JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Scrying
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Scrying
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri May 13, 2016 12:30 pm  
    Scrying

Has anyone seen a scenario or tried using scrying as a form of long distance communication, sort of like a high power transmitter?

A person who has something to say (in the case I'm thinking of, an undercover operative) could start talking at a pre-arranged time (e.g., sunset), or simply hold up a blackboard with writing on it. The scryer would get the message, I'd think. If it's voluntary, there should be no need for saving throw, right? Even if one were needed, the scryer would just need something (e.g., a strand of hair) from the sender.

It takes an hour to prepare for scrying, so it wouldn't normally be something you'd do every day, particularly if the scryer had other things to do. But for pre-arranged circumstances of middling importance, it should work.

Any flaws here?
    GreySage

Fri May 13, 2016 2:15 pm  

I've never used it, though I had discussed it with a player. The game ended before we could implement it.

I see not problems, as long as the scryer and scryee have prearranged matters; "Every Friday at 7 pm."

Given that minor thing could interfere with precise timing, they should arrange that the scryee stand there with the chalk board for twenty minutes, or so. For that reason, it should take place in secure locatioin.

And as long as the target is willing, I see no need for a Saving Throw.

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:02 pm  

I would add, depending on distance between the two and the general lack of precise timekeeping that "the time" may differ in each location...
    While my players are not utilizing this particular means of communication they were challenged in the fact that teleportation from Furondy to Hochoch put them in different "time zones"

just my 2cp
    DLG
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:02 am  

The characters just need to find a matching set of wristbands of time keeping.

This particular set was made by the famed clock-work mage Casio. Along with Rolex, Omega, Titan, Bvlgari, Breguet, Chopard, Seiko, and others, Casio is one of the fabled circle of mages, clerics, and artificers known as Time Keepers of Cyndor.

Now mort is probably going to write them up. Laughing

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:53 am  

Or the less popular version by the renown but eccentric pelorian priest Cloudius Cumulus that was less effective at night for some mysterious reason....

Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:55 pm  

The Circle of Chronomancers.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:51 am  

The Time Lords

(Runs quickly from the room)

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 am  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    I would add, depending on distance between the two and the general lack of precise timekeeping that "the time" may differ in each location...
    While my players are not utilizing this particular means of communication they were challenged in the fact that teleportation from Furondy to Hochoch put them in different "time zones"

just my 2cp
    DLG

The agent is in Redhand and the receiver is in Artonsamay Keep. Not a big difference.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 21, 2020 10:43 am  

I think the time zone issue can be solved with a simple item that continuously detects scrying. Once the item alerts the person, then they can perform a certain subtle action, in return the person can scry them on and off in a specific pattern, setting the detection item off in that pattern. That way they can confirm the contact is valid and then proceed from there.

Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:45 am  

nijineko wrote:
    I think the time zone issue can be solved with a simple item that continuously detects scrying...

...a little late for that particular mission, but maybe latter... Wink

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6279
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: