Greyhawk Wiki
Is Down :(

Canonfire :: View topic - Verbobonc City Map - topdown, not isometric
Verbobonc City Map - topdown, not isometric

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brodomir_Rumblegut
Novice
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Verbobonc City Map - topdown, not isometric Reply with quote

Hi-
Does anyone have the topdown map from CC2 that goes with Verbobonc City.pdf (2003) by Banesfinger? I can only find the isometric one referred to as the " '3-D' map."

Thanks for the help,
Brodomir
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map located HERE is based on Banesfinger's map.

HERE is another map of Verbobonc, based of the Fate of Istus map.

You might also be interested in checking out screen shots from the Circle of Eight modpack for the TROIKA PC game The Temple of Elemental EvilThe Temple of Elemental Evil. Information on the modpack, and some images from it, can be found HERE. This game came out in 2003, and the fans are still supporting/fixing/improving it. Pretty awesome stuff. Makes we want to load that game up and play it again. Cool I am not sure what map they based their work on though.

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
mcneilk
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the map based on the fate of istus is good. better than the one from the module. I could have used this awhile ago.... Argh!
ragnar
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I stumbled across that map I used, the one which I guess has been called now the 3-D map, I don't think Fate of Istus was published. I remember when I found the book, way back in college in I think 1987, and I just loved the maps within. As my campaign was centered in the Viscounty, the map just literally leaped out at me, shouting "Verbobonc!"

I realized that some things were a bit different. For example, the river shown couldn't be the Velverdyva. However, I reasoned it COULD be the river coming from Hommlet, which wasn't named in the old T1 module. Actually, I think I was just running T1-4, which had barely come out, and it wasn't named there either. I know this was about Christmas, as I was watching Bing Crosby's White Christmas. That's where I got the name for Nigb's Run, classic EGG letter shuffle of the name Bing! I realize now that in all these years I never revealed that, nor did anyone ever figure it out! Anyway, now that it's immortalized in Anna's maps, I thought I should reveal the source of the name! :)

So, I started working on the Viscounty in overdrive, and actually created the basic layout of the state, leaving the city for last. I left the city because I was trying to figure out how to get a large printed copy, like big poster sized similar to the GH Boxed Set size. Remember, it was in the late 80's, so stuff wasn't so easy (or cheap) to do then, and I was only 18!

I eventually got a couple of large maps printed, which I still have rolled up with a rubber band around them, in my closet upstairs. I used one as the party would go to the big city, as we all called it then, and I would just use a highlighter to color in buildings as I created various parts while playing. The eventual letter and number designations came later, sometime in the early-mid 90's.

By then I had made maybe 3 or 4 dozen places, and had a very good idea about how things worked in the city, its basic layout, etc. I also had bought Fate of Istus, which I must say I didn't really like. This was probably because I had put so much work into my own creation over the years. Still, I incorporated it as much as I could. The biggest thing I did was to change the names of a lot of places. I wanted to match the ones in Fate of Istus, so I just changed them. There were, of course, some map issues that I didn't change, but for the most part I tried to bring my own stuff inline with the now-published material.

If you note, the Velverdyva River is NOT included on that map either. This was something I was happy about, for it allowed me to use my map without as much change. The Pond of the Heart was there, though not detailed at all, so I just made it part of the Nigb's Run. I also discussed, though didn't detail, the Rivertown to the north of the city, which is not shown on the map but borders the Ververdyva. IMC it actually has been totally washed away a few times by the flooding river, so it's pretty much a semi-permanent shanty town!

This about the time I stumbled upon Tom Harrison's stuff online. I remember that the internet was very limited at the time. We were all using the old Greytalk list, there was no chatting, heck, pictures took about 5 minutes for my computer to load! Anyway, I never did speak with him, as at the time it just wasn't so easy to track down a person online and such yet. All I had was his name. I don't think I was able to even contact him with an email, though it's possible I did and just don't remember now. Still, I gave him credit on my Oerth Journal article, because I couldn't have done it without his material. I then put everything together, and ended up with what became, I think, the first serious look at Verbobonc ever done.

I'm amazed at how this lasted and eventually spread out through the web to DMs all over the world. I've stumbled upon my old creation, morphed in various ways by myriad DMs, and taken in totally different directions. It's probably one of the things that I'm actually most proud of creating, as it seems to have made a big impact on untold numbers of Greyhawk Campaigns. I never imagined that would be so. Anyway, I just felt, after having stumbled upon some more incarnations of Verbobonc, which all seemed to derive, ultimately, from this source (which of course came from EGG and T1 in the first place!), that I'd give a short history of it's creation.

Enjoy!
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnar, that's some great stuff, man! Thanks for filling us in on that bit of history. I love the name "Nigb's Run". It sounds just like many of the types of names Gary, himself, invented for people and places in the World of Greyhawk.

Happy

SirXaris
JohnD
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cebrion wrote:

HERE is another map of Verbobonc, based of the Fate of Istus map.

Anyone know if that first map is available via another link?

Edit: found my copy of the FoI module.
Icarus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnD wrote:
Cebrion wrote:

Anyone know if that first map is available via another link?

So, there's a bug in the Canonfire link process, right now.
The code was changed so that there's a section of the address that refer's to the CF HTML code - literally in the address, it says "cfhtml" .

But, if you ever get the error page that the link above takes you to, all you have to do is edit the address in your browser's bar to read "cf" instead of "cfhtml", and it will work just fine.

Here is the same link as above, where I've done that, and I will leave the address visible so that others can see the section I mean. http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=762
So, the map is still availoable through the post in the thread to which this link leads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Icarus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragnar wrote:
.. I then put everything together, and ended up with what became, I think, the first serious look at Verbobonc ever done.

I'm amazed at how this lasted and eventually spread out through the web to DMs all over the world. I've stumbled upon my old creation, morphed in various ways by myriad DMs, and taken in totally different directions. It's probably one of the things that I'm actually most proud of creating, as it seems to have made a big impact on untold numbers of Greyhawk Campaigns. I never imagined that would be so....

So, Ragnar, I'm curious ... and a little confused.
To which map are you referring when you say this? Which is the one that you created, and do we know you by another name? I want to be certain I am able to credit you in the creation of it, in my files and if I ever am discussing it online.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Verbobonc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: