SirXaris

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:49 pm  

Definitely calls for a Bigby's Thumbs Up. :D
    GreySage

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:54 pm  

Very cool!
    Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:36 pm  

Thanks guys! I had a few more candidates for the team, but thought five was plenty. The one I was most intrigued to add was Ilena Norblos (M13), the Despotrix of Hardby. She would be tied down to ruling but an older aristocratic female wizardress to counter Elayne would be fun.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:10 pm  

Good job, Mort!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:24 am  

I can see the Pentad developing mentor relationships with younger femle spellcasters like Marie Sennefort and Sheryil Kubiak
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:55 am  

Nice! And the alignments of the members perhaps gives a tendency to chaotic and good which gives it a bit of distinction.
    Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:26 pm  

SouthernGent wrote:
    I can see the Pentad developing mentor relationships with younger femle spellcasters like Marie Sennefort and Sheryil Kubiak

Definitely! They'll all need their own apprentices and henchwizards too!
    Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:29 pm  

A-Baneful-Backfire wrote:
    Nice! And the alignments of the members perhaps gives a tendency to chaotic and good which gives it a bit of distinction.

Yeah I carefully looked at alignment. There were some dubiously evil female NPCs I was tempted to pick but most were vampires or stuff so, nah. Rautheene was trouble, but serving Mordy she has to neutral of some sort.
    GreySage

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:54 pm  

Connecting Fioranna Aielestriel and Elayne Mystica is a particularly apt idea. Poor Fioranna, she tried so hard to support the Iron League and it basically fell apart under her watch.
    Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:14 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    Connecting Fioranna Aielestriel and Elayne Mystica is a particularly apt idea. Poor Fioranna, she tried so hard to support the Iron League and it basically fell apart under her watch.

She couldn't have seen the Scarlet Brotherhood coming when the IL was so laser focused on Aerdy forever. Also, the fact that Greyhawk let's them embassy in the same vicinity with Nyrond and other allies must be an insult to her elven sensibilities. I say it's a perfect reason to drive her to the Pentad!
    Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:33 pm  

I was asked in Greychat last night what the goals and missions of the Pentad might be. Well I've had time to ponder this, here is some main interests:

Elayne Mystica: Always concerned with Irongate, and the Iron/Golden League, defending it from Aerdy and now the Scarlet Brotherood. The former is by a show of magical might, the latter is a clandestine search for spies and informants.
    Elayne would also become interested in the recent activity of Mordenkainen thinking him suspicious lately.
    Her pocket plane is a good secure place of meeting for the Pentad.

Fioranna: In addition to the IL concern, Fioranna still stalks Greyhawk City invisibly spying on other diplomats for info (including Nyrond's), she also frequents the Star of Celene to keep tabs on the goings on in all elven lands.

Shemeya: Will always be at odds with Rary and seek to find the Crown or other means to break the curse on the Bright Lands. She is also a conveyance for the Pentad to go to other planes in her Tower of Sleep. This is a secure place they can gather if not in Elayne's pocket plane.

Marial: She would also keep tabs on Greyhawk, plus helping to check on Tenser and her friend Jallarzi, both whom are good aligned and more apt to help the Pentad. Marial has a network of adventurers (from Rot8 and Vecna Lives) she can tap for missions picked by the Pentad. Marial is always on the lookout for cultists, Iuz and Vecna particularly.

Rautheene: She is the wild card. Elayne might want her to spy on Mordenkainen (or even dig around his Citadel while away) but it's doubtful she would do that without good cause. Rautheene would likely be the adventurous one who directly goes to investigate dangerous leads. Her own goals may just be collecting personal power like her mentor.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:51 pm  
    Pentad, more Q's

Hey Mort!

This is really good stuff. I think i was the one who asked that Q in GreyChat, unless multiple folks had the same Q. What i was getting at was more of an overarching political (or other) agenda (if they have any). Like possible overthrow of stale patriarchies and introducing more egalitarian institutions, for example. I think maybe a "mission statement" is what i was after. If you have any thoughts on the matter please share. Perhaps maybe you did and i missed it?

The contrast and balancing symmetry the Pentad (G) provides to the Circle Of Eight (N) and even the Ring of Five (N) is striking. Love it.

I've already adopted them into my own version of Oerth, and will be using them in my upcoming campaign. I'm also thinking of ways of linking them to the reemergence of the religion of Stern Alia, which is a subplot in said campaign. This would be a balancing maneuver to counter other, darker forces at play. (And the Wheel turns on.)

Any more thoughts appreciated. If not, i'll expand on my own.

Great seed idea. Thanks much.

PS: I'm still gonna cheekily call them the Female-Five. Wink

PPS: Didn't you mention Elaine Mystica came from a Dragon Mag? If so, which one, if i might ask? Actually, sources for any/all of them would be good to know, if possible. Did i miss them?
    Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:14 pm  

Elayne: Dragon #139, #241, and the LGG

Rautheene: Dragon #219 and #238, then #242,#246, #344, #359

Fioranna is mainly in the City of Greyhawk boxed set

Shemeya is in Rary the Traitor

Marial:Vecna Lives! and Return of the eight
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:57 pm  

Thank you, good sir.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:17 pm  

Good stuff.

I'm curious about your ideas for the Despotrix of Hardby. In my own campaign, Hardby is under the rule of the Dominion of Greyhawk, but I'm planning a rebellion (Scarlet Brotherhood backed) to restore the despotrix. I wasn't sure what, exactly, I wanted to do with her in terms of personality, etc.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:55 am  

Very cool mortellan. I like the group and the dynamics.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:21 pm  

Great stuff, Mort! Female NPCs have never received that much love in Greyhawk.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: