JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sea Princes questions
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Sea Princes questions
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:20 pm  
    Sea Princes questions

I'm gathering some information for a campaign and found this in the Greywiki that spurred some questions:

"An ambassador from the "Kingdom of Shar," resplendent in his red hooded robe, arrived at the court of Jeon II, demanding the Sea Princes submit to his government or be destroyed. When the assembled lords mocked him, he presented them with a list of 30 petty nobles, who were all (save three) assassinated before the following morning. Within a fortnight, the Hold of the Sea Princes belonged to the Great and Hidden Empire of the Scarlet Brotherhood."

What was the fate of Jeon II? Was he murdered by the Scarlet Brotherhood? Who were the three nobles that survived?

Saludos!

Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:31 pm  

Given the description in the LGG he was either assassinated or was one of the three surviving unknown nobles who surrendered and turned over the nation to the SB. After that, who knows? He could be languishing in some dungeon somewhere, with his fate unknown. Rescuing him for a rebel faction, if such information came to them could make a great background for an adventure.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:46 am  

Thanks smillan! I'll certainly use your comments.

I ran Rogue Rescue, a LG adventure I converted to 5e, as intro to the group. Since one of the characters is from the Sea Princes exiled in the Yeomanry and wants to restore his former House as a long term goal, the main NPC of that adventure could provide the latest rumors of the situation in Monmurg. An attempt on rescuing Jeon, though dangerous and maybe futile action, if successful, would certainly be a game changer in the region, and provide the character with leverage to reach his goal.

Saludos!

Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:47 pm  

What are the sources for Sea Princes info? Especially post-Greyhawk Wars but for any period really. I've got The Scarlet Brotherhood, The Adventure Begins, The World of Greyhawk, World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting, From the Ashes, and the Living Greyhawk Gazzetter.

Anything else with info on the Sea Princes? Any Polyhedron, Dragon, or Dungeon adventures or articles I should check out?
    GreySage

Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:31 pm  

Treasures of Greyhawk deals with the Sea Princes and Jeon II specifically. Just keep in mind that the king that Jeon II tells the PCs was named "Derik Drakkonheart" was really Tavish I of Keoland.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:10 pm  
    Sea Princes

There were two official modules, UK2 "The Sentinel" and UK3 "The Gauntlet" - that are set in the Sea Princes region. There are also a couple modules set in the Hool Marshes near the Sea Prince border, but the UK2 and UK3 are the ones I know of that are specifically set in the Sea Princes.

Additionally, there is an article here on Canonfire I did up that may give you some ideas called "Keoish Intelligence Report on the Sea Princes", hope you fins it useful.

O-D
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:37 pm  

I would say Jeon almost certainly survived at least the immediate assassinations.

30 petty nobles were named. A ruling prince is generally not considered a petty noble...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:06 pm  

Thanks all for the input. I'll check all the mentioned sources for inspiration.

Saludos!

Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:47 pm  

Probably also worth mentioning that both the Shackled City and Savage Tide Adventure Paths in Dungeon are set in (or at least start in in the latter case) a southern colony established by the Sea Princes across Jeklea Bay from their main lands.

I'm also thinking of using the Shackles from Pathfinder's Golarion as part of the Sea Princes but that is obviously a long way from canon.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:01 am  

Vulcan wrote:
    I would say Jeon almost certainly survived at least the immediate assassinations.

30 petty nobles were named. A ruling prince is generally not considered a petty noble...

The "petty nobles" quote is from the Greyhawk Wars Adventurer's Book. The LGG has the 30 being the ranking nobles of the Sea Princes, so decide which version you're going with. I go with the latter because I don't see the Sea Princes immediately surrendering and signing a treaty just because 27 out of 30 petty nobles are assassinated in one night. It would be pretty shocking and a blow to morale, but I can't believe they wouldn't put up more of a fight.

Also, in Treasures of Keoland, there is what we can safely presume is a portrait of Jeon II.

EDIT: I also recommend taking a look at Osmund-Davizid's Keoish Intelligence Report. Good stuff! Here's the link - http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=445
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:37 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Vulcan wrote:

The "petty nobles" quote is from the Greyhawk Wars Adventurer's Book. The LGG has the 30 being the ranking nobles of the Sea Princes, so decide which version you're going with...

-Huh.Good catch. I never noticed. Embarassed
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: