on the Suss Forest side (I turn the map on its side).

I'm running an RPoL campaign there now. I usually place it in the Tors, between The Yeomanry and the City of Melkot.

But that's just me. Wink

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:45 pm  

I think we are all ignoring the most obvious transnational organization in the Flanaess: the churches. The faiths of St. Cuthbert, Heironeous, Pholtus, and Pelor have wide appeal, both socially and geographically. The faith of Rao even runs a country (Veluna). I personally think this is more in keeping with the medieval nature of the Greyhawk setting, and churches and clerics are a group and class that I find generally neglected.

As for your player's ranger, the faith of Ehlonna could play the role of a coordinating organization.
    GreySage

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:38 pm  

tarelton wrote:
    I think we are all ignoring the most obvious transnational organization in the Flanaess: the churches.

Great point, Tarelton. Smile

SirXaris

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:31 pm  

Besides the obvious Gnarley Rangers, there are other groups that may attract a ranger of some renown. Elven rangers are allowed to become Windriders (according to the 2nd edition Complete Book of Elves). The Greyhawk: Player's Guide supplement also mentions that rangers are eligible to join such groups as the Knights of the Watch: Dispatchers (page 56) and the Knights of the Order of the Hart (Furyondy and High Forest only; pages 57-58). There may be other more obscure organizations, too, but these are the ones I know of specifically.

Don't forget that you, as DM, can also create one of your own design and choosing...

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:24 pm  

I had totally forgotten the various Knights and Church orders ... Embarassed Great ideas guys!
    GreySage

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:10 pm  

You could go with the Azure Masks.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:09 am  

Oh Boy, thanks Rasgon! I can see that I am definitely going to use the Society of the Serpent ... especially once the campaign unfolds and the heroes go investigating the Dry Steppes or Sea of Dust.

So much potential with all these additional secret societies! Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:05 am  

SirXaris wrote:

The truth is that in the Flanaess, their is no canonical organization (that I'm aware of) that works toward good in a Flanaess-wide effort, such as that of the Harpers or the Pathfinder Society (though I know less about that org.). Have fun developing your own - or as jamesdglick suggested, allow your players to initiate such an organization themselves. Smile

SirXaris

I think that initiating a new organization with the players could be interesting. And if you use it it future campaigns, they might feel that they have done more than just get rid off some whatever monsters whom will come harassing their characters again.

By the way, the one I use a lot is the Order of the Unseen lovers from the BoEF.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: