Username Password
   or Create an Account
HomeForumsFAQArticlesReviewsDownloadsLinksTop 20Feedback
 Features

Greyhawk Wiki

Canonfire :: View topic - Iuz--The Old One Concept Artwork
Iuz--The Old One Concept Artwork
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Secret Skeleton Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaoticprime
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drew this really quickly today, and had my wife ink it digitally to make it look better.

SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the loincloth makes him look too much like Gollum. If he were fully clothed from the waste down, I think that rendition would be spot on.

SirXaris
chaoticprime
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirXaris wrote:
I think the loincloth makes him look too much like Gollum. If he were fully clothed from the waste down, I think that rendition would be spot on.

SirXaris

I prefer the exposed legs, they really show off the "gnarled, old" aspects. I could definitely lengthen the cloth, however. I forget what the article of dress is called, but its not a skirt or a kilt. Plus, you gotta love those nasty feet of his.
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys can really crank out clean, nice art, fast.

chaoticprime wrote:
For his pose I was thinking of having him actually leaned forward in a battle pose with his sword held in front of him with both hands. For the sword, I wanted something that looked forged in hell. Something cruel--something that hacks and smashes as much as it cuts. Nothing adds insult to injury like a dirty sword giving a surviving PC blood-poisoning.

Save the filth for paint rather than sculpt it on. The blade could be notched or even slightly pitted though, but not overly much(stay away from a GW Nurgle look Wink).

chaoticprime wrote:
My scale is 5mm = 1ft. His seven feet of height would make him 35mm tall. He'll look massive compared to his absolutely tiny manikin counterform.

True, but you want him to massive in comparison to regular height minis too so as to have a unified look to your range. Iuz doesn't wear any thrilling head gear, so i think it would be good to fudge him just a bit so that he is noticeably taller than a standard 30mm scale human wearing a helm.

chaoticprime wrote:
Also, I abstained from rendering him nipples, as Iuz is not technically a mammal in his demon form.

Always an amusing topic, but I would give them to him, as he is born of mortal woman. Well, once mortal woman. Nothing grotesque though.

As to the smaller form, I agree that an extended robe would be better than a tunic, though as you say, it need not not cover his feet. Here is one consideration though- ankles are a very weak point on a scrawny model, so perhaps have the robe be very ragged at the bottom, meaning some of it extends to the ground, but some of his legs and his feet are exposed. This will increase the strength of the mini at one of its most vulnerable points, but still maintain the decrepitude of his attire.
Also, the old man's cape should be a cloak(i.e. longer). It doesn't change size to suit the form, but remains the same.

I'd also ditch the Golem ears. Make them wrinkly little old man ears(i.e. human). Emphasize the difference between the older man form and the demonic form, not put in things that relate them. One other detail I noticed- the background states that old man Iuz not only can attack with his spittle, but with raking talons. You could still downplay that just a bit by only slightly emphasizing his fingernails, rather than give him big honkin' claws. As to the build of the old man body, I think you've got that dead on. Perhaps put a meaner face on him- slitted eyes, scowl.

Anybody else have some suggestions?
chaoticprime
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought magical items changed size based on the wearer? He is meant to have a magical half-cape, from what I have read.

I also drew those ears based on him being a manikin, as his Gygaxian description from DM states.

I dig the talons, I'll have that changed, for sure. I'll have to work in some frayed and tattered garment between his legs, regardless, as for the miniature to be molded correctly will require it.
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaoticprime wrote:
I thought magical items changed size based on the wearer? He is meant to have a magical half-cape, from what I have read.

Earlier descriptions mention cloak, later ones mention cape. Many items don't change size, cloaks being one of them. Of course that is probably dependent upon the rules edition, but in early rules they often didn't. I just figure that having the cloak stay the same size, such that it would look more like cape on the larger demonic form and a cloak on the smaller form would be a good way to play to all of the descriptions. Nobody can really say it is wrong then. That's the method behind my madness at least. Wink It's not a deal breaker at any rate.

chaoticprime wrote:
I also drew those ears based on him being a manikin, as his Gygaxian description from DM states.

What is "DM"? A manikin is just a little man so far as I know. Iuz's human form is that of a small, wrinkly old man. Presumably an evil looking one. Maybe have him gritting his teeth and scowling, so lips parted just a bit.

chaoticprime wrote:
I dig the talons, I'll have that changed, for sure. I'll have to work in some frayed and tattered garment between his legs, regardless, as for the miniature to be molded correctly will require it.

That'll do. A bit of bony leg showing will look good.

Now, if we could just get some of these other lazy gits to put forth some opinions...
DwarffromNyrond
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always imagined him with an upraised fist. Kind of like a cross between an angry old man and a very spoiled young adult who can't imagine that he didn't get his way. As a demigod, I can't imagine him in ragged clothes either. Perhaps a heavy robe that hints at a hard as iron body underneath, making it difficult to pin him down as to exactly what people are dealing with. I imagine him in a bent over stoop or an outraged lean (always making it hard to tell if he's an old man or a spoiled demiurge). Not sure this helped at all, but maybe my perspective would be of value and if not, then it's of value by not being of value. Cool
PaulN6
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the old man Iuz sketch too although add my vote for a bit more clothing than the loincloth. Personally, I don't have a major issue with him having slightly demonic ears but more human ears work too.
andurion
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to chime in, as I think Iuz is a cool villain ... :)

I really like the mannikin sketch overall, as it conveys Iuz's withered, too-old look. Pointed ears I can live with (he's part demon!), but I usually imagine him with regular human ears. I also can live with him wielding a wand, but I usually imagine him with a staff. Perhaps you can make conversion pieces? I've seen a few minis come with alternate weapons.

I actually like the lack of clothing. I feel like if you clothe him too much, it'll be harder to make out Iuz's withered body in the actual mini. And Iuz strikes me as someone who just doesn't give a darn about niceties like clothing - I envision him as a chaotic evil ascetic. :) But I think making the cape extend to the base would be a good way to support the actual mini.
chaoticprime
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andurion wrote:
I just wanted to chime in, as I think Iuz is a cool villain ... :)

I really like the mannikin sketch overall, as it conveys Iuz's withered, too-old look. Pointed ears I can live with (he's part demon!), but I usually imagine him with regular human ears. I also can live with him wielding a wand, but I usually imagine him with a staff. Perhaps you can make conversion pieces? I've seen a few minis come with alternate weapons.

I actually like the lack of clothing. I feel like if you clothe him too much, it'll be harder to make out Iuz's withered body in the actual mini. And Iuz strikes me as someone who just doesn't give a darn about niceties like clothing - I envision him as a chaotic evil ascetic. :) But I think making the cape extend to the base would be a good way to support the actual mini.

This is largely what I think, save for the cape. It is meant to be a half-cape, that is why its so short.
grodog
CF Admin
CF Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, this is still my preferred Iuz image (although this version is substantially darker than the original from Dragon Magazine):

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chaoticprime
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grodog wrote:
FWIW, this is still my preferred Iuz image (although this version is substantially darker than the original from Dragon Magazine):

This image is where I drew much of my inspiration for in my above piece. To my knowledge, that image is the first of Iuz ever published.
grodog
CF Admin
CF Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaoticprime wrote:
This image is where I drew much of my inspiration for in my above piece. To my knowledge, that image is the first of Iuz ever published.

Mine too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Argon
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this picture his ears should be more human. I like the idea where the cape should appear more cloak like in his human form a staff or wand I'm fine with either. I have something you can add if you like a human head laced closed at the neck with its mouth out stretched to resemble a pouch adorned around his waist. Iuz takes his payment in souls. If you go staff it can be a sspine with the skull still attached

We know I like a cloven footed Iuz in demonic form however if you go demonic with the other piece I would go one of two ways. If he's bloated might I suggest making his arms lean and muscled as opposed to bulky and well muscled. I like cloven feet regardless well muscled minotaur-like hooves or an emaciated long and lean demonic form which gives one the feeling of perpetual hunger. The staff can then be pointed skull facing forward with it's jaw gaped open unleashing some type of horrible before all. The head pouch can remain or convert to a belt or ion like stone effect over the demonic forms head. Just some ideas!
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am a big Holloway fan, that old art screams "evil Galen from Planet of the Apes" more than it does "old man". Too chimpanzee-ish for my taste. Other than the face, the rest of the pic is fine though.
Dungeonmeister
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, please allow an old timer to intervene.
I've just tumbled across this discussion. I've made some pics of the Old One myself. Here"s is the pic of an aspect of the Ancient battling the PC's of my game. I used my own mind picture of him, i.e the demonic bloated form with his 2 handed black greatsword. So what do you think ?

http://dungeonmeister.deviantart.com/art/The-Aspect-of-Iuz-536306590?q=gallery%3AKnigths%2F28528695&qo=5

PS: BTW I have also designed an old wrinkled human version, not yet published...
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, Dungeonmeister! I like it. Smile

SirXaris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Secret Skeleton Miniatures All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: