JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Faerie Fire vs. Invisibility
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Faerie Fire vs. Invisibility
    GreySage

Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:07 pm  
    Faerie Fire vs. Invisibility

The description of this 1st lvl Priest (Weather sphere) spell states, "Note that outlining can render otherwise invisible creatures visible."

Wondering if this is automatic when the spell is cast in an area wherein an invisible being lurks, OR that the caster must first see the invisible being and uses this spell to outline it for others to take notice...

It doesn't really say one way or the other.

Ideas?

Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:25 am  

No targeting is needed. The spell affects an area, and anything within the area gets lit up.

Last edited by Cebrion on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:23 pm  

Yeah, I was wondering about that. There is a limit to the overall area of objects or beings that can be outlined, as it is based on caster level. I thought that things are only outlined when the spell is cast, and things entering would not be 'lit up' since they were not present upon the initial onset.

Furthermore, I assume that outlined objects leaving the area of effect would lose their faerie fire aura.

Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:31 pm  

Scratch that second part (edited it out). Things in the area are "lit up", and they glow for the duration of the spell no matter where they go thereafter. Also, the area of effect of faerie fire is updated in The Priest's Spell Compendium Vol. 1 to "10 sq. ft./level in a 40-fi. radius" (similar to what it was in 1E). As to what the spell will affect, I would use the 1E description which says roughly 1 man-sized creature per caster level will be affected.

Thu May 17, 2018 1:24 am  

Rather than create a new topic I thought I'd just tack this question onto an existing faerie fire thread;

Would a faerie fire spell cast on an opponent affected by mirror image reveal the caster? My feeling is yes as faerie fire cannot outline noncorporeal, ethereal, or gaseous creatures implying that it can only outline creatures or objects with substance. It does make this first level spell the bane of 2nd level illusions though.

What are your thoughts?
    GreySage

Sat May 19, 2018 8:39 am  

The spell description doesn't say one way or the other with respect to phantasms, only specifically stating that it WILL reveal invisible creatures.

One could interpret this to mean that 'false' illusions will NOT be revealed, as invisibility only renders physical objects/creatures unseen and does not affect their physical forms.

However, if you permit Faerie Fire to work in this fashion, that means it will NOT be affected by illusions of any sort (such as Spectral Force), and that could potentially be unbalancing. That is typically the perspective that I take as DM...does the 'ruling' unbalance the game system?

Spells such as True Seeing are typically required to foil illusions of this type instead of Faerie Fire.

Ultimately it is your call, but I think that I would be hesitant to allow a 1st level spell such 'carte blanche.'

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Sat May 19, 2018 1:03 pm  

Good points Lanthorn, my gut feeling is that allowing faerie fire to counter mirror image opens a whole can of worms.
    GreySage

Sat May 19, 2018 3:53 pm  

My thoughts exactly, but as you well know, I am always one to make inquiries for a multiplicity of views on a variety of topics!

Keep your queries coming. I need the company! Happy

-Lanthorn, Sometimes with Answers
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: