Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk "Undercity"?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk "Undercity"?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:30 pm  
    Greyhawk "Undercity"?

Where can I find out more about the sewers/ruins/tunnels/etc. underneath the Free City of Greyhawk? Do they feature prominently in any adventures or stories? The only semi-useful resource I could find was a map done by a Denis Tetreault at this site: http://melkot.com/locations/cogh/cogh.html

I'm looking for any juicy plothooks or officially named regions/areas underneath the city instead of just going with the generic "sewers".
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:29 pm  

You could try to track down a copy of the Greyhawk City boxed set.
    Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:38 pm  

Yes that boxed set has all the answers.

Off the top of my head the best location to use is the low and high catacombs. Both probably riddled with undead. Treasure based on social class.

There is secret areas/entrances all over to get in/out of the city which is great for the thieves and/or assassins guild and also for a cult of Nerull iirc?

The areas under the Citadel may be escape tunnels or corridors to sealed vaults. Don't recall but they could lead to some nice heists if a copy of the sewers could be gained.
    GreySage

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:48 pm  

As mentioned above, get the City of Greyhawk boxed set.

It has a map depicting all the major sewer lines under the city. There are also Adventure Shorts on card stock that include at least two that take place all, or partially, within the city's sewers.

SirXaris

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:21 pm  

It's not specific to Greyhawk's underworld, but here's what Gygax had to say on the subject in general (sorta):

Quote:
    The pair started to follow the passage that had been concealed behind the secret door, Evaleigh carrying the lantern and Gord with dagger in hand.

After a short distance the narrow corridor dead-ended at a broader one that led both left and right. Gord opted for the left, saying that they could try the other direction if this one failed to offer something positive soon.Before long they entered a larger place, pillared and arched, that was the nexus of many tunnels. In addition to the one they had entered from, there were four other passages leading off fro the place, and a spiral flight of stone stairs leading upward as well. Gord disliked the sight of the steps, and after a moment of deliberation, he set off to the right, his female companion in tow.

"What is this place, Gord?"asked Evaleigh.

"Towns and cities are full of surprises like this," he began. "In addition to sewers, drains, cisterns, caverns, and catacombs, there is a warren of escape tunnels and secret adits-- the highways of many who wish not to be seen."

"All cities?" Evaleigh asked incredulously.

"I can't speak for all of them, only a few. I've encountered this sort of passage before. It is part of a hidden means of communication and escape, from its look, and one that hasn't been neglected, either-- so let's press on!"

- Gary Gygax, Saga of Old City, pp. 192-193.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:07 pm  
    Re: Greyhawk "Undercity"?

VikingLegion wrote:
    Do they feature prominently in any adventures or stories? The only semi-useful resource I could find was a map done by a Denis Tetreault at this site: http://melkot.com/locations/cogh/cogh.html

The sewers featured very prominently in The Falconmaster Trilogy, specifically WGA1, Falcon's Revenge. The characters will likely descend into the sewers at least twice in this adventure, and additional details are provided, complementing the boxed set.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:27 am  

tarelton wrote:

The sewers featured very prominently in The Falconmaster Trilogy, specifically WGA1, Falcon's Revenge. The characters will likely descend into the sewers at least twice in this adventure, and additional details are provided, complementing the boxed set.

Hmm.. that seems to fit precisely what I'm looking for, but it's not available on DrvieThruRPG, and physical copies on Amazon are ~$27 for WGA1, ~$4 for WGA2 (nice bargain!) and then a whopping $46 for WGA3. That's a bit more than I'm willing to spend for a minor piece of trivia, and the various reviews I read were not all that helpful, focusing on the pop out cardboard buildings the DM can assemble and seeming to imply most of the action takes place on the wharves, rather than underground.

Is this a cult of slavers? Or just general chaotic mischief-makers looking to sew evil and disorder? Can I assume their base or the final confrontation takes place in the sewer system? I'm just looking for some basic location and flavor info so I can be semi-prepared should unruly PCs surprise me and wander off track into the undercity.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:34 am  

VikingLegion wrote:
    tarelton wrote:

Hmm.. that seems to fit precisely what I'm looking for, but it's not available on DrvieThruRPG, and physical copies on Amazon are ~$27 for WGA1, ~$4 for WGA2 (nice bargain!) and then a whopping $46 for WGA3. That's a bit more than I'm willing to spend for a minor piece of trivia, and the various reviews I read were not all that helpful, focusing on the pop out cardboard buildings the DM can assemble and seeming to imply most of the action takes place on the wharves, rather than underground.

The Falcon series' battle maps and accompanying cardboard aren't terribly important. Each map is only used once for one of the battles in each module (and not necessarily the biggest battle or climax). They had more to do with promoting TSR's line of foldup products (Castles, Strongholds, Dungeons of Mystery, etc.) than adding anything to the adventures.

Regarding Amazon, their prices fluctuate daily and are absolutely meaningless to all but the most impatient buyers. All it takes is one real person to list a product at a reasonable price and suddenly all of the automated HPB listings for ransom drop to match it. Do some comparison shopping. Hitpointe.com is semi-retired, but they still respond to emails occasionally and they have WGA3 in shrink for $32. Ebay has one for BO. Don't forget Noble Knight, Dragon's Trove, Half.com, and Die Cast Games. Deals are out there. Be patient.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:42 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    The Falcon series' battle maps and accompanying cardboard aren't terribly important. Each map is only used once for one of the battles in each module (and not necessarily the biggest battle or climax). They had more to do with promoting TSR's line of foldup products (Castles, Strongholds, Dungeons of Mystery, etc.) than adding anything to the adventures.

Regarding Amazon, their prices fluctuate daily and are absolutely meaningless to all but the most impatient buyers. All it takes is one real person to list a product at a reasonable price and suddenly all of the automated HPB listings for ransom drop to match it. Do some comparison shopping. Hitpointe.com is semi-retired, but they still respond to emails occasionally and they have WGA3 in shrink for $32. Ebay has one for BO. Don't forget Noble Knight, Dragon's Trove, Half.com, and Die Cast Games. Deals are out there. Be patient.

Solid points, but the actual physical product means little to me. In fact this is a minor lore issue for me, it's just something I wanted on hand in case I should need it, so anything beyond a few bucks for a pdf won't justify what I would get out of it.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:36 pm  

VikingLegion wrote:

Is this a cult of slavers? Or just general chaotic mischief-makers looking to sew evil and disorder? Can I assume their base or the final confrontation takes place in the sewer system? I'm just looking for some basic location and flavor info so I can be semi-prepared should unruly PCs surprise me and wander off track into the undercity.

The villians are the "Spurned Cult of Iuz" that is attempting to start back up in Greyhawk around 582 CY after about a century-long hiatus. The first adventure takes place wholly in and under the City, and is a nice way for characters new to the city to explore the place. The second adventure takes place in the Cairn Hills, on the far side of the Selintan and in the city. The final adventure takes place in the city and in a tunnel complex just across the Selintan.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:45 pm  

Thanks for the info Tarelton, I already had my eye wandering over to the Cairn Hills for other reasons, so this is good to hear.
    GreySage

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:20 am  

VikingLegion, what campaign ideas are you kicking around that will have your players delve into the Undercity?

I have a group of characters currently trying to find Old Mother Grubb (after revealing that the House of Fun was a front for her activities) and her vampiric minions, and one of the possibilities is that she has her primary lair (coffin) stashed somewhere in the Undercity.

They are quickly finding out this is no easy feat and that there are other things that live down there...

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:11 am  

Nothing so specific as that Lanthorn. I just want to have some material planned in the event players wander down there, so as not to either railroad them away from such a decision or be forced to come up with everything on the spot. Anyone can come up with some stuff on the fly, like a wererat colony or an otyugh/ooze of some type as the local environmental garbage disposal, I just wanted a little more specific places/locations and canon NPCs that might be dwelling down there to give it a more authentic and less generic feel. I'm still really green to this setting, so just about everything is a surprise to me.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: