JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Kershane Pass
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Kershane Pass
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:44 pm  
    Kershane Pass

So, I was under the impression that Kershane Pass ran through the middle of the Clatspurs in eastern Perrenland. I've seen elsewhere that the Velverduva Gorge is equated with Kershane Pass. Based on the statement that the Monastery of St Cuthbert looks upon the pass and that the monastery is in the Canton of Clatspurgen while the Velverdyva runs through the Canton of Quagfludt, it would seem the Kershane Pass and the Velverdyva River valley/gorge are two different places; is that correct?

Kwint

Last edited by kwint on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:35 am; edited 2 times in total
    GreySage

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:30 am  

Anna's map confuses things by placing the monastery by the Velverdyva and calling that Kershane Pass, while having the city of Kershane itself in a separate valley to the east.

Though perhaps that's for the best, since I'm not sure it makes sense to put a monastery of St. Cuthbert in an isolated, cursed elven valley.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:19 am  

So, outside of the LG Gazetteer quote about the Monastery of St Cuthbert, the LG Perrenland fluff and Anna's Kershane Pass/Velverdyva Gorge labeling, does anyone know of any other references to the Pass that is as "canon" as the above resources?
    CF Admin

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:34 pm  

kwint wrote:
    So, outside of the LG Gazetteer quote about the Monastery of St Cuthbert, the LG Perrenland fluff and Anna's Kershane Pass/Velverdyva Gorge labeling, does anyone know of any other references to the Pass that is as "canon" as the above resources?

Jason Zavoda's index mentions only one other possible source:

Quote:

Kershane Pass [STR]
    LGG - 86
    LGJ#5 - 30

That said, I couldn't find mention of Kershane Pass anywhere on page 30 of LGJ#5, so I assume the issue and/or page # is a typo. I didn't find anything on the nearby pages in issue 5, or in the LG Dispatches from issues 1-5 in general either :-/

Allan.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:17 am  

Okie-doke, thanks guys.

Kwint
    GreySage

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:08 pm  

The LGG says (page 86):

Quote:
    In the canton of Clatspurgen, the monastery-fortress of St. Cuthbert in Kershane Pass was the center of opposition to Iggwilv, holding the great valley through which the Velverdyva leaves the realm.

If this valley is the one "where the Velverdyva leaves the realm," that's pretty unambiguous, isn't it?

I should add that any pass notable enough to be named in the LGG is likely visible on the Darlene map.

Kwint wrote:
    Based on the statement that the Monastery of St Cuthbert looks upon the pass and that the monastery is in the Canton of Clatspurgen while the Velverdyva runs through the Canton of Quagfludt

I'm guessing whoever decided where the boundaries of the cantons were missed that line. Still, Kershane Pass is explicitly the valley with the Velverdyva in it, whatever canton that happens to be.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: