ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Furyondy line of inheritance
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Furyondy line of inheritance
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:04 am  
    Furyondy line of inheritance

Hi fellows,

In your opinion, do a fist born daughter from a great Furyondyan noble house would prevail in the line of inheritance before a second born son?.
    Do something more or less canon already exists on this topic?
    In 2 words Baroness Jelleneth of Kalinstren is married with one of the PCs.
    They have 3 children but the oldest is a daughter, so can she inherit ?
    best regards.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:47 am  

In a world where women can be every bit as powerful militarily (and therefore politically) as men, there isn't likely to be much opposition to a strong female heir.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:19 pm  

At least one of the other Furyondian Great Houses is currently led by a women, so their does not exist a bar on women inheriting, though whether they rank equally with men (absolute primogeniture) or have to await a lack of male heirs (some form of Salic Law) is uncertain. While women are equally capable in the Flanaess, I would point out that only the County of Urnst and the City of Hardby are ruled by women in 576 CY, so there may be some exclusion or limitation of women from inheriting, or at least inheriting certain dynastic titles in Oeridian states (Urnst and Hardby are heavily Suel influenced).
    GreySage

Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:25 pm  

I always thought of Furyondy as very male-dominated in the traditional medieval sort of way. Add to this in that Heironeous is the primary Power of that land, and he is depicted as chivalrous...in my mind, that is a nice way of saying that men protect women (even if not warranted or necessary) and that war and physical conflict are primarily male-dominated and -centric...and I would lean towards the impression there could be a contested line of inheritance.

Just my thoughts.

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:40 pm  

There's always the possibility of a contested line of succession, male or female. In general, how serious that possibility is depends heavily on how strong the successor is, and how strong their support is.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:06 am  

Thanks mates! I'll opt for Oeridian oriented point of view.
    Paladin

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:37 am  

To expand on the woman in power.....
    tarelton wrote:
    At least one of the other Furyondian Great Houses is currently led by a women, so their does not exist a bar on women inheriting, though whether they rank equally with men (absolute primogeniture) or have to await a lack of male heirs (some form of Salic Law) is uncertain.

Other Notable women in ruler-ship (depending on your preferred CY start time):
    Furyondy
    Countess Kyaren Rhavelle
    Iuz Empire
    High Priestess Althea, The Boneheart
    Eclavdra Eilservs,Clr24 (Lolth)
    Keoland
    - County of Flen-Countess Allita Elgarin
    -County of Nimlee -Countess Lissen Rheyd
    Great Kingdom
    -Principality of Stringen-Lady Lorana Kath
    The Horned Society
    Guiliana Mortidus
    Nyrond
    -Viscounty of theEventide,
    • Valissa Arrowen High-elf female (Councilwoman), Uskarn
    • Bellis Bellweather Human female (Councilwoman), Uskarn
    • Mirria Delvane Human female (Councilwoman), Uskarn
    -Barony of Woodwych
    • Baroness Verin Talnith
    County of Urnst
    Countess Belissica of Urnst

Later than 576CY
    Ratik
    (Arch)Baroness Lady Evaleigh
    Furyondy
    Baroness Jelleneth Kalinstren (Kalinstren, Baron presumed dead)

tarelton wrote:
    While women are equally capable in the Flanaess, I would point out that only the County of Urnst and the City of Hardby are ruled by women in 576 CY, so there may be some exclusion or limitation of women from inheriting, or at least inheriting certain dynastic titles in Oeridian states (Urnst and Hardby are heavily Suel influenced).

Though not influenced by the Suel migrations (nor related to Furyondy kingdom structure),
    Her Fey Majesty, Yolande, Queen, Perfect Flower of Celene, Lady Rhalta of All Elvenkind
    And Several more, if you go into the Drow houses of the underdark, would also be ruling women during 576CY as well.

Lastly, as others have already noted, within Furyondy there was at various points in the time line women controlling seats within the Furyondy kingdom. Whether that be Gold County or later in Kalinstren.

Even within my own campaign there is similar precedent.
    King Belvor having grown tired of the undermining and backbiting of Duke Bennal Tyneman and for their heroic deeds along the Razing line, the PCs were awarded a small fief and Duchy centrally located in Branaford for the King to better control the King's highway and the revenue from the mines to the west. He Appointed the leader of the group (a Female Paladin of Mayaheine ) as the protector of the western flank and supporter of the Vesve Forest regions to the North.

DLG

-Resources:
    The World of Greyhawk Campaign Setting, From the Ashes, 1e DMG, Living Greyhawk Gazateer, Living Greyhawk Journals of Greyhawk / Furyondy/Nyrond/Onwal, and various Dungeon/ Dragon Magazines, Canonfire, The Duicarthex,Iuz the Evil . https://www.scribd.com/document/48190271/27152899-Furyondy-Gazetteer

http://www.nyrond.org/
    http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan/ghnpcz/duicarthex1.pdf
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:47 pm  

I reviewed Greyhawk Adventures and the entry on Duke Karll, pages 46-7 is edifying. He ascended the throne only the death of his three older brothers and two older sisters. Thus, in the Duchy of Urnst it appears as if absolute primogeniture is the rule. Since the County of Urnst is ruled by a Countess, I posit that at least in these two Suel-influenced states, absolute primogeniture is the rule. Of course, there is the question of the other major Suel state, Keoland of which we have little information about the succession except that the monarchy is semi-elective.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:19 am  

Furyondy is a part of old Ferron, and I believe that all the countries who seceded from the great kingdow had more or less the same rules.

I truly think that women are not barred from succession.

Another example, is Countess Katarina of Walworth, leader of the Shield Lands (in exile) and grand cousin of Earl Holmer of Walworth.

Note: Have a look at Best of Greyhawk #13 and the "Holy Pact"

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:46 am  

TSR back in the day would have said that D&D was a fantasy game and the goal was for everyone to have fun. Thus, there doesn't need to be any barriers keeping all characters from participating equally. On the other hand, it's true that women are a minority among rulers of the Flanaess. Aerdy only ever had one reigning queen and Keoland had none. It's possible that there are social barriers to women even in the absence of legal ones. Another thing to consider is that some states may allow women to become heads of state only as long as they remain unmarried, at which point their spouse becomes the titular head. It depends on your style of play, but it should be possible for a determined female character to overcome precedent and do what she wants.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: