Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - 2 Old Campaign Worlds For 5e To Be Announced JULY 23
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    2 Old Campaign Worlds For 5e To Be Announced JULY 23
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:21 am  
    2 Old Campaign Worlds For 5e To Be Announced JULY 23

They buried the lead in this article titled: Dungeons & Dragons Has "No Current Plans" for New Original Settings for Fifth Edition

Right neare the middle the put this gem in.

Quote:
    However, Stewart's comments shouldn't be taken that there aren't any plans to add to campaign settings for Fifth Edition content. Earlier in the Fireside Chat, Stewart confirmed that they would be announcing news on introducing classic D&D settings on July 23rd.

We've known they were going to announce more settings available on DMs Guild for publishing along with a brief campaign guide (probably e-format) to convert the setting to the new edition of D&D, but now we have a date for when the announcement will happen.

Whatever worlds they release, that will unleash community creativity and provide a safe harbor legally for that content. Granted it will all be 5e so that doesn't help those playing legacy systems or alternates like Pathfinder or ORSIC.

I would be surprised (pleasantly) if Greyhawk is in the first wave of these announcements.

LINK: http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/07/09/dungeons-and-dragons-new-campaign-settings-5th-edition/
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:02 am  

I am hopeful, but I don't expect Greyhawk in this announcement. They seem to have been emphasizing psionics recently, so that opens up Spelljammer, Eberron, and possibly Dark Sun. Perhaps they will open all worlds for DMs Guild in one fell swoop.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:26 am  
    Re: 2 Old Campaign Worlds For 5e To Be Announced JULY 23

Saracenus wrote:

Quote:
    However, Stewart's comments shouldn't be taken that there aren't any plans to add to campaign settings for Fifth Edition content. Earlier in the Fireside Chat, Stewart confirmed that they would be announcing news on introducing classic D&D settings on July 23rd.

Whatever worlds they release, that will unleash community creativity and provide a safe harbor legally for that content...

-Of course, others will point out that it would leave the Flanaess open to all sorts of mischief. How does Iuz having a change of heart and going CG sound? Or Greyhawk attacked by Cannibalistic Halflings from the Under Dark? A maybe a spell plague? Laughing

[/quote]...Granted it will all be 5e so that doesn't help those playing legacy systems or alternates like Pathfinder or ORSIC...[/quote]

-Conversion is easy. "Editions Change. Greyhawk Endures."
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:31 pm  

That's honestly why the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is my favorite setting book (at least of the ones I own) since it's, like, 99% lore — making it easy for me to base any edition's campaign on.

I remember hearing ages ago that a potential "5e Greyhawk" was to be reset to 576 CY, though… (which, I think, would match with Mordenkainen's less-than-optimal depiction in Curse of Strahd?)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:04 am  

I tend to go back to the 1E World of Greyhawk Glossography, the gold books. I like the darker feel in that, as the world is less populated by humans and demi-humans. I like the feeling that the wilderness is a dangerous, unknown place. the 3E LGG just makes Greyhawk too safe for me. My 2 coppers, anyways.
    CF Admin

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:39 am  

http://www.flamesrising.com/play-dd-in-ravnica-eberron/

No Greyhawk---surprise surprise ;)

Allan.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:06 am  

Somebody finally came to the realization that the cross-pollination of two obviously related products probably wouldn't be a bad idea. The M:tG world should have been done up as a D&D setting shortly after WotC picked up TSR. Long, long overdue. Should be loads of fun for the writers to develop a campaign world based on the characters/creatures and all the little snippets of info on magic cards over the years. Lots of battle spells to be added to the D&D repertoire, and you just know everyone will want to buy all FIFTY volumes of the Ravnica Monster Manuals! Laughing

Some will like Eberron too. Many will pilfer shamelessly from these to suit their own ends. Not surprised to see Greyhawk missing from that list, despite all the GH talk from the WotC staff.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:14 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Somebody finally came to the realization that the cross-pollination of two obviously related products probably wouldn't be a bad idea. The M:tG world should have been done up as a D&D setting shortly after WotC picked up TSR. Long, long overdue. Should be loads of fun for the writers to develop a campaign world based on the characters/creatures and all the little snippets of info on magic cards over the years. Lots of battle spells to be added to the D&D repertoire, and you just know everyone will want to buy all FIFTY volumes of the Ravnica Monster Manuals! Laughing

There were four previous attempts over the years to bring the two together, but they all failed, presumably due to internal politics: see https://sacnoths.blogspot.com/2017/09/twenty-years.html

Allan.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: